Microsh-t Screwed up BOTH of my Office 2008 Rebates!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moof1904, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

This is amazing even by a company from whom I've come to expect incompetence!

M$ screwed up both of my Office 2008 rebates. I got a letter last week saying that my Black Friday rebate was being denied because I didn't include the manual cover. I called the phone number and told the person on the phone that I had the manual in my hand and the cover had indeed been torn off and sent in with my rebate. The person on the phone said that according to their system the problem wasn't that the manual cover hadn't been sent, it was that the manual cover didn't indicate which version of the software had been purchased. WTF?!@?! The manual cover says MS Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition right on it. How could they look at the manual cover and my sales receipt and my rebate form and not know which version I purchased??!?!?

And today, I emailed to check the status of my Suite Deal upgrade and they responded that they had no record of my having ordered the upgrade. So, I need to send everything again and hope that they accept a photocopy of the box top because that's all I f--king have left to show them.

These people are beyond incompetent. The fact that M$ products are the world standard only proves that the apocalypse is near...

2. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain (well, half of it). They had no record of my super suite deal that I sent in either - basically I was told that a photocopy wouldn't cut it. They said if I didn't send it via a trackable method that basically i screwed. Fortunately, my BFD rebate was received and approved.

Maybe I will resubmit anyways, just for kicks with the photocopy of the UPC, but I'm not counting on MS for anything in this case.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Sorry for your problems. :( I'm going through similar with Nova (Parallels desktop). They said I didnt send the proof of purchase from the box. Like hell I didn't! It's missing from the box and was STAPLED to the rebate form.

4. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rebates suck

I think many companies intentionally deny a number of rebates for no legitimate reason just to further increase their profits. They know that most folks won't put up a fight or in the case of those requiring UPC or box tops, the customer won't send the information in a traceable form and will therefore be screwed.

I've learned my lesson. IF I send in rebates of any significance ever again, I'll send via a traceable, insured method.

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've been lucky to get most of my rebates, but after reading this thread I think I'll start doing something new...feel free to try it for your own rebates next time:

Take a *photo* of the rebate form and all necessary info before and after it goes into the envelope. That way they can't say (well, not truthfully, anyway) that it didn't arrive. (and if they do, email them the photo...)

-Bryan

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I photocopy my rebates.. none the less.. "they never got it"

7. Vtorch macrumors member

Well, I got mine. I didn't expect to get my rebate that fast. Everything went smoothly for me. LOL...as a matter of fact I even got a call from Microsoft asking me what I thought about the new Suite.

You probably ran into some bad luck.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If you slip them $500 dollars and tell them to look the other way, I am sure they will send you the retail copy of Office 2008 Media Edition.

9. jwt macrumors 6502

Same here. ***** Microsoft.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I no longer deal with rebates.

I'm hearing companies hire 3rd parties to process rebates. The third parties will do things to deny rebates (like loose things). This helps the company and companies don't have to worry about the blame.

I at least can get employee purchase savings from HP if I need PC stuff (no rebates involved, we get the rebate prices and an employee purchase program discount on top of it), and of course Apple doesn't really do rebates.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Apple do rebates - remember the 'Free Nano Offer', it ended here at the end of October...