Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If Apple could run iOS and OSX on one device would you think it revolutionary ?
If it can be done without compromising on the user experience of either platform, sure.

In practice, I don't see how this can be done without invariably favouring one over the other.

Really guys, everything the competition to Apple does benefits Apple customers when they strive to keep up, I wish the iPad had the same capability as a Surface Pro don't you ?
But at what price that added functionality? What is the cost of the consumer of adding all those features at the expense of making the iPad more like a Mac?

I want Microsoft to keep pushing Apple all the way, because we all benefit.
I do too. What I think we all disagree on is how to go about doing that. Some want the iPad to essentially run macOS. I want the iPad to get more functionality while still retaining its iOS roots.

Who's to say who is right or wrong?

Reactions: Pattaya

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
Well, it depends. iPad runs Office, but not the same Office as Windows does. Windows Office has far more features. In addition, you can benefit from the multitask of Windows when using OneNote and PDF annotation tools.

So, while you can also do these tasks in an iPad, generally speaking, you can do them at another level with Windows. Of course it depends on your needs.
MS Office runs also on OSX, but even there it's not the same as the Windows version. I use the MathType add-in, not only to create mathematical equations, but also to automatically number and reference them. It seems, that even on OS X there is some sort of sand bars that prevent MathType to work properly.

This (and some other tools, too) made me run Windows in a Parallels virtual box. With this, of course, I also used the Windows version of Outlook, which has a much better archiving process than the Mac version.

Well, in my case, if I had to run Windows anyway, why not go the full way? I now have a Surface 4 Pro, the Surface dock and a 28" 4k minitor in my home office and couldn't be happier.

All these people complaining about Windows is riduculous. If everything runs seemlessly (I know this was not the case when the Surface 4 Pro was released), the OS just works in the background. I do my work in all the applications, and all of them run well on the Surface, in contrast to an iPad, or even a Macbook without Windows running in Parallels.

I don't use the Surface in tablet mode that often, but I like it for reading and some other stuff. What I missed was LTE and GPS, and I will certainly read what experience people will have with the new version. In the beginning, I was reluctant to buy a Surface because of all the negative reports on Reddit, and I bought an iPad Pro 12.9". It doesn't get used much nowadays.

Reactions: DarkRas

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Good point. However, if you're going to run "legacy" Windows apps (and most Surface Pro users seem to do that eventually), you might as well buy a legacy laptop for substantially less money than a Surface Pro. In fact, you could be a very capable Windows laptop and the iPad (starting at $329) and the two devices together would still be cheaper than one Surface Pro.
[doublepost=1495599364][/doublepost]

I would be happy to see an iPad version of the iPhone 7's A10 Fusion in the next iPad. Imagine the battery life of a device that can choose between an energy-efficient pair of cores and a higher-performance pair of cores.

Why would I buy a laptop when I want a device that can be a tablet and a laptop? If it was simply saving money there are much cheaper windows tablets out there, but I didn't realize the discussion had shifted into just being about saving money. Plus I find having a cheap laptop and an ipad to be a much inferior solution, 2 things to carry around and maintain. $329 for the ipad only leaves $470 for the laptop, closer to $600 if you factor in the SP keyboard.

If it's about expenses I'd MUCH rather have the last gen SP4 for $400 or so 2nd hand, still a tremendous machine.
[doublepost=1495624672][/doublepost]
And I can use Office , Run OneNote and annotate PDFs on my iPad. So if that is your measure of "getting stuff done", you should be able,to do it on an iPad as well. Easy, I do it myself.

You are still not running full versions of Office, Adobe PDF, OneNote, etc. Now if you don't need the full versions then more power to you. But I do need the full versions, and I need the ability to setup a mouse and maybe an external monitor if I'm doing very heavy work like reports and such. A touch interface is great and I'm the first one to tout it, but nothing beats a mouse when you have to do a ton of menus, selections, copy/paste and fine manipulation. That's the power, you can do light stuff as a tablet but when you really need to hunker down you can easily turn it into a full desktop. I run my entire office PC off my old surface pro 3, it's hooked up to 2 4k monitors and I run some crazy stuff on it.

Reactions: notabadname

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And I can use Office , Run OneNote and annotate PDFs on my iPad. So if that is your measure of "getting stuff done", you should be able,to do it on an iPad as well. Easy, I do it myself.
The problem I have with the iPad is the work flow. Yes, there is a version of excel but it has less features. I also need the ability to handle file attachments, which is cumbersome at best on the iPad. I also do remote access and that is a royal pain especially without a mouse.

