Micro to Nano SIM swap (ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArtificialGrape, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ArtificialGrape macrumors newbie

I used my daughter's upgrade eligibility to order an iPhone 5 for myself from the Apple Store.

I'm on AT&T. What do I need to do when the phone arrives? Before activating it just go to an ATT store and request a nano SIM for my phone number? Any hassle to anticipate?

thanks,
    -ArtificialGrape

2. benguild macrumors 6502a

Bro, she's gonna be pissed!

You'll need to get two new SIMs, since it'll deactivate her old one (in her phone currently) and activate your new one with her number. There's no way around this. The contract phone has to be activated on that number, and will be done so on the Nano SIM that ships inside the phone.

Then, since the SIM in her current phone is larger than an Nano SIM, rather than switch it... you'll need a new Nano SIM for you and a new regular/micro SIM for her.

SIM cards cannot be switched to different accounts/numbers or reused on the network, FYI. I've dealt with this before.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sorry but this is incorrect. OP just needs to bring the phone (and possibly his daughters) to an AT&T store BEFORE activation and request an upgrade swap. They'll move his line to the new phone and it's associated sim.

It's all included in the Upgrade Guide as well. Read section 3.

4. ArtificialGrape thread starter macrumors newbie

She gets 1 year old well-maintained hand me down phones and it doesn't even count towards birthday or Christmas gift, so she takes it pretty well :)

I was hoping that I could avoid having to replace her current micro SIM if I never activated the new 5 before getting the new nano SIM with my number, but perhaps not.

Both phone numbers are under my AT&T account, so I can just get the 2 SIMs described above, correct?

Thanks.

----------

Cool, thanks for the pointer.

5. iPhone~lover macrumors newbie

Nano Sim

I just spoke with AT&T rep. She said when I receive the iPhone 5 just call CS and tell them to activate with the preferred cell number instead of the one with the upgrade. She said this wouldn't be any hassle at all!!!! Relief! :)

6. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I assume that this would work for regular sim to nano right?

7. ArtificialGrape thread starter macrumors newbie

Even easier -- great!

8. benguild macrumors 6502a

That didn't work for me last time, but good luck.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

I am betting that you ordered from Apple last time. :cool: There are different steps for Apple vs AT&T orders.

Best answer is to check back here on MacRumors before you attempt to do the activation next Friday. The Activation servers will be hammered and there will be many request for "Where can I get another Micro-SIM or Nano-SIM depending on which type you kill durring the attemps of the Upgrade Swap.

It happens every year! ;)

Dave

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the nano sim is thinner than the cut down microsim. You need to shave some of the micro down for it to even fit