Microsoft employees squeamish about 'podcast' term, try us...

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I am not too comfortable with the podcast term, as it is just an MP3 wrapped up in an XML coat - which any MP3 player can play - but couldn't they come up with something more original that "blogcast"? It would probably catch on a bit more if it wasn't a blatant rip off of the podcast term itself...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
They aren't really just blogs, the name BlogCast is misleading.

PodCast is fine.

I can understand why they want a name change, but really, there is no need - rather there is a better name out there...

patioman

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2005
Blogcast is too awkward to be catchy, and it doesn't roll off as easily as podcast. Trying to change the format's name is a denial of reality—these caught on because of the iPod—and it makes them look sad.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Blogcast sounds like downloadable text as opposed to sound files. You'd need to call it Audio Blogcasting, but that sounds too ghey. Podcasting works for me. I love the term, although as others have mentioned, its neither about the iPod nor is it about broadcasting.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I am also one who understands why they stray away from using the term. Since MSFT employees are discouraged to use any products other than their own. Case in point: I was having a discussion with my cousin with how she was dissatisfied with her Hotmail experience. I gave her a Gmail invite. Her husband is a MSFT employee, and they are to continue supporting MSFT products only. She never accepted the invite, and struggles with Hotmail to this day.

Additionally, I don't necessarily like the term "podcast", especially since Apple has incorporated podcast support into iTunes. To the uninformed customer, it gives Apple some kind of ownership over the concept. Kind of like "The Internet" to IE, and "computer" as a PC running Windows. However, we dont' get to choose the term. These kinds of pop-culture things just happen and there is no committee to approve or disapprove.

In short, we're all stuck with "Podcasting".

Qunchuy

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Don't try to change the name; just vary the capitalization. I'm starting to hear sincere claims that "PODcast" never had anything to do with the iPod at all -- it's an acronym for Programming On Demand.

As a retronym, I like it. But I fear that, once again, the masses are going to end up convinced that Microsoft invented the concept...the same way they invented word processing, and the Internet, and the computer mouse.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Qunchuy said:
*snip*
As a retronym, I like it. But I fear that, once again, the masses are going to end up convinced that Microsoft invented the concept...the same way they invented word processing, and the Internet, and the computer mouse.
I thought Al Gore invented the Internet? :confused: :confused: :confused:

;)

~Earendil

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I think that people will start calling it that about the same time they start calling french fries "freedom fries."

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Darwin said:
Podcasting is fine, after all isn't that what the creators called it? :rolleyes:
agreed, M$ should just swallow their pride and deal with it. Then again they have no problem ignoring the w3c when it comes to web standards.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
They could call it MSCast, and have people pronounce it "miscast." Which would be about right. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

They can call it anything they want, but people are still going to call it Podcasting. Like Xerox and Kleenex and everything else. I tell people who aren't techies that I have TiVo just because they know what I mean more quickly than if I say ReplayTV and go back and explain....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Podcast" is simply a pun. It rhymes with "broadcast" (which IS relevant, since it's an alternative way to "broadcast" your content, regardless of the technicalities). It plays off the name of the most-used portable device. Sorry, it's here to stay. And Apple didn't ask for it, they just made a great audio platform that caught on.

"Blogcast" is the sound Gollum's cousin makes in his throat.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I don’t have a problem with the term ‘pod casting”. It’s kind of ubitiquious, and it is a good term for a new service (yes I know that it existed before the branding, but this is the term that has stuck).

Stupid terms are like when people spell fishing, with a PH, to denote that it isn’t fishing, but phishing, because it is done via email. There is no reason to do this because the bate is electronic and the people are actually fishing for information, it isn’t like it’s something new or different. I don’t know why we have to misspell everything that’s new and different. Modern computers are nothing like the computers of a decade ago. I mean if we are really going to do it right we should call is ghoteing, because it really gets my ghote (goat) and is also fishing.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
You've got blogcast all over your face!

M$ is squeamish with everything involving apple. They love refering to AAC as "Advanced Audio Codec" vs. "Apple Audio Codec". I like refering to WMA as "Wipe My Ass" vs. "Windows blah blah blah ***** audio quality etc."

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Except wasn't that also because of the Sun lawsuite(s). I mean come on, creating a competitive cross platform language that is virtualy the same (including name) and then giving away the development tools. Bugger all. I know that there are diffrences like compileing and class asignment, the purpose of JavaScript was to get rid of Sun's rather robust language.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
ClarkeB said:
M$ is squeamish with everything involving apple. They love refering to AAC as "Advanced Audio Codec" vs. "Apple Audio Codec".
Probably because it's not Apple Audio Codec. It's made by Dolby, for starters.