I find the full versions for Adobe, MS, etc are what I need and granted YMMV and may not need what I need, I find the iPad a poor replacement.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Then you will get "more of the same" from Apple, will still have a crippled iOS mobile platform and the Surface Pro will still have a full blown operating system that will take advantage of a more powerful processor than anything ARM (and Apple) have to offer. That's what.

Right, but MS could market the Surface like that right now. Instead they are pitting it against what you say is a "crippled iOS mobile platform." So even if what you say above is true, MS clearly doesn't have the confidence in its product to set it apart from the iPad Pro and instead directly compares itself to it. I ask you would BMW compare it's M2 to an Audi A3 in advertising?

So again I ask, once Apple introduces a iPad Pro with a faster chip and better battery life, then what? As I see it the Surface buyer and the iPad buyer are really not the same customer. Nothing MS is doing as far as advertising here is going to sway iPad buyers to a Surface. (And by that same note, yes, I think when Apple suggests the iPad is the perfect device for PC users to switch to it's equally ludicrous). Honestly, it's just the 2017 version of the same old ridiculous MS/Gates vs Apple/Jobs pissing match that started in the 80s.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
Windows 10 is NOT stable.
In your opinion. All my clients (50 sites, 100's of users) are using it, I have it on 3 computers at home and all the computers in our office (30+) have it. Not one issue with stability. Five developers use it all day, with out an ounce of issues with Windows 10. Are there exceptions? Sure, maybe you have a hardware issue with PC, since this causes most of all WINDOWS stability issues. It is easy for APPLE to have a STABLE product when it comes to their devices, they control the hardware in their closed environment, where as there are all different kinds of manufactures of hardware and computers for the PC market out there, making it extremely difficult to get drivers to be stable in Windows. But you go on with your little crusade.

Reactions: Pattaya

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I love windows 10 on a tablet, Microsoft really deserves a lot of credit for how much work they've done to work on both desktop and tablet. Once again just my opinion, but it trounces iOS as a mobile/touch platform. I've never understood the need to dumb oneself down just to be mobile. Yes I understood the need 10 years ago due to battery life and tablet sizes and things like that, but that was 10 years ago. Now you can have a full OS without compromises like weight, battery life, etc.

Haha this one really made me laugh. I don't think I have heard anyone say they love Windows 10 on a tablet. And it trounces iOS as a mobile/touch platform? How so? Available apps? Ecosystem? Support? Is Windows 10 mobile even a platform any longer? I have no issues with Windows 10 as an OS, it's much better than anything Microsoft has come up with prior and it has promise for the future, but it is not there when it comes to touch.
[doublepost=1495628422][/doublepost]
Give me examples of how Surface Pro is lousy as a tablet? It can do browsing, Netflix, buy movies, play music, play games last I checked.

Just overall usability. It is not optimized for touch, it is made for a mouse and keyboard, with a touch overlay. A lot of elements are too small, unresponsive to normal touch, and require more effort than it's worth. The same could be said of ones argument of using Excel on an iPad with touch only. Same idea.

Reactions: bobob

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec
You are partially right.

"Below are some of the reasons why Apple Macintosh computers do not have as many viruses as Microsoft Windows computers previously and still are less likely to be infected by a virus today:

1. Newer Macintosh operating systems, such as the macOS X, is built on the Unixkernel, which is one of the oldest and most secure operating systems available.
  2. Microsoft Windows is used by a lot more people than the Apple macOS. Because more people use Microsoft Windows, it is a much better target and makes it easier for viruses to spread.
  3. Most of the computer virus writers are more familiar with the IBM platform and Microsoft Windows, which means it's easier for them create a virus for that platform.
  4. Many of the tools, scripts, and code used to create viruses or other malware are designed for Microsoft Windows."
Source: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm

Reactions: LordVic

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Yes, keep telling that story to yourself. Ipad is totally useless when it comes to serious work, just the basence of a small invention called "mouse pointer" proves that. If you really think that you can do serious work constantly, for 8 hours a day, just by smashing the screen with your fingers because there isnt even a normal mouse pointer, you need to rethink alot of things. And while you are searching for all possible excuses how its not needed, let me remind you that even Apple themselves have said that they intentionally made the new MacBooks without touchscreen, since its totally useless in vertical mode and totally unpractical for any serious work for longer periods.

