MicroSIM adapter with iPhone 3g=bad idea, sim stuck

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Jul 5, 2010.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

Just wanted to let people know, while using the MicroSIM adapter is pretty easy to use with other phones like Nokias and Blackberries (where one can actually access the SIM tray).

Using with MicroSIM tray with the iPhone 3g is a pain in the butt. I got my MicroSIM "stuck" and the tray can't get ejected.

I got frustrated and hanked everything out, destroying the plastic microsim adapter plus the iphone plastic SIM tray.

Now I gotta go to Home Depot and find a small phillips screwdriver to disassemble the iPhone 3G.

On a good note, I went to the ATT store early at 9am, they gave me a replacement microSIM so I can put back into my iPhone 4. They even gave me a 2 additional microSIMs in case I need another one. I told them I needed on for my iPad 3g also and wanted a spare for the iPhone 4. Free of charge. Those guys are the ATT store know me well since I frequent that store a lot.

But I feel like an idiot getting the microSIM stuck in my iPhone 3g. It's my sister's iphone 3g so I am using it as a "test unit" iphone touch anyways. Now I am off going to try to disassemble the darn thing to get the SIM that's stuck out.

2. mo0620 macrumors regular

I had a similar experience, but when it got stuck, I just took out the 2 screws on the bottom of the phone, attached a suction cup to the iPhone 3G screen, and after I lifted the screen, I was able toslide the sim out, without damaging the sim card or the sim card reader.

3. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

I guess it depends on the design of the adapter, but after this almost happened to me (ie, I got it out with a lot of juggling in the end!) I found a bit of sticky tape across the back of the adapter to hold the microsim located helped. I'm not sure I would be happy to use an adapter long term though!

4. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah, I got frustrated last night. I should have waited until Home Depot opened this morning to get the 2.0mm phillips screwdriver.

I just got the screwdriver from Home Depot. Taking apart the iPhone 3G is so simple. You are right. I should have been patient.

Now I have to buy a cheap iPhone sim tray off ebay.

The iPhone 3G is my "test device now" So no big deal. But this MicroSIM experience sucks. Apple is trying to force this MicroSIM down our throats. I know it's been a know standard for a while but there are very few phones that are compatbile with microSIM and you have to use an adapter.

Sucks for those of us who like to switch GSM phones.

5. navjot macrumors newbie

Me too

This happened to me too. I was able to get a replacement sim tray at the apple store as my 3GS was less than one year so still under hardware warranty. I just told them the tray snapped and I had no idea how I did it.
    ;)

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I haven't tried my new adapter yet, but mint comes with adhesive already on it. Yours didn't?

7. xakepoc macrumors newbie

8. tombee macrumors member

I had same experience.
    Had to yank out the tray and adapter leaving sim inside 3g. I was able to extract it with a tweezer and it had no damage.
    I think my 3g got damaged though cuz if i put the original sim back in, it still say no sim inserted.
    oh well...fail...

9. IphoneRevivers macrumors member

If your adaptor gets stuck , open the front assembly of the phone and once you disconnect the cables you will have access to it and should be able to get it out correctly . Good thing is , sim trays aren't expensive . 2-5 bucks .

10. Yuppie macrumors newbie

Tirk, I would beware of buying a cheap adapter.
    This thing runied the insertion slot of the iPhone of a friend of mine.
    You can easily replace the Sim tray, however if the adapter bends it can affect the slot and contacts to read the sim in there. So if you take it out a couple of times, your contacts can be damaged.

I saw the "good" German patented adapters at www.microsimdiscount.com and www.microsim-shop.com - prices are quite similar but microsimdiscount.com has faster shipping.

Cheers,
    Yuppie

11. supremeMilo macrumors member

Can you have more than one sim activated for one number at a time?

12. gottafly macrumors regular

I had a "trimmed" sim with adapter get stuck as well, but was able to remove it by simply slipping a razor blade into the slot to press the micro sim down while removing adapter. FAR easier (and less risky) than taking anything apart!!

13. kevm macrumors newbie

I put my micro sim in in my 3G. My sim came on a pixel of plastic the could be punched out to be a sim or micro sim. So I punched out the sim sized bit and jammed the micro sim into that. Of course it got stuck when I event to remove it. I jammed a pice of thin flexible plastic above the sim tray and was able to get it out that way.

14. porto3d, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

porto3d macrumors newbie

Hi, I found it easy to remove

I found it easy to remove with a small exacto knife, I inserted the blade first in the part when the chip faces the blade, and Very Gentle tried to flatten the inner microslim card with the adapter, pushing in tray with blade to flatten and then out together to remove and it worked great and pretty fast, I have done it 20 times and still works.
    Be gentle and very pantient, try to flatten the sims together, try hard not to stab.

Good Luck, and thanks - I got idea from gottafly
    I just gave more info.
    Thanks