(Micro)Scratches on Stainless Steel Space Black (from Milanese?)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by James.K.Polk, Jun 2, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the (probably repeat) question - I tried search but it seemed all the threads were older; maybe we all got over it.

I purchased a SS-SB Series 2 for a decent deal. When I looked over the Watch, I couldn't see any scratches or scuffs and I happily went on my way. At work, under the harsh overhead lights, it's apparently that the bottom 1/2 of the screen has a number of "microscratches" that sort of look to resemble the Milanese pattern.

My question is this - for the Series 2, was this 'normal'? If they are just in the coating, as I assume some will say, is there any way to remove them?

Thanks!

2. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

My understanding unfortunately is that the DLC coating on the SB milanese bracelet (assuming you do have the black bracelet) is enough to actually scratch the sapphire crystal (and possibly even the case and caseback). You can always try removing the oleophobic coating with I think rubbing alcohol or something similar and see if these scratches vanish. But I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I suppose "diamond-like" should be taken at its word. It's obviously not the end of the world and I have AC+ if it frustrates me too much... just a little bizarre to have a self-scratching watch.

4. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

yep. still might be worth trying to remove the oleophobic coating, just to see.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

If the sensors work,why bother? If you have no coating left after removal,you will sure get it scratched much worse.

6. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a "best" way to do that?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    Very true. Everything works no problem and like I said, the scratches are really only visible under office/direct lighting. But unfortunately that's a condition I'm frequently in...

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In a different thread (Not sure which one), a number of other forum members were mentioning how the Space black Milanese loop was scratching the display and sensor area of the Watch. At first, no one was sure what was causing the scratches. Then multiple members stated it was their black Milanese band coming into contact with the Watch. Once it's scratched, it's obviously permanent due to the diamond like carbon from the band.

The biggest caution is to be mindful of how you set the Watch down when you're through wearing it. Because the Milanese band makes contact with the Watch, being its not rigid like other bands.

8. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely the back is scratched up but it works and I don't see it, so I don't really mind. Since I bought it second hand, can't complain much - I just would have taken care of it if I bought it new (and paid 2x as much...)

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's just one of those accidents that someone has to happen experience this and create a thread as you did, which at least there is some formal way of knowing how to be cautious with that specific band. Others had mentioned it on various threads, but it serves as a reminder. At least you have a good attitude about it.

10. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what's best but I think isopropyl alcohol will remove the oleophobic coating on the screen. that coating does not protect against scratches - only makes it easier to remove fingerprints and prevent smudging. the ceramic caseback where the sensors are located doesn't have any coating on it that I am aware of.