I don't have to tell myself anything. I daily use a 12.9 iPad Pro for all my work. There are a lot of people who do. I'm sorry if this concept totally escapes you but it's true. I will say it takes some getting used to but it's doable for some people.

And what is serious work? I'm a teacher and a leader in a non profit organization. I meet with parents and volutnteers. Give lectures and presentations. Do research and draw...all on my iPad. Everyday. Sooo keep telling yourself it can't be done but it doesn't stop the fact that it is done.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The problem I have with the iPad is the work flow. Yes, there is a version of excel but it has less features. I also need the ability to handle file attachments, which is cumbersome at best on the iPad. I also do remote access and that is a royal pain especially without a mouse.

I find the full versions for Adobe, MS, etc are what I need and granted YMMV and may not need what I need, I find the iPad a poor replacement.
Apple is still run by (business) professional IT amateurs that consider an iPad a Pro device - without offering pro features - and a Design SVP who prioritizes pizza box designs over new IT form factors

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
To MicroSoft my only complaint is manufactures add on programs. Over the years of supporting all flavors on Windows NEVER buy a straight on Windows machine. Trust Home made systems and you will see how much quicker Windows will be on a naked install!

Now I don't live in a vacuum and the move to laptops is whole different story. So on those systems learn how to do fresh installs!

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I'd buy one if I had lots of money to spare. You can never own too many good computers.

I don't know what is more surprising, that they managed to put a powerful i7 cpu in a nice tablet that small, or that Apple's A9X is comparable (albeit loses out) to a powerful i7. That's some serious power for the maturing App Store and iOS operating system to take advantage of.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Lots of talk about iOS being replaced with MacOS.

This isn't the answer for iPad, though it is true that iOS in it's current form is whack.

iPad needs is better functionality across apps, sure. I'd like to see Photoshop operate much like it's desktop app for example. Office is abysmal on the iPad.

But what Apple really needs to do is fix it's cloud services. Ever since Jobs went nuts at the MobileMe team Apple just haven't been able to catch up with the competition. Worse, Apple has a tendency to lock you in to iCloud, and then charge you more for the pleasure. Until they can open it up and redraw iOS, the iPad isn't going to win any races.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Lots of talk about iOS being replaced with MacOS.

Until they can open it up and redraw iOS, the iPad isn't going to win any races.

Microsoft and Apple both started from opposite ends, iPad focusing on mobile/touch OS, Microsoft started with desktop. Unfortunately, it seems Microsoft has a single OS that supports both Mobile and the Desktop environments, while Apple has two separate ones... seems more costly for Apple.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If Microsoft thinks they can beat apple's battery life on any device made by apple I call BS. Apple has the best battery life in the industry and I'm sorry but windows 10 does not have that kind of optimisation. I understand that the advertising of how much battery life a device gets is slightly exaggerated but saying it's better than apple is really pushing it.

iPP is a POS compared to Kaby Lake for accelerated media playback so it's not far fetched that the Kaby Lake equipped Surface Pro 2017 beats it in media consumption and battery life. Playing any content on the iPP above 1080p that often uses HEVC or VP9 codec will be software processed resulting in high CPU utilization, slow media playback and excessive battery drain.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake
Improved graphics core: full hardware fixed function HEVC/VP9 (including 4K@60fps/10bit) decoding

Here's iPP pooping its pants just playing a 1080p HEVC 10bit 90Mbps file vs Kaby Lake handling 4K HEVC 10bit 120Mbps fine.

1080p HEVC 10bit 90Mbps

4K HEVC 10bit 120Mbps

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkRas

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I do find it funny how often people use the term "serious work" when referring to why they use Windows. Yes, Office has more features bloated into the suite than on the iOS version of office. But I can produce an equally stunning PowerPoint deck on iOS, or any other product I need. Microsoft streamlined the suite to be sure, but if you can't create or produce because you are missing that ridiculous font, or transition or its too hard to insert an image, then at least stop calling yourself a "power-user". A "power user" of either platform can get it don't on their platform. Both the Surface and the iPad Pro have some different strengths and weaknesses, and I understand a personal choice for either product. But the constant claim that you can't do "serious work" on an iPad is pretty idiotic (and disparaging). BOTH platforms are globally used, from hospitals, the flight decks of commercial aircraft, the Arts, Education, to every business that we can probably conceive of. Both are fully capable of supporting people in "serious work" - move on.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Window 10 in tablet mode has excellent response. However, the touch points for many of the objects is pretty small. In addition, there is a difference between Windows desktop apps (primarily mouse oriented) and the apps that are optimized for a touch interface.
Its a hybrid. There are apps exclusively set up for touch. The edge browser is set up for touch. Other things--ie, desktop applications--are optimized for trackpad or mouse. These programs are touch responsive, but the targets are smaller. I use many desktop applications with touch, including itunes and sketchbook pro. I use office and zbrush with a mouse. I don't see why this bothers people. Is it too complicated? I don't know, really.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Agree. I got office files that have complex formulas or links to other files. It just won't work on an ipad. I don't even consider office on ipad to be office. At best it simply lets me view files. It's not just office, there's a host of reasons why I can't use an ipad for work.

