Microsoft and Apple...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Macworld UK updates with reports that Microsoft will discuss their future relationship with Apple:

Microsoft has scheduled a presentation for April 10 at its Mountain View, California, campus where Kevin Browne, general manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit (MacBU), is expected to discuss the future of the group and its products now that the contract is nearing its end.

As well, the article discusses MS's .Net strategy in relationship to Apple.

Gatorman

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2002
Florida
Though Office has some good stuff to it, and I use it on a daily basis, I say good riddance. If good ol' Microsoft doesn't want to stick around anymore, then so be it. A world without Microsoft is a pretty good one, if you ask me.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
things being what they are, i don't think it would be to apple's benifit, if microsoft removed their support for the mac platform. If you remember how many people waited for offive v.x before making the move to osx, you can see how important that was to the success of the new os.

Granted, one suite isn't going to make or break an os, but it's sure nice to have something so widely used available on the mac also.

Tagada

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2002
Kosice - Slovakia
What I really hope, is that we get an update to X soon. Not only I miss long file name support, but Office crash at least once a day...

maybe april 10th???

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by Gatorman
Though Office has some good stuff to it, and I use it on a daily basis, I say good riddance. If good ol' Microsoft doesn't want to stick around anymore, then so be it. A world without Microsoft is a pretty good one, if you ask me.
I think that's a pretty short-sighted take on what Microsoft's presence in the Mac scene lends the Mac platform in general. Right now Office X is the best version of Office around. That is a massive feather in the cap of the Mac as a viable platform. The dissapearance of Office from the Mac software list would have a noticeable, derogatory impact on Mac sales, I feel rather certain.

blakespot

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
renew contract?

i would be surprised (perhaps unfortunately) if apple let ms completely shutdown the office line and start a campaign about how good apple works is or sumthin... like develop more compatibility... if apple finally succeeds (if ever) i would be surpised if they ported appleworks...

iuno... but som,ething like that is awfully far off... maybe they will just renew thecontract until they gain more market share (if that ever happens).... well i dont really know al that much about the realtionshipp between the two companies... i mostly know software and hardware, heh...

-firewire

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I don't think we have to worry about AppleWorks becoming so big that there's indecision as to whether or not to port it to another platform. It's a nice, basic package--and all most anyone would need, but a look at Office's feature shows that people will pay for functionality far beyond what they will ever use---more, they _want_ to pay for it.

blakespot

Luckster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2001
Texas
AppleWorks

By the way, it already works on Windows machines. Included on every CD is both the Macintosh and Windows copies.

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
Why would MS spend millions upgrading Office to v.X if they are going to not re-sign the contract?!??! That makes absolutely no sense. They could have blown off Apple for a few months and then not re-signed.

ScottF

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
Office for OS X

Apple with out Microsoft products would most certainly cause
Apple to loose a lot of future sales. Office is a unfortunate
Evil of any computer platform. So please don't Pooh Pooh Microsoft
or they may just pull out the macintosh platform !:p

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by MattB
Why would MS spend millions upgrading Office to v.X if they are going to not re-sign the contract?!??! That makes absolutely no sense. They could have blown off Apple for a few months and then not re-signed.
um... to make $$$ obviously!! There was lots of demand for Office running natively under OS X... As well, I seriously doubt that m$ spent millions carbonizing office...

Now for AppleWorks... Apple needs to make it compete with m$ office (add lots of new features) or sell it to someone or just completely abandon it... Because at the moment, it's COMPLETELY USELESS!

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
blah

I'm surprised that appleworks isn't as popular as M. Word. I'm a grad student and have been using appleworks ever since I started college. I really enjoy it. I find it much simpler and enjoyable to use. It always amazes me how apple never really advertises the really good things about their software. I'm tired of seeing funny commercials that show guys playing with imacs in a store window or making movies at the beach. They need to start showing people how easy it is to write papers and create spreadsheets via appleworks.

One other note!

Can't any company make a decent browser other than microsoft? I download the new version of netscape for OSX and it sucks. All the other browsers have trouble with html or javascripts. If microsoft stopped making their browser for Macs, we would be up sh*t's creek!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't like saying it, but its realistic, Microsoft doesn't need Apple, but Apple needs Microsoft. MSOffice is the standard and most widely used word processor/spreadsheet/presentation software around. We have to live with it and we all hate it. Even PC users don't exactly like it. Apple and MS are renewing their vows, great. For now its the way it has to be, but maybe not forever.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
.Net everywhere and dominance through Office.

