Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today updated its suite of Office for Mac apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, with support for Dark Mode on macOS Mojave and several other new features. The updates are available to both Office 365 subscribers and to users who purchased Office 2019 for Mac as a one-time purchase.

dark-mode-microsoft-office.jpg

The update also makes it easier to insert a photo from an iPhone or iPad into a PowerPoint slide using Apple's new Continuity Camera feature. This allows users to control-click in a PowerPoint window where you want the photo to appear, quickly take a photo on a nearby iPhone or iPad, and import it into a slide.

And with v16.20 some customers will see our Ribbon Visual Refresh with new icons and styling in Office 365 for Mac, as we begin rolling out and getting your feedback! On macOS Mojave, the new icons adapt to Light and Dark Mode as well! #Office365 pic.twitter.com/2iLdWNx7qD - Derek Snook (@derek_snook) December 11, 2018

Office for Mac apps can be updated via the Microsoft AutoUpdate mechanism by navigating to Help > Check for Updates in each app. For a full list of new features, read the Office for Mac version 16.20 release notes.

(Thanks, Daniel!)

Article Link: Microsoft Office Apps Now Support Dark Mode on macOS Mojave

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Dark Mode in Mojave is the biggest UI improvement ever in iOS. My eye strain has dropped dramatically since I enabled it. Could never go back. This is great. Now if MS could just make Office run a bit better and not take forever to start up....

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Nice to see all this support for Dark Mode - Firefox?
Firefox has had theme support for a very long time, and one of the default ones they've been including lately is a dark version. It's under the Themes tab if you open the addons page (shift-cmd-A)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Wasn't expecting this on the standalone purchase, so I'm happy to see it. Lack of OneNote support is weak, but I will never open that app so I don't really care.

F a subscription fee for Microsoft Office.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I never implied they don't. Different business model, different priorities.

Yeah, Microsoft has a priority to make a good product and Google doesn’t care. I guess you have a point there. Not having to compete does skew your priorities.

Reactions: StoneJack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.