But..the things that I can use an ipad for, it's great. Not worth spending 1k great but a few hundred is ok. iOS just has to evolve.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I do find it funny how often people use the term "serious work" when referring to why they use Windows. Yes, Office has more features bloated into the suite than on the iOS version of office. But I can produce an equally stunning PowerPoint deck on iOS, or any other product I need... Both are fully capable of supporting people in "serious work" - move on.
Powerpoint is a simpler software. Its hardly a "power user" stuff-- although some freelancers make "serious work" money. Move on.

[doublepost=1495639228][/doublepost]
Agree. I got office files that have complex formulas or links to other files. It just won't work on an ipad. I don't even consider office on ipad to be office. At best it simply lets me view files. It's not just office, there's a host of reasons why I can't use an ipad for work.

But..the things that I can use an ipad for, it's great. Not worth spending 1k great but a few hundred is ok. iOS just has to evolve.

You make a key point--while you may not want to do super complex spreadsheets on a Surface due to size, you can open, read and edit projects. That said I really love the ipad, and imo it is worth its price.
It comes down to what you need.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
2. How often do Surface Pro users REALLY use the Surface Pro without a keyboard? It comes with a keyboard with a trackpad by default and that's how people tend to use it.
2. It does NOT come with a keyboard by default.

You could spend $2,700 and get a powerful desktop and a lightweight ultrabook/2-in-1.

And you'd get the best of both worlds... with both computers doing the best they can.

Instead of the "jack of all trades... master of none" Surface Pro. :)

True, and how mobile is that? I travel a lot and I want to carry my desktop with me. I don't want to be syncing back and forth. With the Surface Pro, when I'm at the desk it is my desktop machine and my tablet for note taking. I plug it into a dock, connected to a 27" 4K monitor with mouse/keyboard, and tilt the Surface Pro down on my desk and use it as a dedicated OneNote tablet with the pen. When I need to leave, I undock and go.

Good point. However, if you're going to run "legacy" Windows apps (and most Surface Pro users seem to do that eventually), you might as well buy a legacy laptop for substantially less money than a Surface Pro. In fact, you could be a very capable Windows laptop and the iPad (starting at $329) and the two devices together would still be cheaper than one Surface Pro.

I guess there are two things that are not getting understood by many in this thread. First off, having touch on a laptop is a wonderful thing that someone who only uses a Mac is not going to get. Being able to transform that laptop into a tablet is another wonderful thing. True, its not a dedicated touch environment like the iPad, but that is a tradeoff with being able to do real multitasking and run full function apps. Its a choice of which you prefer. The second concept that seems to be missed is that many people don't want to carry around 3 devices... smartphone, laptop, and tablet. I don't. I also do not want to go on a business trip without the full horsepower of a real computer. Some people are OK traveling with just an iPad. More power to them. That doesn't work for everyone. I have two iPads and haven't used them at all for several years.

You are running gimped versions of the apps. If you need to do any heavy lifting or need 4 or 5 applications open at the same time to work on something, things will fall part pretty fast.

And considering that Apple is sitting on $250 billion in cash and might become the first company in history with a $1 trillion market cap, I don't think they are worried about ANYTHING Microsoft does. If they did, they would have added at least some rudimentary touch capabilities to Macs by now.

Many a empire has fallen with that line of thinking. They have a huge pile of cash and clearly becoming interested in lots of things that are distractions from delivering the best solutions to their customers.

To MicroSoft my only complaint is manufactures add on programs. Over the years of supporting all flavors on Windows NEVER buy a straight on Windows machine. Trust Home made systems and you will see how much quicker Windows will be on a naked install!

