Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No free demoes for TTPro, although feel free to contact Micromat. Perhaps they have limited-time demoes that are not advertised on their website.
Or, they may tell you why they don't offer their highest-level diagnostic software for free. There's probably some history there. Probably similar to why you don't get Microsoft Office (or Adobe PrintShop, etc) for free, either.

Even if someone sends you a copy of TTPro, you would need to provide a license number to use it -- and, if Micromat knows what they are doing, they would have software that checks for a valid license the first time you run the software.

Bottom line - if you think you need that diagnostic software, get it. Micromat (and TechTool Pro) has been around for a long time. They know Macs. New Macs came with TTPro in the box, years ago. You paid for that software, too, as part of your new Mac. The software works. Only $100. :cool:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
MicroMat's been making TechTool Pro since the 1990's.
I had it thru System 9, but never got it for OS X.
It did all the stuff I expected it to do, and had a decent interface.
Since they're still around, founded 1989, chances are they still put out a quality product.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No free demoes for TTPro, although feel free to contact Micromat. Perhaps they have limited-time demoes that are not advertised on their website.
Or, they may tell you why they don't offer their highest-level diagnostic software for free. There's probably some history there. Probably similar to why you don't get Microsoft Office (or Adobe PrintShop, etc) for free, either.

Even if someone sends you a copy of TTPro, you would need to provide a license number to use it -- and, if Micromat knows what they are doing, they would have software that checks for a valid license the first time you run the software.

Bottom line - if you think you need that diagnostic software, get it. Micromat (and TechTool Pro) has been around for a long time. They know Macs. New Macs came with TTPro in the box, years ago. You paid for that software, too, as part of your new Mac. The software works. Only $100. :cool:

And recently Apple switched to built in diagnostics... Its the base system, logic board board, and fan checks that is always important.... since most is on the board anyway, and even if you knew which part had failed specifically TTPro may tell you more, it wouldn't matter to most people unless u choose to "break your mac" by DIY'ing, Perhaps more would DIY out of warranty. but the cost of wasting your time, its easier to cough up the money to Apple/ third party repairer.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
A reduced functionality version of TechTool used to ship with MacPros as my 2008 had it. I've upgraded to the latest of 9.5 and use it occasionally. It can do a lot and if you get it, be sure to create the emergency partition and also a bootable USB stick.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
has anyone a download of TechTool Pro from https://www.micromat.com I want to try this software I am using the free version MacCheck at the moment. Can you help decide to get this software for system checks.

I use it and have for years. Its a good piece of software. I recommend it.
[doublepost=1508699244][/doublepost]
MicroMat's been making TechTool Pro since the 1990's.
I had it thru System 9, but never got it for OS X.
It did all the stuff I expected it to do, and had a decent interface.
Since they're still around, founded 1989, chances are they still put out a quality product.

TTP does not seem as necessary as it was back in system 8-9.x. OSX seems to run far smoother and with far less headaches as that Classic Mac OS did.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Last time I checked, they had not realized a version for High Sierra. Needless to say, the new file system is tough on disk utility products. But check their website for progress on that front. It's a good product. Might look at Disk Warrior too, although that doesn't have as many features. But it does its core job very well.

BTW, they are close (too close) to the NorCal fires and may have reduced support for a bit, unfortunately. I'm sure we wish them well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.