Microsoft Pushes Old Windows

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Windows has evolved to integrate a wide range of applications, services and hardware in a way that has become familiar and expected as part of everyday life for millions of people around the world."

Stirring words indeed! :D

"The campaign, which will play down technology and promote more emotional themes such as passion, celebration and enthusiasm"

Good luck with that :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
keep up the good work MS!! im sure this campaign will be a success....NOT, wow....well at least MS does some advertising, where are you apple?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maybe Apple has been waiting to advertise Macs with a NEW platform--Tiger--rather than one from 2001 like MS is doing :D

But hang in there, MS MIGHT just get a new OS out by the end of 2006 if they keep stripping away major features.

PS, the "Start Something" slogan only makes me think about the most common and useful way to STOP your computer--putting it to sleep:

Stopping a Mac by putting it to sleep:

Apple > Sleep

Stopping a PC by putting it to sleep:

Start > Shut Down > Standby > OK

:eek:

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Don't you think that most people who are interested in XP have already upgraded or bought new machines within the psat FOUR years? :confused:

I don't understand where this untapped market is coming from. Even in developing countries, folks who buy computers will most likely buy new - not used.

My two cents.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
umm to correct something to put a MS computer to sleep you can either
A. Start> shutdown> standy
or B. sleep button on keyboard
C. Set the power button on the computer to do it for you

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Fender2112 said:
Don't you think that most people who are interested in XP have already upgraded or bought new machines within the psat FOUR years? :confused:

I don't understand where this untapped market is coming from. Even in developing countries, folks who buy computers will most likely buy new - not used.

My two cents.
I think this campaign is trying to make people think that they've still got the latest and greatest OS, even if they got it almost 4 years ago. Also, they're trying to draw attention away from the Longhorn delay by pushing what they've got now.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Microsoft Windows: You can "start something" but don't expect to finish.

I think its kinda catchy, and its truth in advertising! :D

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
spinner said:
Microsoft Windows: You can "start something" but don't expect to finish.

I think its kinda catchy, and its truth in advertising! :D
Ha ha ha... that's funny.

The numbers are kinda scary... while 1 million Macs were sold this past quarter, over 13 or so million Windows-based PCs were sold. There is no slowing down the Behemoth that is Microsoft.

Apple, you're kicking butt. Let's see those ads!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Timelessblur said:
umm to correct something to put a MS computer to sleep you can either
A. Start> shutdown> standy
or B. sleep button on keyboard
C. Set the power button on the computer to do it for you
I was comparing the GUI methods--relevant to "Start"--but to correct the correction ;)

To put a Mac to sleep you can either:

A. Apple > Sleep (no OK to click)

B. Close the lid (laptops)

C. Power button on the computer does it without having to set anything up-just click Sleep when asked

D. Just walk away... your Mac will sleep after the time you've specified (which I'm sure is found in Windows someplace too)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
nagromme said:
I was comparing the GUI methods--relevant to "Start"--but to correct the correction ;)

To put a Mac to sleep you can either:

A. Apple > Sleep (no OK to click)

B. Close the lid (laptops)

C. Power button on the computer does it without having to set anything up-just click Sleep when asked

D. Just walk away... your Mac will sleep after the time you've specified (which I'm sure is found in Windows someplace too)
again every one of those things you can do on windows. In windows you have a lot more power opition and how you want to set it up.

Sleep button on keyboard means the computer goes to sleep no need to hit anything else.

The power button can be set to sleep the computer, shut down the computer, or Hibernated the computer

For laptops close the lid you get the same list. Something apple should add.

Walk away is just a power setting to where turn off the monitor standy, Hibranate. Windows has a lot more opitions that OSX does.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
nagromme said:
"The campaign, which will play down technology and promote more emotional themes such as passion, celebration and enthusiasm"
I've gotten pretty passionate over windows before, I believe it involved a lot of shouting, screaming and hitting the desk!
Clebration and enthusiasm - They're gonna kill Windows! Yay! :D

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Timelessblur said:
again every one of those things you can do on windows. In windows you have a lot more power opition and how you want to set it up.

Sleep button on keyboard means the computer goes to sleep no need to hit anything else.

The power button can be set to sleep the computer, shut down the computer, or Hibernated the computer

Walk away is just a power setting to where turn off the monitor standy, Hibranate. Windows has a lot more opitions that OSX does.
Yes, these are all great,
It's getting the thing to wake up that's the problem :p

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
mkrishnan said:
AFAIK, this works on most Win laptops too.
It just takes aeons to finish its "Hibernating" cycle.

First time I used my girlfriend's HP she shouted at me for doing all the intuitive stuff... "No! You don't do that... you have to click this, this, and this..."

Oooooooh, right!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think some may be missing the point of my comment :D

Yes, there are many ways to sleep any computer--an interesting tangent to discuss (next topic: sleeping by AppleScript automation and Speakable Items).

And on Windows, the GUI method is these 4 clicks:

Start > Shut Down > Standby > OK

The silliness of which is pretty clear ;)

Then again, stopping your PC with...

