Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft Edge for iPhone was officially released on the App Store today following nearly two months of public beta testing.

microsoft-edge-ios.jpg

The alternative web browser will primarily appeal to iPhone users that use a Windows PC instead of a Mac thanks to a "Continue on PC" feature that can push a website from the mobile to desktop version of the browser.

Microsoft Edge for iPhone also syncs your favorites, passwords, and reading list across your devices. Other features include an all-in-one Hub View, built-in QR code reader, voice search, and private browsing mode.

microsoft-edge-iphone.jpg

Bing, Google, or Yahoo can be set as the default search engine in Microsoft Edge for iPhone, which has a similar design as the desktop version. The mobile version doesn't have Microsoft's Cortana assistant or built-in ad blocking.

On iOS, Microsoft is using Apple's WebKit engine, as required for all third-party browsers on the platform. From a compatibility perspective, Microsoft said Edge for iOS should match the version of Safari that is currently available for iPhone.

Keep in mind that, like other third-party web browsers, Microsoft Edge cannot be enabled as the default browser on iPhone.

Microsoft Edge for iPhone is rolling out on the App Store [Direct Link] now for iOS 9 and later. It's also available for Android smartphones on Google Play. Microsoft said iPad support will be added in the future.

The browser is initially available in the United States, China, France, and the United Kingdom, with more regions and languages to follow. The app has yet to be optimized for the iPhone X's screen size.

Article Link: Microsoft Edge Browser for iPhone Launches on App Store

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
It’s hard to get excited about anything related to Internet Explorer but I suppose this has continuity-like features for Windows users, which could be useful.

ftf

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2004
It's horrendous on the desktop (at least the UI is) so I can't imagine why people would want to use this on their phone. I guess people do though so good that they have a choice.
Microsoft really goes in weird directions some times...

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It's horrendous on the desktop (at least the UI is) so I can't imagine why people would want to use this on their phone. I guess people do though so good that they have a choice.
Microsoft really goes in weird directions some times...
Who cares for the looks; it's not compatible with many existing commercial and in-house web-based solutions.
Enterprise still uses IE 11 for compatibility.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I won't be using it, but I like how much effort Microsoft is putting into supporting Apple devices with Microsoft apps for those that might still depend on Microsoft for work or home. I know plenty of people that use Office 365 and absolutely love what MS has done with Outlook, Word, and the other office apps for iOS and Mac OS. It makes sense if you are using Edge to be able to sync that experience to your iOS devices.

Again, I have no need to use it, but this doesn't deserve any hate.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Why?

Who is asking for this?

Rebranded Internet Explorer with the same speed. I can't wait to use this on my iPhone.

No thank you.

Not built for the iPhone X. Looks bad.

I’m not sure why Apple is accepting new apps that aren’t optimized for the iPhone X. Then again there’s still Apple apps that aren’t optimized for it yet for some reason.

Not built for iPhone X almost a month after the phone was released.

No built in ad blocking.

Pass, pass, and pass.

Why did all of you even look in this thread? Clearly the walled garden Apple ecosystem works for you so anything not branded Apple is not designed for you.

For others, I think competition is great and other companies are slowly eroding the value of Apple's walled garden. I have clawed my way out of that and don't want to be in a situation where I'm solely dependent on one company for everything I do. Now that Microsoft has shed their mobile hardware platform, they are free to build a great ecosystem that is more open and lets the user chose what platform they want for phone.

The reality however is that Apple will likely continue to make it awkward for anything but what they want to lock you into. I'm starting to use Edge more in some situations. Its more efficient on Windows tablet mode and good with battery usage. And the continuity from phone to computer and back is pretty nice. I'm still not using Edge for my daily driver... was already using Firefox and their new Firefox Quantum fixed the one area that it was weak in... speed.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I’m not sure why Apple is accepting new apps that aren’t optimized for the iPhone X. Then again there’s still Apple apps that aren’t optimized for it yet for some reason.
And there are apps that were updated to support iOS 11 but still does not utilize the screen fully, making it look like the 6s that I had.

Arty6

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
Great, the web browser that is so bad people choose Internet Explorer over it on desktops is now available for your iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.