Now I don't live in a vacuum and the move to laptops is whole different story. So on those systems learn how to do fresh installs!

1. This is a Microsoft machine so this "add on" doesn't really apply.
2. Windows 10 has a menu choice to do a fresh reset of everything to out of box Microsoft Windows.

I do find it funny how often people use the term "serious work" when referring to why they use Windows. Yes, Office has more features bloated into the suite than on the iOS version of office. But I can produce an equally stunning PowerPoint deck on iOS, or any other product I need. Microsoft streamlined the suite to be sure, but if you can't create or produce because you are missing that ridiculous font, or transition or its too hard to insert an image, then at least stop calling yourself a "power-user". A "power user" of either platform can get it don't on their platform. Both the Surface and the iPad Pro have some different strengths and weaknesses, and I understand a personal choice for either product. But the constant claim that you can't do "serious work" on an iPad is pretty idiotic (and disparaging). BOTH platforms are globally used, from hospitals, the flight decks of commercial aircraft, the Arts, Education, to every business that we can probably conceive of. Both are fully capable of supporting people in "serious work" - move on.

The definition of "serious work" for each person is going to be different, but I believe what most people are saying is that many of us need the full versions of applications, and true multitasking, to be productive. I frequently have multiple applications open at the same time jumping between them to work on a presentation, spreadsheet, etc.. Trying to do that with the iPad's gimped multitasking and scaled back apps is not going to do it. If your needs are simpler, than awesome... get an iPad. If you do need the full power of laptop, and you want to also use a tablet... the Surface Pro gives you a very good way to do both in one machine. There are a lot of benefits to having that, and there are also some tradeoffs. But lets not kid ourselves that an iPad has the same level of business application capability as a full OS, be that MacOS or Windows.

Reactions: kis

BigMac?

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Erlangen, Bavaria
I wish Apple would start making mechanically miracles again, like:
  • Unibody macbook pro back in 2008
  • G5 iMac, maybe every single iMac since 1997 except the current line
hack, hardware innovaton is almost completely grounded.
[doublepost=1495640587][/doublepost]
Basically you're saying the iPad Pro couldn't meet your needs for productivity or what have you. That's your personal experience. But that doesn't speak for others who do use the iPad Pro for work or personal experiences who have excelled with it one way or the other. I can make the same assertion stating that others have used iPad Pro which has been a useful tool for them in the field. It goes both ways.

Lets start by design, the iPad doesn't feel as pro as the Surface. Every single iPad since my first feels unpleasant while holding for longer work on the go.

I like the idea of a tablet computer, am a apple fan, but iPad didn't kick off with me and my fellows.
nice for consumption.

On the other hand, the kick-stand on the Surface is as innovative as I wish apple would go. Plus more pleasant edges, like on iPhone 3G to 3GS and 6 to 7

Skie77

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
They just compared an i series CPU with an ARM CPU, i think incompetence is alive and well.

Incompetence is when you put look over funktion - using a too small case for upgrades on your most expensive premium product, brag about it's innovation, neglect to lower the price for almost 4 years squeezing every penny you can out of it before admitting it is a failure.

Incompetence is when you on one product (iPhone) remove jack stick in the crusade for pushing technology calling it 'courage', and then apparently being a coward not removing it from the rest of your devices (Macs, iPads).

Incompetence is when you put solely USB-C ports on PRO devices when it is still far from the standard usage.

Oh, and it was Tim who claimed his iPad "Pro" could replace laptop PCs.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
True, and how mobile is that? I travel a lot and I want to carry my desktop with me. I don't want to be syncing back and forth. With the Surface Pro, when I'm at the desk it is my desktop machine and my tablet for note taking. I plug it into a dock, connected to a 27" 4K monitor with mouse/keyboard, and tilt the Surface Pro down on my desk and use it as a dedicated OneNote tablet with the pen. When I need to leave, I undock and go.

The point I was making was... $2,700 is a lot to spend on any computer with a mobile dual-core i7 and no dedicated GPU. That's what the earlier comments were hinting at.

And that's why I suggested a combo of a powerful desktop and a light laptop.

Yes... syncing data might be a pain (though less so with various cloud services we have now... would be fine for smaller documents... not giant video files...)

But sure... one computer that is both mobile and dockable is great. Just realize you're paying A LOT of money for not very much performance per dollar.

Aren't you gonna cry when you plug your $2,700 Surface Pro into your 4K monitor when it doesn't have a dedicated GPU? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.