Micro scratches on iPhone 4 screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Nov 10, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

So I don't have a screen protector in my iPhone 4 and I've noticed that my screen has plently of micro scratches that you can see when you look at them closely and at a certain angle. I have no idea what caused them. I always keep my phone in my front pants pocket and I don't ever keep anything else in that pocket.

Anyway what is done is done. Is there any way to remove those scratches? How much will Apple charge to replace the screen (just curious). Although I am OCD about things like this, I will not get the screen replaced if it is too expensive. I will probably just put a screen protector on it.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i dont think Apple even bothers to replace the screen, they just charge u for a whole replacement.

3. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if there's a way to remove them, but if you put a screen protector on it now, especially one like the Power Support Anti-Glare, it likely would make the type of scratches you're referring to all but invisible (and of course protect your phone from future scratches)

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

So, now the reason to not go naked hits home.

The screen has a coating (like clearcoat on your car) that is susceptible to scratches.

Nothing you can do at this point.

I would, however, consider covering the screen if you dont want it to get worse.

Its a shame that Apple produced this beautiful screen and it scratches like plastic.

I would love to go naked, but once I get a scratch thats all I'll see.

5. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

You could just pay like $200 or $250 and they'll send you a new refurb unit.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Sounds defective to me. I never get any scratches.

7. sasasule macrumors member

sasasule

Micro scratches you will see even if you buy brand new car special if color is black i can put money that you have black iPhone...It just depend from which angle you are looking and how light is reflecting on surface of material that you are looking...Same thing with iphone :)

My tip to you change angle of looking hahah and buy damn screen protector

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If the scratches are all you see, you have too much time on your hands. Do you also put a case on your car so it doesn't get scratched? It's really a shame that people are so worked up about keeping their devices spotless that they forget that it's just a phone and wear and tear will happen.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Did you have your iPhone for some time before you put a screen protector on?

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, a brand new car will get tiny scratches the moment it gets its first car wash. Does that mean u will want to get a new one or re-sprayed?

11. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPhone for 6 months now and never put a screen protector on it before. However with all the micro scratches, I am planning to put one soon. It is a black iPhone 4 btw.

Also the scratches are obviously caused by something rubbing against the screen. I have babied my iPhone from day one, so that upsets me a little. Not once have I put it with something else in the pocket at the same time. Maybe the denim pockets themselves caused the scratches (I only wear jeans to work every day)? Maybe the scratches were caused by my excessive wiping because I hate finger prints and wipe the screen multiple times a day?

Lesson learned. I will put a screen protector on my next iPhone from day one.

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I've seen micro scratches on an iPhone 4. So when I got my 4S I put on a screen protector right after I took out the stock film.

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's possible... sometime debris gets on your cloth and you end up scratching up your screen. The debris could be anything as small as dust. I'm going to put a skin on mine the day I get it, probably right after I turn it on and check for dead pixels.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The scratches were caused because you didn't have a screen protector, from normal use. I can't see how anybody can go scratch free without a screen protector.

15. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Micro scratches are normal, to be honest. It's just the oleophobic coating getting some wear. As long as you don't have any scratches that are deep enough to cause the 'rainbow effect' on your display, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Certainly doesn't justify putting a sheet of even-more-scratch-prone plastic on top of it, in my opinion.

16. steveca macrumors 6502

the device is still functional. Might lose some appeal but like someone said it is a device that is meant to be used. Give some more time and you will get more than just scracthes... at least if you are like me ;)

17. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

there MICRO scratches, can't you live with them

18. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Anyone use the Moshi iVisor screen? It looks really good. I wonder how bad it scratches though.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

fud

OP if the scratches bother you that much, just toss a screen protector on...the scratches will never be visible.

20. jekyoo macrumors 6502

you're not looking hard enough. it happens on every iPhone that has no screen protector.

----------

return it and get a new one if you're super OCD about the micro scratches.

21. jeffsaha macrumors member

Sand is normally the main culprit when it comes to micro scratches. There are very few surfaces that will be scratch proof when it comes to sand, even one grain of sand getting rubbed into it either from wiping or just general use will cause this.

It's prob more prevalent in dryer climates where there are particles flying around everywhere. I also went naked for a while and just bit it and bought some Power Support Crystal films before I would get any micro scratches on the screen. Super clear and if you spend the time to put it on properly people/you will barely notice that there is a protector on there.

22. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I protect mine so when I go to resell it I don't have to worry if the person buying it is OCD about scratches because it is perfect