Michigan Passes Ban on Partner Health Care Coverage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 22, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not a slow news day today. Just in time for the holidays too. :(

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...P_Passes_Ban_on_Partner_Health_Care_Coverage/

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, you must not have a lot to do at work either. lol :D :)

BTW, Snyder is cutting EVERYTHING he can to balance the budget, so I don't think this is an anti-gay thing as much as you'd think.

link

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Why not? If they'd be likely to die, they'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population. [/bitter sarcasm]

You suppose the timing was deliberate, to avoid Wisconsin/Ohio-style protests?

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The GOP has declared war on gay people. There is no doubt about that.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Michigan is slowly becoming a backwater state and is circling the drain economically. Reading this is sad, and I hope more intelligent forward thinking leaders reverse this cruel and foolish decision someday.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are some interesting things going on in this state. They're just not in Detroit (or Lansing). But we have a lot of stuff to deal with. I don't know that this helps -- honestly, Snyder is making many tough decisions to cut services, but same-sex domestic benefits is not a large cost center (this is an ideological move, not a pragmatic one). Note of course that the universities are exempted because Snyder won't risk harming U of M or MSU's international reputations....

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Elect Republicans on their promises of job creation and growth and lower taxes, and THIS is what you get.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm afraid you missed our last governor- democrat- to which we call her tenure "the lost decade".

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So he is giving corporations tax cuts and making up the lost revenue by taxing the middle class and people who live off their pensions?

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What are they going to call Snyder's quadrennial term? 4-Q?

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The lost decade? Yeah, that wasn't just Michigan, and I'm afraid the declines that caused so many difficulties for manufacturing in that state were more national and worldwide than merely because of your governor.

(edit) Plus, did she do things that she didn't campaign on? Did she run on a platform and then turn around and do radical things where her intentions were never disclosed to the public (a la Scott Walker and your new unconstitutional financial managers law?)

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I fully support this ban - as long as couples in civil unions are given the same opportunity for partner health care coverage that married spouses get.

EDIT: I see that a quote in the original article claims that coverage for children is also banned. Is there a source for this bill? That's pretty hard to believe, right there.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Didn't you know that Republicans only like children before they are born?

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not this one. :)

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed. I've been hearing in Britain that the government wants to allow unmarried couples the rights to transfer inheritance and things like that. I think its adding unnecessary complications. If you want the advanced rights get married/a civil union. Marriage isn't that big a deal and is a legal partnership document which comes with a bunch of rights - and splitting them up too much just makes the legal system even more complicated.

That said if gays in the state can't get civil unions that's different and obviously gays should have full marriage rights.

Agreed, that's really bad.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Michigan does not allow or recognize civil unions.

Yep, sure is.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That makes this ban discriminatory, IMO. Bad move, Michigan.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- which is why I brought it up. The money part of this is inconsequential. This was an ideological call, and a very bad one.

I am tired of crap like this happening in a country that claims to value everyone. It's inexcusable and un-American.

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

U of M is about the only good thing Michigan has going for it. I say this having lived a solid 20 years of my life there.

Edit: ok the dunes in the north west are pretty excellent.

20. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

disagree michigan has a bunch of cool stuff.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

+1.

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I see it as more of a dick move myself.

Petty and spiteful.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd add ArtPrize, Interlochen, the local craft beer scene (Founders, Bells, and the large number of much smaller quality operations). Grand Rapids local theatre scene has been moving in the right direction. A WMU prof won the fiction NBA last year. YMMV and I admit readily I had little interest in coming back here initially. But there are nice things going on. Most of them also nicely cater to the kind of people who are not homophobes.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, you make fair points. The local beers are definitely something I miss.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sure it is. Otherwise a move would be made to cut all heterosexual spouses off the insurance and save some money that way.