Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
54,241
16,077
News.com reports that Microsoft is taking cues from Apple's digital hub strategy with its own "Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition" to be introduced on Tuesday.

"This raises the water for tens of millions of PC users," said Richard Doherty, president of research firm Envisioneering Group. "It's a way for them to get some of the flavor and sizzle of a full media center PC from Hewlett-Packard or Gateway without buying a new PC. Even if they bought a Pentium 3 or 4 computer, this will bring them a lot closer to the ease of use of, say, the iMac."

The software package, which will sell for $19.95 contains added features beyond Apple's current offerings.
 

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
57
0
MSFT couldn't find an original idea of its own if it **** on its face.

(and no, that's not a typo :D )
 
Comment

4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
This isn't news.com this is history.com! Microsoft has been doing this for years. Sadly their products never have the apple user feeling. I'm sure you guys what I'm talking about ;)
 
Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
1,384
0
Champaign, IL
I think it's a nice try by Microsoft but I don't think it will matter much. One of the reasons Apple's Digital Hub strategy works so well is their complete control over the hardware and software. That's what makes the integration between the different iApps and external devices work so flawlessly. Also, I think Apple has a better idea of what people really want instead of just a bunch of junk that no one will ever really use. I doubt Microsoft could pull off something like iSync that works as well as Apple's version (although I hear it's not too great...but it's still in beta). Also, the article notes that Movie Maker 2.0 will be released on Jan. 7. That's the same day as Job's keynote at MWSF...I'm hoping that iMovie 3.0 will come out and kick some major ASS!! and put the newly released Movie Maker years behind on it's first day of release!
 
Comment

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
5,849
0
Houston, TX
well, ok, but this is part of competition. granted, the story is always that apple has a great idea and MS steals it and makes more with it, but that is part of the market. this forces apple to come up with something better. i like that a lot. if apple weren't pressured, progress would slow. now maybe they will have to hurry on iTunes 4.
 
Comment

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
122
0
Canberra, Australia
The software also includes features for people to host a digital music "party" on the PC. Called Plus Party mode, the technology provides a password-protected environment for people to mix collections of music, add visual effects or an interactive guest book.

The answer to a question nobody asked.
 
Comment

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
605
0
California
It's a real shame.. Although apple is in the lead know, MS will eventually catch up and surpass them. And people of the future will say : "remember the day when Microsoft annoced the Digital Hub..."

I really hate ms more now than ever ! apple needs to cut off Office v.X for mac and make Appleworks 7 on both markets, a version that can actually do something ! Apple should also make Appleworks 7 95/98 compatible, cause ms has locked out those users with newer versions of office.
 
Comment

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
605
0
California
Originally posted by adamcoop
The software also includes features for people to host a digital music "party" on the PC. Called Plus Party mode, the technology provides a password-protected environment for people to mix collections of music, add visual effects or an interactive guest book.

The answer to a question nobody asked.

guestbook on a PC... how sad... how am I going to digitally sign ? By typing my name ? MS logic...
 
Comment

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
605
0
California
Originally posted by adamcoop


No, you'd type something original, that no one had thought of before... How un-microsoft.

Yeah.. and after you type it, you would have to accept 3 license agreements giving away your home, car & life to microsoft.
 
Comment

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
119
0
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Originally posted by dantec
It's a real shame.. Although apple is in the lead know, MS will eventually catch up and surpass them. And people of the future will say : "remember the day when Microsoft annoced the Digital Hub..."

I really hate ms more now than ever ! apple needs to cut off Office v.X for mac and make Appleworks 7 on both markets, a version that can actually do something ! Apple should also make Appleworks 7 95/98 compatible, cause ms has locked out those users with newer versions of office.

Agree with you completely on the Office/Appleworks angle.

As for the first part, about the MS surpassing of Apple, I hope my sarcasm early warning system is malfunctioning...:confused:
 
Comment

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
122
0
Canberra, Australia
Re: $19.95.

Originally posted by bryank1
We don't have to pay for this stuff in OS X

That's a good point

However

HP, Dell and others will probably throw it in for free, and market their machines as the most wonderful home movie making computers in the world.

And the idiots will buy it.
 
Comment

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
119
0
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Originally posted by adamcoop
...mix collections of music...

How does this fit in with Palladium and the whole 'copying music is bad' thing?

Probably under Zero Conf, which Apple is calling Rendezvous. Although MS will probably call it "Microsoft We're the First to do This XP ":rolleyes:.

RL
 
Comment

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
922
0
New York
Originally posted by adamcoop


Angry, angry young man.

While I agree with you, have used OS 9 lately?

I use OS 9 every day for audio work, and it never crashes. Sure OMS is a jerk sometimes, but other than that, it's solid. 9.2.2 is the OS of gods I tell you!
 
Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
356
0
Originally posted by adamcoop


Angry, angry young man.

While I agree with you, have used OS 9 lately?

There we go again......
I bet you wanted to say it's not stable.... bah
I still use it every day 24/7. and no crashes.
oops off topic.
I just can't stand "I hate OS9" whiners or
Micro$oft. Bah
Positive thing is that M$ will nevr bring out something that actually works as it is meant to work.
Only APPLE succeeds there.
 
Comment

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
122
0
Canberra, Australia
Originally posted by iwantanewmac


There we go again......
I bet you wanted to say it's not stable.... bah
I still use it every day 24/7. and no crashes.
oops off topic.
I just can't stand "I hate OS9" whiners or
Micro$oft. Bah
Positive thing is that M$ will nevr bring out something that actually works as it is meant to work.
Only APPLE succeeds there.

Acrobat, now there's a product that crashes regardless of whether it's used on OS 9 or X.

Out of interest, what programs are you using 24/7?
 
Comment

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
122
0
Canberra, Australia
Originally posted by skunk
This is very interesting from the CD copying point of view: where does MS stand now? What price copy-protection?

Perhaps you can only share songs for which you have a receipt, a 16 digit serial number (generated by Microsoft), and a letter from the band.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.