Microaggressions: "America is The Land of Opportunity" is hate speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 15, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Department of Thought Control at the University of California--a 200,000-student system--has released the latest iteration of it's speech codes.

When the phrase "America is the land of opportunity" is considered a form of racist, sexist, or classist speech, it's clear that the Looney Left has finally gone off the deep end.

This link will open a .pdf in your browser:

http://www.ucop.edu/academic-person...eminars/Tool_Recognizing_Microaggressions.pdf

The breadth of this Orwellian document is truly alarming. It should come as no surprise that the Cultural Marxists are in charge of the UC system, since Obama's hulking, clip-haired former Secretary of Homeland Security is the current chancellor.

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

-- 1984, by George Orwell

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    "A person asking an Asian American or Latino American to teach them words in their native language."

Crap, I did this one just the other day. But on the plus side, I now know what "camino" means.

Guess hate pays.

3. chown33, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

chown33 macrumors 604

So if "micro" is an SI prefix meaning 1e-6 (one millionth), and there are 200k students, if one student says this, it comes out to 5 microaggressions, as amortized over the entire student population. That's 1.25 microaggressions per word, if we don't count "the" and "of". If it were an essay, I wouldn't count "is", but here it does seem to be a major contributor to the microaggression level.

Also, I've been to Opportunity, where I encountered no microagressions at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity,_Washington

I've even been to nearby Liberty Lake, where I exercised my liberty to swim in the lake. It was cold water / l'eau froid / agua fria.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree the Microaggressions listed in the PDF link are real, but only when used in a certain context and/or tone. FOX News is a good example where you'll hear it a lot. Their use of some of these phrases can be considered Microaggressions.

I don't think you can apply the PDF in general, but more in general within the right and/or far right.

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Anyone who can't see this stifling of speech happening right now is blind. I witnessed and fought against it when I was a professor. It's a toxicity that seems to spread throughout the campus. Ultimately, I decided to hand my contract renewal back in and choose a different profession. The day to day wasn't worth it, and turns out, the choice was one of the best I've ever made.

Look at the story of the Puritans. Complained about being persecuted, only to find a new country and immediately start doing some persecuting of their own. Look at McCarthyism. Look at the manipulation of language throughout history. Nothing happening right now hasn't happened before. That's the worst part.

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

So the article says what exactly about Fox News and about the Far Right?

Guessing I may have read a different article than you read.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet we have codified Native Americans as "merciless Indian SAVAGES" in the Declaration of Independence, which forms this country.. something that the political Right seems want to live, breathe, and die by.

Do we really want to go down this road, as there is plenty of which to play tit-for-tat.

BL.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Feel free. There's plenty of censorship opportunities that have came from both sides. Ten years ago, America was consumed in patriotic language and lambasted anyone who dared question their loyalty. In an attempt to control language, that type of mindset is no different from what OP referenced.

Your radical right wing and radical left wing create what can essentially be summarized as a horse shoe. The further away from each other they go, the more they loop back toward each other. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_theory

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

If America is not the land of opportunity, why's millions of people the world over coming to America?

10. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Because in order for Liberalism to succeed, it must convince otherwise pampered children that they are still victims.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's always a scary thing seeing the far left spat with the far right. It's like sailing a sea of jerking knees, the wind in your sails the rhetoric of idiots and mouthbreathers.

And Sualpine proves my point. As ridiculous as the link above is, it's not like your extreme is much better. The far right play the victim just as often, only you cry tyranny instead of suppression.

12. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

My tyranny is objective, in the numbers on a piece of paper that take my earned income away. Their tyranny is subjective, unproven, and taught to them by politicians that gain more power from it.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Two in a row. You're on a roll!

Tell me this, Sul. How much of your income is, on average, taken away by the government to feed the undeserving? 50%? 60? 70?

14. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Good one?

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

No you read my post differently. ;)

16. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

As best I can tell, about 5-6 percent, just to Medicare/Medicaid.

17. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

#ilovewinkyfaces

18. QCassidy352, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I've read more heading into Europe than here recently. Greece, Italy, Spain, and France. Besides.. according to some, building the wall at the river and shooting children crossing over it on sight should have been the panacea this country needed.. :eek: :rolleyes:

BL.

20. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

What "some", or is that just obtuse crap?

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

There's been a fair share of people who have advocated building a militarized wall along the US/Mexican border at various times. It's a somewhat popular wedge issue.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't recall hearing the word "microaggression" before, but, I'd say that you provided a perfect example.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm curious to know if the
    irony contained in this passage was intentional or not.

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"Cultural Marxism" when you see this you can be assured it is being used by the more conspiracy minded of the extreme right, a load of paranoid bollix ( and one coated in anti-Semitism at that).