MicroCell Data Speed Warning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by proathlete03, Aug 4, 2010.

1. proathlete03 macrumors member

For all those who think a MicroCell might be a wonderful thing, please run a speed test (make sure WiFi is OFF).

AT&T Claims 3G Data is seemless on the microcell, but this is not true. I can get about 2-3Mbps download, but upload is 50-56k, yes thats right... K!

I think it would be better to upload using a 56k modem from back in the old days of dialup AOL.... its almost that bad.

The ping time ranges from 800-7,000MS... typically on the computer you should see 40-70ms.

For anyone who says its my connection, I have a 50mbps / 5mbps fiber... nothing wrong with my connection, I even tried connecting the microcell directly into the modem with no router... Geesh, what a disappointment!

2. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Gosh where do you people live to get these insane internet speeds?? I live about an hour from Houston and the fastest we can get is 15mbps down with 1mbps up with cable. I actually get faster upload on 3G than I do on wifi with an airport extreme and an iPhone 4.

3. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

You're lucky that you are getting such great 3G speeds. My data speeds currently suck right now and allegedly AT&T is working on resolving my problems. They have twice closed my case saying things are fixed and things are not. My upload is 50-70k. I have about had it with AT&T. Too bad I am stuck with them for 23 more months. I can now see why people hate them so much.

4. jkwireless macrumors newbie

It's not your connection - this is by design. If you do a little research, you will see that the microcell will support up to 4 simultaneous calls from a list of up to 10 numbers that you can pre-authorize. The data requirements for a microcell indicate a 256K upload speed which is basically divided by the potential 4 users giving you roughly 64K of upload speed less the overhead for voice and no more. This explains your 50-56K test results. I read about this before I got a microcell - so it's documented somewhere. However, you should likely expect to push your data traffic over WiFi if you're at home and likely near the same router that the microcell is connected to which will open you up to a much higher speed and wont deduct from your data bucket if you don't have unlimited data. I'm sure that they could have configured or provisioned the device differently, however the microcell is looking to carve out a stable chunk of your bandwidth to use for voip and your data and they took a one-size fits all approach.

I would suggest that you explore the web as you can likely find a better explanation than my summary. I think ANANDTECH (.com?) has a good write up on this.

Cheers!

5. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Those aren't my 3G speed, those are my cable speeds. 3G around here is about 2-3 Mbps down and 1-1.5 Mbps up. I haven't been able to find an area in Houston where I can get that new 7.2 Mbps down via HSDPA.

6. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Wow. This was a longer more detailed version of what I was going to respond. And posted by a new user too. Very nice to see something like this come from a new forum member instead of the 100s of new sign ups that post 'What screen protector should I buy' or 'I hate ATT' or 'I sold my iPhone 4 and bought a Acme Voice Transmogrofier and it totally pawns the iPhone 4'.

Thanks for the good read dude.

7. 2040Tech macrumors newbie

Lol I get 165/65Mbps from FiOS :))

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why would you turn your WiFi off and use 3G data on your MicroCell when you have 50/5 over WiFi? It seems to me that as long as you've got your WiFi, it's pretty much irrelevant what 3G speeds the phone gets over a MicroCell.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

People just look for little things to complain about:p
    Have a microcell at home but turn off the wifi and then complain about the carrier speed without wifi:rolleyes: