Microsoft sets X-Box 360 pricing

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
yeah, you can get one for $300 - but you'll have to spend $400 to get the thing you really think you want/need, and then you'll still have to spend $60 for each game.

all that, without the benefit of love or lubrication. :D And in the end, you still have something made by Micro$oft. I'll happily wait for my Nintendo Revolution, thanks.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Mudbug said:
yeah, you can get one for $300 - but you'll have to spend $400 to get the thing you really think you want/need, and then you'll still have to spend $60 for each game.

all that, without the benefit of love or lubrication. :D And in the end, you still have something made by Micro$oft. I'll happily wait for my Nintendo Revolution, thanks.
True, but Nintendo has to get with it. They are slowly dwindling away, especially with them in talks of not even doing HD support. We will have to wait and see. Some of us may not like Microsoft but if there is three things they can make, it's a damn good keyboard, mouse and gaming console.

jon

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Before everyone else posts and super complains and whatnot, just wait until Sony announces the PS3 pricing. It will most likely cost more.

While I am not pleased, I can deal with it. I don't mind the 59.99 games, I can handle that. I am not too pleased with the 299 / 399 garbage though, but I will live.

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
Offering 2 models will lead to fragmentation of the xbox360 user base, and ultimately hurt all of us.

Now we'll see games with "requires xbox hard drive" on half the games, and half won't. But ultimately, nobody will use the HDD because game makers don't want to lose out on sales.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
iJon said:
True, but Nintendo has to get with it. They are slowly dwindling away, especially with them in talks of not even doing HD support. We will have to wait and see. Some of us may not like Microsoft but if there is three things they can make, it's a damn good keyboard, mouse and gaming console.

jon
Because all of us have HD capable TVs and the sort? If there is something that the majority of the world DON'T have then why put it in for the small minority if it is just going to increase the price.

it would be ludacrious to do so

but i don't understand why make two versions of the Xbox i don't get that

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
iKWICK7 said:
Before everyone else posts and super complains and whatnot, just wait until Sony announces the PS3 pricing. It will most likely cost more.

While I am not pleased, I can deal with it. I don't mind the 59.99 games, I can handle that. I am not too pleased with the 299 / 399 garbage though, but I will live.
I doubt it will cost more - I think Sony is smart enough to know that Micro$oft just set their console pricing for them.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
eva01 said:
Because all of us have HD capable TVs and the sort? If there is something that the majority of the world DON'T have then why put it in for the small minority if it is just going to increase the price.

Well if we think like that then why would Apple add USB back in the 90's, add HD to iMovie, FW 800, PCI X. If Nintendo doesn't go HD it's just going to show how much better the PS3 and Xbox360 will be. It will be a selling point and I feel it will matter come time when you can purchase any of the three models here in the near future.

jon

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
And are we talking HD support as in High Def, or HD as in hard disk? The $300 model lacks the latter.

So MS is planning to make put more of the $400 model on shelves, rather than the $300. Sounds backwards to me, but then then the $300 is a bit stripped down.

And what's the ugly mismatched afterthought stuck on top of the unit? Is that a hard disk module? (I could see MS making it "external" in the hopes that people will want the visible bragging rights.)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
nagromme said:
And are we talking HD support as in High Def, or HD as in hard disk? The $300 model lacks the latter.

So MS is planning to make put more of the $400 model on shelves, rather than the $300. Sounds backwards to me, but then then the $300 is a bit stripped down.
Hard Drive I believe. XBox360 is coming with High Def regardless from what I've researched.

jon

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Hi-Def or not, I'm waiting for the Revolution.

Games are about design, content, story, gameplay. You know, "fun"?

Xbox360 and PS3 are all about specs, no substance.

Besides, I'll have a brand new Zelda game to help me wait for the Revolution!
... maybe I should finish Wind Waker first, though. :D

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
It's external so you can detatch it and carry it to your friend's house, and upgrade it for even more space for the downloadable content XBox Live is sure to offer in great masses.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
eva01 said:

Nintendo has already said 480p standard - and I'm sure most people don't even have 480p tvs (I have an old 25" that runs interlaced). Even so - running a smaller resolution will allow the Nintendo to draw more polygons with weaker hardware. They'll probably also go with 4xAA while most of the xbox demos I've seen haven't used AA (though they might end up using it, never know). And hopefully the decision to stay 480p will draw in more developers and keep game prices small.

There's gonna be more versions of the XboX to boot. An HD-DVD equipped version is slated to come out next year or so when the tech arrives.
It's gonna be hell when Halo 3 comes out, people buy it, and realize it won't play on their 2005 360ºs. Not that I'm saying Halo3 will be on HD-DVD - just an example.

Nintendo will win as long as they're still making money. MS and Sony's game divisions have all been loosing money competing with each other. It appears like Nintendo is just sitting back making profit waiting for one to kill the other. And what if the Xbox or Playstation dies? You'll loose nothing. Rockstar would release GTA on a Nintendo. Epic would put their games on the Nintendo. If Nintendo dies, well they've already stated they won't become a software maker like Sega. If they go so do their games.

I'd also guarantee that MS would release Halo for Nintendo if both Sony and the Xbox died.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
iJon said:
Hard Drive I believe. XBox360 is coming with High Def regardless from what I've researched.

jon
Nah, the article said it'd come with the more expensive version, or you could buy a $40 cable.

If the numbers are the same in Euros and Dollars it means a better deal for Europeans... And hopefully it's translate across to britain:

400 euros = £272
$400=£221

Hmm...

If apple were sensible, they'd release a media box for xmas - then I'd only really want the lower-tier xbox!

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Very good for what u get. 100 bucks more than what the current XBOX cost when it was first released. Better graphics, wireless controller, and more features. I'll get getting one around Xmas time. Way to go XBOX, i cant wait.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Hmm interesting now we just need to find out what the PS3 is gonna cost. Currently unless the Xbox has some awesome games I see no reason to get one over the PS. But hey I am getting a revolution anyway :)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
eva01 said:

Maybe because these systems are going to be with us at least 4 or more years. Look when the original PS2 launched. Look when the original Gamecube and Xbox launched. In 4 years a HIGH percentage of TV’s shipping WILL be high def. Hell in the next half decade the US gov will be requiring broadcasters to go all digital anyways. (Granted digital != high def but once sets all start shipping with a digital converter it simply a matter of time.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
you can't play Xbox games unless you get a Hard Drive for it

Without a hard drive, the Xbox 360 will not be able to play any games from the current Xbox, including the phenomenally successful "Halo 2".
So if you want to play your old games you have to pay $100 extra for the high end X360 (which is the same price of the hard drive)

Microsoft... where do you get your weed?

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Phat_Pat said:
So if you want to play your old games you have to pay $100 extra for the high end X360 (which is the same price of the hard drive)
Wasn't there some talk that not all games would be backwards compatible anyway? Big sellers like Halo would be but not everything... Anyone know if they cleared that up?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iKWICK7 said:

Doubtful. First and foremost Sony can feel MS nipping at their heels. Unless the PS3’s capabilities really aren’t being hyped Sony is going to have to come in at or under $300. Prob at. By the time the PS3 launches next year MS may already be at $225-250 for XBOX2. (I refuse to use that dumb*** name.)
So Sony is going to HAVE to show some love to its users in some way. They got away with overpricing the PSP (I refuse to buy one until it drops to $199) because..well…it blows away the DS in many categories. (Sorry DS fans but it does. Deal with it.) There is no real competition against the PSP right now. XBOX2 vs. Revolution vs. PS3 is another matter. Then there is also the fact that for all intents and purposes the XBOX2 will be “out there” at least 6 months before the PS3. 2005-2006 in the video game world is all about land grabs at this point. MS will have this winter to push its wares big time. All Sony will have is warmed over PS2 hardware that MAY drop to $99. That isn’t going to do it. It will sell some systems this x-mas (Hell I’ll prob get one since my first gen PS2 is kinda dieing.) but its not going to stop the mad dash for the XBOX2. Of course I question how many $399 units will sell. $299 might do better but even then. The optimal price point for gaming systems has always been around $200-250. Anything above that *shrugs* it’s a craps shoot at that point. Since some people will use the “it can do more” justification. But even then ma and pa may have issues with little Timmy wanting a $300 device that will really just be used for games and drop some cash on a PS2 at $99. Who knows. But I don’t think its going to be a black and white estimating on prices.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
greenmonsterman said:
Wasn't there some talk that not all games would be backwards compatible anyway? Big sellers like Halo would be but not everything... Anyone know if they cleared that up?
Only the big sellers. MS will offer recompiled executables on Live which are downloaded to a harddrive and when you put in Halo 1 or 2 it'll load the data from the disk but play the executable on the hdd.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Why does any thread about the xbox or PS3 I see immediately turn into a Revolution thread.

I wish we could stop with the fanboyism on all sides until we actually see the games and final specs on consoles.

I'll buy which ever system has games that I want to play. If they all have great exclusive games that I really want to play then I'll buy them all. And since I'm not a fanboy I can tell you that lack of High Def support on the Revolution is a big minus to me. I do have an HD set and I do like my MVP Baseball 2005 in 720p. Just because not everyone has one doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Revolution will really have to wow me with something if they want my money. This wowing shall NOT include new ways to run around and collect coins or "bang on this drum and your character moves around."

Right now Xbox is winning for me because it's powerful and it's out earlier than any other system. I can't just sit around and be left out of the fun. ;)

Yes I know this thread was about hard drives in the 360. I'm kinda nervous that developers won't make use of it being that it won't be a baseline feature. I hope this isn't the case though. I certainly don't plan on using the hard drive to run a media center. I wouldn't want to give more money to MS than I have to. Although it does come with other things as well. I'll take the wait and see approach.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
greenmonsterman said:
The reason you have to have a hard drive to play old XBox games is because they only work in emulation mode with a patch downloaded and installed on the XBox.

jon

edit: didn't see 7on's post.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
My take

XBox 360 = XBox 1.5, nothing was really added to make me want this system. Better graphics? ohhh. w/e. I want better games. The "better graphics" are making Conker Live and reloaded look stupid.

PS3 - promising. Plenty of power and some cool new features to boot. If priced the same as XBox 1.5 it should be pretty good

revolution - Nintendo's entire 20 year catalogue available for download on 1 machine with FREE over the internet play? In addition to getting the DVD fun (finally), being backwards compatible to the gamecube, and a brand new user interface, I'm in.

Besides Nintendo games have always had better substance/story to their games. Something more than "lookit the pretty colors. It seems so real."