MicroNet Minimate (USB/FireWire HUB + Disk) complements Mac ...


Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
256
0
Surrey, England
I saw this on engadget and all in all its not bad, but there's one thing that ruins it, the micronet logo on the front which is impossible to remove hopefully after many emails about it they might rethink that bit.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Depending on how sturdy it is, it could make an excellent addition to the laptop bag. Some people do need the extra storage when they travel, and having the built-in hubs could mean less devices (and power bricks) they have to carry.

It won't look as nice next to an iMac G4 or G5, but it would be good there as well.
 

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
1,701
0
Nottingham
Way cool. This is exactly what the hordes have been baying for. Kudos to them for making it fit aesthetically, too... hopefully Apple will notice, and add it to the Apple store online.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
FINALLY!

This is exactly what we've needed. Ordering mine today...and I'm gonna see if a little rubbing alcohol won't take that goofy logo off the front.

While I'm a fan of Plasticsmith's other products, their Minishack just doesn't cut it. Which would you rather have? A USB 2.0 hub that doesn't really match the Mini and is too tall? Or a USB 2.0/FW400/7200 RPM 80GB HDD that matches the mini perfectly and is a reasonable hieght for $80 more? To me it's a no brainer. If I were Plasticsmith, I would swallow my pride and discontinue production of the minishack.
 

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
713
1
Finland
Seems pretty nice! The 250Gb model has a pretty nice price tag, the 400Gb one is only for the rich people who still wanna get the mini ;)
 

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
571
0
Jacksonville, FL
That is a really nice addition to the Mini. Too bad I bought a LaCie 160gig FW drive last week, I would have much rather purchased this new hub/HD thing. Assuming it will fit under the Mini as well??
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
Windowlicker said:
Seems pretty nice! The 250Gb model has a pretty nice price tag, the 400Gb one is only for the rich people who still wanna get the mini ;)

Or people who want a REALLY small and flexible media server next to their TV.
 

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
1,701
0
Nottingham
Peyote said:
Or people who want a REALLY small and flexible media server next to their TV.
Sod that... you buy the 80GB and slap in your own drive. A nice quiet fluid-bearing Seagate. Yum.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
brap said:
Sod that... you buy the 80GB and slap in your own drive. A nice quiet fluid-bearing Seagate. Yum.

True, the 400GB Hitachi is $250 at OWC. Buy the 80GB miniMate for $150, replace with 400GB, and save $100, then turn around and sell the 80GB drive for about $40 or so. I wonder if there's room in there for multiple drives.
 

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
1,701
0
Nottingham
For a really capable, quiet system you could conceivably replace the internal 2.5" drive with an IDE->(2*CF) adapter. A couple of 1GB flash cards as your boot drive, 400GB of scratch...

Damnit. Summer should come right now, for I need money. This sounds too cool.
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
I think I'll get one, if I can get one in Norway or have it shipped here easily.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
Ordered mine!

Too cool for words...exactly what I've been waiting for 3 months for.


EDIT: Just got my email confirmation...the miniMate will begin shipping at the end of next week.
 

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
167
0
Lexington, KY
Much better than the PlasticSmith stuff. One of the Plasticsmith's things was $100; for $40 more you get FireWire & a HD, plus it matches the mini. Much, much better... Too bad I'm broke :rolleyes:
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
MacPhreak said:
Much better than the PlasticSmith stuff. One of the Plasticsmith's things was $100; for $40 more you get FireWire & a HD, plus it matches the mini. Much, much better... Too bad I'm broke :rolleyes:
Actually they lowered the prices like the next day, to $70 for the hub
 

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
2,062
0
CrackedButter said:
Its nearly perfect, the usb ports should be on the side and not at the back again, imagine how many times you will have to unseat this thing in order to get access to the ports.
Could't you simply rotate the minimate? I personally like the ports in the back. I guess it's a matter of taste.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
CrackedButter said:
Its nearly perfect, the usb ports should be on the side and not at the back again, imagine how many times you will have to unseat this thing in order to get access to the ports.

Actually I disagree, with the mini being so small, I don't see why you can't just reach over the top of it. I'd rather do that than have to look at ports.

If you really need ports on the front or side, why not have them closer to you and use something like this:

http://www.marathoncomputer.com/reporter.html
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
Looks great! The 160 for $179 is a nice upgrade--almost like Apple having another Mac option in the lineup. I don't mind them showing their logo, especially when placed underneath. At least it's not a color logo.

And you can have the ports anywhere you want--above/below, back/side, other side of your desk, on its side on a shelf, etc.

This could actually be a handy, tidy addition to any Mac (or PC), not just the Mini.

Question: if you booted off this faster external drive--but were constrained by FireWire 400 speed--would that offer a performance benefit over booting from the internal laptop drive? (Not to mention being able to cary it to any Mac and boot to your OWN "computer" :) I do that with my iPod and it's really nice.)
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
nagromme said:
Looks great! The 160 for $179 is a nice upgrade--almost like Apple having another Mac option in the lineup. I don't mind them showing their logo, especially when placed underneath. At least it's not a color logo.

And you can have the ports anywhere you want--above/below, back/side, other side of your desk, on its side on a shelf, etc.

This could actually be a handy, tidy addition to any Mac (or PC), not just the Mini.

Question: if you booted off this faster external drive--but were constrained by FireWire 400 speed--would that offer a performance benefit over booting from the internal laptop drive? (Not to mention being able to cary it to any Mac and boot to your OWN "computer" :) I do that with my iPod and it's really nice.)

I don't know about the speed vs. booting from your internal mini HDD, but if you booted from this thing, you would want to use USB 2.0 since it's faster than FW400. That brings me to a question though...is the HDD hooked up to the USB or FW ports...or both somehow?
 

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
2,062
0
Peyote said:
That brings me to a question though...is the HDD hooked up to the USB or FW ports...or both somehow?
MicroNet said:
Product Features :
• up to 400GB additional storage
•*3 FireWire ports
•*4 USB 2.0 ports
•*Attach power, USB and FireWire cable and you're ready to rock!
From that text picked on their product page, I'd guess you have to plug into both ports on the Mac Mini.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
srobert said:
From that text picked on their product page, I'd guess you have to plug into both ports on the Mac Mini.

You may need to use both types of cables for full functionality, but I wonder which one the HD itself is hooked up to...the specs list the transfer rate for both....so maybe it's an either/or situation. If so, does that mean when you hook up both cables to your mini, that the HD shows up twice? Surely not. I don't know...I guess I've never seen a product like this before...a HD that you could hook up via USB or FW at the same time.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
I wonder what external boot times via FW or usb2.0 would be if using a Raptor 10,000K drive, which has a seek time that is half of what comes with this miniMate.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Peyote said:
I don't know about the speed vs. booting from your internal mini HDD, but if you booted from this thing, you would want to use USB 2.0 since it's faster than FW400. That brings me to a question though...is the HDD hooked up to the USB or FW ports...or both somehow?
The rated speed of USB2.0 is higher than FireWire 400. However, the actual performance of FW400 is actually better.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Peyote said:
I wonder what external boot times via FW or usb2.0 would be if using a Raptor 10,000K drive, which has a seek time that is half of what comes with this miniMate.
You have the limitations of FW400 or USB2.0 to deal with. You're most likely still better booting off the internal drive.