Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Anyone know of any 256 GB micro flash drives? The kind that are literally the size of a thumbnail or thereabouts. (Here's a 128 GB one)

If 256 GB versions are not out yet, do you think we are ikely to see them anytime soon, or have we reached some kind of physical limit?

The only 256 GB ones I've been able to find on Amazon and ebay appear to be scams.

Thanks.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
FWIW: I have one of those Sandisk critters and it works as advertised. But, it gets noticeably warm, very warm, when copying/transferring large files, e.g., actively running for >5 minutes. What affect that has on reliability/life span, I dunno.

While there is a tiny hole to affix a strap/lanyard (which I strongly recommend as it's so easily "lost"), one needs use a threader to attach such. BTW, a strap is not included.

Also, because it is so small, depending on what's connected where, it may be a tad awkward to remove, especially when inserted in the back of the device, ergo the recommendation to affix a strap.

Stormz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
FWIW: I have one of those Sandisk critters and it works as advertised. But, it gets noticeably warm, very warm, when copying/transferring large files, e.g., actively running for >5 minutes. What affect that has on reliability/life span, I dunno.

While there is a tiny hole to affix a strap/lanyard (which I strongly recommend as it's so easily "lost"), one needs use a threader to attach such. BTW, a strap is not included.

Also, because it is so small, depending on what's connected where, it may be a tad awkward to remove, especially when inserted in the back of the device, ergo the recommendation to affix a strap.
Good recommendation. I already have the 128GB version of this and I keep mine on a very small, thin keyring loop which in turn is looped through my main keyring. Then when I want to use it, I just detach the small loop from the main loop and plug it into the USB port with the small loop still attached. This makes it easier to remove.

One thing I did end up doing was removing the protective cap that covers the metal bit. Not ideal I know, but it was always so loose that it kept falling off. At least this way I know where it is and can use it if I really need it.

Yes, I know what you mean about the heat. When I set mine up to part-clone the first time, it was plugged in and copying for almost 10 hours. It is a bit concerning, that.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.