Michigan State Rep Barred From Speaking After 'Vagina' Comments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This one really astounds me.

Story

All I can say is that these are our elected social conservatives, people. The abortion issue notwithstanding, as they were debating that; because of one medically and anatomically correct word, the Republicans in the Michigan House completely denied Rep. Brown her right to free speech. So when the Reds don't agree, they move to silence those disagreeing with them? Is this really who we want running our country?

BL.

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yes

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A room full of adults can't handle a medical term?

4. bradl, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to take this personal, but would your wife agree?

If so, then places like Syria, Iran, and Egypt must look like paradise to you... Or the United States pre-1920.

BL.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Vagina vagina vagina.

Yep, the sky's still up there. Another Nipplegate-style piece of nonsense from the Puritans across the Pond :p

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Americanistan never ceases to amuse. What's next, stoning women for adultery? :eek:

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This thread is hurting my vagina. I skimmed the article but I was being a little facetious when I said yes, since at that time I didn't even look at the article.

After reading the article, I don't think they are offended by the word "vagina" it's the fact that she says “I’m flattered you’re all so concerned about my vagina. But no means no.” When in fact they aren't concerned about her vagina, they are concerned about protecting innocent human life.

Of course that's my opinion on why the R's were upset with her, unless you can show me something that proved they are offended by the word vagina, this is just another left wing propaganda tool.

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Show you something that proved they were offended? Okay.. here you go:
    Video of the actual events:

If your own eyes looking in their chambers isn't proof, then I don't know what is.

Either way, this still doesn't not mitigate the fact that she was denied her right to free speech by being an elected representative and banned from performing her duties as an elected representative.

BL.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is my favorite quote,

So now women find the word "vagina" offensive? These people have lost their minds.

10. Moyank24, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Apparently in addition to not believing in women's rights, they don't believe in the 1st amendment.

The left wing doesn't need a "propaganda" tool - the conservatives are doing a fine job making themselves look bad all on their own.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I just watched the video. Seems like a plea to extend late term abortions.

Probably what they are offended by. I don't see anything that show they are offended by the word vagina at all. Except that the jewish woman accused people of being interested in her vagina. When in fact they are more interested in the health of a baby.

Funny they called it a baby. I thought it wasn't a baby until it's born.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? Did I just read this right?

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yes the Left wing does a fine job of making themselves look bad.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Oops! I missed a little word or 2 in there. :eek:

----------

Eh, it was a typo....I wouldn't want you to get too excited and assume my thinking has become as antiquated as theirs (and yours apparently). :D

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

They asked her to 'respect the decorum' of the house, after she used the phrase 'I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'"

So clearly she was admonished for that. Bizarre.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think we call that a Freudian slip.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have a feeling conservatives wouldn't let Freud speak either.

All that talk of sex and vaginas....

18. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

More from Bynum and Brown:

http://039.housedems.com/news/artic...r-silence-women-legislators-for-fighting-back

She goes further:

Seeing that this happened directly after she said the word, either the Reds can't handle using a term in a non-sexual anatomical fashion, or have some of their own demons that they need to exercise. If Latin doesn't have a problem with it (and by their own profession in being politicians, they had to learn Latin), they shouldn't either.

So it boils down to: did they violate her rights and views based on the 1st (Freedom of Speech), or violate her rights and views based on the 1st (Freedom of Religion), or did they violate her rights and views based on the various Civil Rights acts passed in the 60s and the 90s?

My guess? all of the above.

BL.

19. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

I think the 'offensive' part of what she's saying is the (sarcastic or otherwise) implication that the speaker was 'interested [sexually] in her vagina' and that 'no means no' [implying a sexual advance?]

The word vagina itself would no doubt be perfectly acceptable in this legislative body when used to describe a medical procedure, etc. However, in this instance, it was clearly used in an offensive way... right? If you can't see that, I'd say you're probably a bit biased. ;) Imagine a man standing up and telling a female speaker that she was clearly interested in his penis, but no means no...

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They clearly are interested with what she does with her vagina.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Let's be real - these guys probably haven't seen a vagina in years. People like that are always afraid of things they don't know....

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sure they have. They just had to pay for it. ;) And I bet they got charged a lot of money, from the looks of them. :)

23. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Ignoring the the actual motives and philosophies of your opponents in an attempt to belittle them or score cheap political points is a very short term strategy. If you want to engage in an ideological battle and win based on the merits of your position, you'll have to take a more tactful/mature approach.

Frankly, belittling your opponent more often leads to negative consequences in the form of motivating your opponent into superior future performances. (without Scott Walker, the Wisconsin recall would not have been possible... but without the marches/recall, his dramatic win and no doubt amplified efforts towards newly validated budget cuts would not have been possible.)

The conservative position (agree with it or not) is that the fetus represents life, and therefore the mother's right to control her body is outweighed by the fetuses right to live. Demagoguery gets us no where with this topic... as everyone involved simply speaks in circles.

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

The long term is already won. In the meantime we just have to sit back and watch the right wing scrawl around in the muck.

Might as well take a few pot shots at them while they're down there, for kicks.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That was hysterical and begs the question, should men flee the room if women are talking about their genitals?

But, that just illustrates the problem further. If they have a problem with her argument, they shouldn't silence her because she was being "offensive," they should have a debate because that's the job.

If she said one of the 200 synonyms for vagina that are offensive (and Urban Dictionary's list is both thorough and hilarious), this argument might have legs.

I think the Mich. representatives are using language as an excuse to bar Brown's arguments. There is obviously a complicated philosophical question that must be wrestled with, but the other Michigan representatives ran for language orthodoxy (can't say 'case' on the floor).