Micro SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I have just recently unlocked my off contract AT&T iPhone 4. I would like to test it out using a T-Mobile SIM. Do they use Micro SIM or the old standard size?

And if not, I've seen and heard that people can easily modify the SIM down to Micro size. But once it's been trimmed, you won't be able to put it back into the original t-mobile phone again? Not sure if all tmobile phones have been updated to use the micro-sim or what not so I'd like to know before I start trimming. This is just for testing my unlock, and then I'm putting the sim back to brother's phone (tmobile).

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you trim it, you won't be able to use it in a standard sim slot. Why not just order up a free one or try a friends ?

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Since im in the US, the only other GSM carrier is T-mobile. So I'm limited. Do the newer tmobile phones use Microsims?

4. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I'm sure T-Mobile can give you a microsim if you ask for it. Some of the latest T-Mobile phones (eg Galaxy S3) certainly do use them.

5. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Wouldn't i need a SIM that's "activated" though? I assume that a new blank SIM card wouldn't work.

6. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Correct. An un-activated SIM won't work :rolleyes: ... I suggest activating on a PAYG plan?

7. Sbary128 macrumors newbie

why not buy a noosy micro sim cutter to trimme it, and use a micro sim adapter to recover the sim to normal size ?

8. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Go activate a tmobile pay as you go sim at one of their stores. It's only $10 to activate and they will give you the microsim.