Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmunch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
We know that IBM will show us there new Chip there and on the site http://www.mdronline.com/mpf/conf.html#day1_2 you will find what the other companys like Intel etc. will show !
But guys ? What will Motorola show ? Last year they showed us the embedded G5 what is this year ? On the Site I found this little discription !

"Introducing the Superscalar Version 5 ColdFire Core
Joe Circello, Chief ColdFire Architect, Motorola

Motorola proliferates its ColdFire architecture with this introduction of the Version 5 core. This announcement represents Motorola's leap to a superscalar microarchitecture with a fetch pipeline that feeds dual 5-stage execution pipelines, each including an enhanced multiplyaccumulate unit."

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I really wish I could begin to understand ANY of that. Where do people learn so much about computers. And please dont tell me y'all are 11 year olds. That would make me feel bad because I am 15 and I know less then y'all.

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
Re: Microprossecor Forum Oct. 15th

Originally posted by macmunch

"... Motorola proliferates its ColdFire architecture with this introduction of the Version 5 core. This announcement represents Motorola's leap to a superscalar microarchitecture with a fetch pipeline that feeds dual 5-stage execution pipelines, each including an enhanced multiplyaccumulate unit."

But Motorola has been luke warm about the desktop processor market. They are also losing money on the semiconductor business and I'll bet that is hurting new product development. I don't expect much in the way of new processors for Apple from them. The IBM chip looks like Steve Jobs' "wish list" for an Apple processor, from the brief description of it.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Well...

Originally posted by scem0
I really wish I could begin to understand ANY of that. Where do people learn so much about computers. And please dont tell me y'all are 11 year olds. That would make me feel bad because I am 15 and I know less then y'all.
...I'm 16, so maybe I can help :)
Go to http://www.arstechnica.com and click on the "cpu theory and praxis" link. Read everything in the first section. After that you should know enough to scavenge on ars's forums, the Moto and IBM pages, tomshardware.com, aceshardware, etc...

<edit>you may have to hunt around a bit for something entry level, they base their recent articles off previous ones. Usually they include a link to anything they reference</edit>

macmunch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
hmm...

I think there was something happened because it needs to long for the G5.

1. Motorola sais we dont will built new designed PPCs and gave this Section to IBM because IBM already has for example Power4
they cut this chip down and "can" produce it for Apple, fast good, less expensive Chip.

2. They develop the G5 truly ?! But where is he ?

So my favorite is option 1 !
Moto will only develop enhanced G4s (Apollo) and IBM will build new Chips for Apple.

Dont forget Moto also decreases the PPC Teams !
I think this says many.

Sorry for bad englisch.
:D

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by scem0
Don't feel bad - nobody here actually understands any of that. It's just a question of our ability to convince others that we do. Some are better at this than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.