Start > Shut Down > Shut Down > OK

...is pretty silly too :)

(And is it true that sleep/wake reliability has been better overall on Mac than on Windows? I know some problems can occur on waking a Mac, but Windows people seem to be terrified of not shutting their laptops down fully.)

PS, I know this isn't what Windows does, but I'm enjoying the amusing image of Windows popping up a list of options when you close the lid :D It's kind of Zen.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Timelessblur said:

Yeah, i'm still getting my head round that!?
You shut the lid, and it displays a list? How do you see this list or press any key to select an item on this list?

From my experience the power saving features af both OSs seem very similar.
PowerBooks Sleep A LOT quicker (almost instantly) and also wake up a lot quicker than windows does too. that's why they take a bit longer to start up! :)

Still, please explain the above?!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
nagromme said:
PS, I know this can't really be what Windows does, but I'm enjoying the amusing image of Windows popping up a list of options when you close the lid :D It's kind of Zen.
:D

I think timelessblur meant that, in control panel, you can set the lid closing to do any one of these things. But that's what I thought of too. :)

brap said:
It just takes aeons to finish its "Hibernating" cycle.
Yeah, I used to want Apple to implement hibernate, but that was primarily because at the time of Win2k, sleep / standby was still less reliable than hibernate, at least on the Thinkpad I had from work. But that issue doesn't apply to Macs (and probably not to most new XP laptops). I also wanted it because of the power draw issue, but after seeing how slow the burn rate is for sleeping on my iBook, I don't care about that anymore. One can easily unplug it to take it back and forth from place to place, with the intention of using it plugged, and not worry about the battery getting discharged enough to cycle.

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
Timelessblur said:

If you close the lid on a laptop, how do you get a list?

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
nagromme said:
PS, I know this isn't what Windows does, but I'm enjoying the amusing image of Windows popping up a list of options when you close the lid :D It's kind of Zen.

Your right. for everything but close lid there is another choice of Ask me what to do.

macnulty said:
If you close the lid on a laptop, how do you get a list?
I think I should of put in there that that there are opition in power setting that have that list of what to do

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Is it just me, but do i mean one thing and one thing only when I close the lid of my (lovely G3 Pismo) laptop?
I want that damn thing to sleep, and I want it it sleep, like NOW!
Why go to all that bother of moving my whole arm (sigh!) if I didn't want it to sleep?

Of course, Apple are always that step ahead - If you have an external KB & M and Monitor you can use your laptop in "closed" mode (but then who wouldn't want to use dual screens!?)

Some "options" seem confusing to me, I guess some people don't want their PC laptops to "sleep" because Windows is a very bad hospital, and you may never wake up.... .. ... .... :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
James Philp said:
Some "options" seem confusing to me, I guess some people don't want their PC laptops to "sleep" because Windows is a very bad hospital, and you may never wake up.... .. ... .... :eek:
When these settings got added to previous versions of Windows, this was definitely true, so it's a good guess....Meh, and then part of it is probably that putting setting options in a control panel is a little bit like legalizing a drug.... Prohibition never works. So most computer programs end up with more and more options, because someone will complain if you ever take one out. So you end up with stupid options, like having your computer not sleep, not hibernate, and not switch to an external monitor when you close it. Because, erm, you're one of those people who worry about whether the light stays on in the freezer when you close the door. ;)

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
mkrishnan said:
Because, erm, you're one of those people who worry about whether the light stays on in the freezer when you close the door. ;)
QMG - The lights stays on in the Freezer! :eek: :eek:
Agghhh... Doesn't that warm the food!?

I guess though, that's what these first decimal updates give us mac users - someone is saying - sorry guys, all these things are gone, and this works different, but trust us, you'll learn to love it better, and lo and behold, mostly their right! 1.3 works way better than 10.4 (finder wise & expose & networks and wireless and pretty much everything!) When I lost proccess viewer and Disk Imager (or whatever that thing was called) to Activity monitor and Disk Utility, I was like: "How dare they!" But now I'm like - "I could NEVER go back - that s*** sucks compared to this!".

Microsoft don't have the balls to do this (or at least they lost them in 1995!)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
James Philp said:
Microsoft don't have the balls to do this (or at least they lost them in 1995!)
I was really surprised that they got away with taking out the ability to set desktop color schemes (beyond the standard two) in XP. But then again, whenever I do it in Win2k, people look at me like I'm a sorcerer with bizarre supernatural powers. :rolleyes:

Could be worse, though. Could be like a Linux distro. Most of the distro makers panic if there are less than fifteen different programs pre-installed to do any given function. Some of them even have more than one control panel. That's just insane! The worst example of that, which comes to mind, in Windows, is the fact that it comes pre-installed with half a dozen different image viewers, and they all fight over who's the default to view an image (and seem designed to win the fights over the images they're actually not capable of displaying.... :rolleyes: )

Apple's approach, in my mind, deserves a booby prize, OTOH, for setting the default data CD burn method in Finder to be single session..... :(