Office's presence in nearly every home and office in America is one of the big reasons people go to Windows in the first place. So on one hand MS would like to limit office to its baby: Windows.

On the other hand, Office is priced much higher than Windows. Also Windows comes standard from many OEM's who get a price break for buying bulk. So the returns on Office must be much higher. That means the more copies out the door the better for MS.

For Apple, losing Office would be bad. Probably quite bad. But Apple seems cocky enough to try to brush off the loss and go it alone and I don't really see them making any deals with MS this time around.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Maybe the Mac Business Unit will spin off...Yeah right!

We could only hope for something so nice.

Matthew

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Oh yeah...

.Net! I almost forgot.

Does anyone else think that .Net is becoming quite scary? I mean, its basically a platform independent technology--nearly identical to Java in many ways. And its made by MS!!!

There is nothing stopping them from embracing and extending their own technology. They've already embraced, right? Now they'll probably let Linux develop their own implementation, then add their own proprietary extensions to the next release of .Net. Ouch!

And while doing this with internet technologies and Java was bad, creating one platforms to bind all other platforms gives them a lot of dangerous leverage.

The dark lord's powers are growing...

Matthew

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: blah

Originally posted by foofan

One other note!

Can't any company make a decent browser other than microsoft? I download the new version of netscape for OSX and it sucks. All the other browsers have trouble with html or javascripts. If microsoft stopped making their browser for Macs, we would be up sh*t's creek! [/B]
The only reason Netscape isn't compatibale is because people don't make their pages compatible w/ Netscape. If Netscape was an Internet Explorer clone, god help us. That's the only way Netscape would be able to display all content.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
you have to realize... even if they don't renew the contract, Microsoft could still go around making Office and IE for Mac.. they make quite alot of money off of Office, and I don't think they're that stupid to just let the whole thing go.

so, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't renew the contract...

irmongoose

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
Please Please Please Please Please!

Please Apple make a deal with Corel to release WordPerfect v.X for Mac! That would be AWESOME!!!
(WordPerfect is definitively still the best word processor available on the PC platform)

k.

nickdart

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
wordperfect sucks

i think the last thing apple users need is wordperfect v.x i am forced to use wordperfect on my PC (P4 1.7) at work, and it is awful and unstable. i hate msft as much as the next guy, but for all its problems, office is so much better... commands are also far more intuitive in office than in wordperfect...

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
I hope they don't

Although MS Office is awesome, better on the Mac, proves something eh, I don't want to see Bill Gates licking his damn chops with all the money he's making. Bill Gates is a monopolistic, dirty, cheap person who only cares about what is in his wallet and how long it stays in there rather than keeping something known as "friendly" competition going. If they ever merge with Mac, I swear to the big man himself, I will ditch computers totally!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: I hope they don't

Originally posted by swahilibill
If they (Apple) ever merge with Mac, I swear to the big man himself, I will ditch computers totally!
Whoa there partner! Now I don't think anyone's worried about a merger between Bill and Steve. This is a business deal, a mutually beneficial plan that Apple needs more than MS.

Look at it this way. Apple is trying to lure users over to the good side and one way to make that easier is to provide access to all the same tools the average user on PCs is familliar with while making it a nicer working experience.

And I'd find it hard to believe that you would be able to ditch computers totally, not today, unless you want to be unemployed, in Greenland:D

jail

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Australia
Re: blah

Originally posted by foofan
Can't any company make a decent browser other than microsoft? I download the new version of netscape for OSX and it sucks. All the other browsers have trouble with html or javascripts. If microsoft stopped making their browser for Macs, we would be up sh*t's creek!
yeah, netscape sucks, but it's better than ie. check mozilla, it's "good enough". but when chimera's finished... say goodbye to browser wars on the mac, this browser rules!

http://chimera.mozdev.org/

jail

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
My only hope is if Microsoft cans its Mac group is the former programmers decide to band together and continue making great software with the skills they've learned

Maybe they could help OpenOffice a bit?