Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Shutting Down Cortana App for iOS and Android

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
Articles like this remind me of why I'm glad my HTC Thunderbolt uses offline voice commands.

I've always hoped that assistants would fix the one thing I hated most about touchscreens--the fingerprint smears (and looking through them!) and features such as 'driving mode' on the Galaxy S4 were quite handy. But they all depend on a stable internet or mobile data connection and I find myself in many places where signal just doesn't exist (or is still 2G, Edge, 1x, or 'no service') so the voice assistants cease being useful. I mean, they were fun for a time; I was living the Star Trek dream for a bit. But the novelty wore off eventually.

I only use voice control today for a handful of stuff. Making calls, controlling music, and dictating texts. Can do it all offline on my phone. No way anyone can kill it if it's not in the 'cloud'. Most of the time it's just faster to arrange your home screen where everything you need is one tap away, or a swipe and tap.

Cortana is disabled on Windows 10 in my home. It's not easy to do, but it is doable. Has anyone actually had Cortana get triggered by a Youtube video? Also the amount of RAM and CPU dedicated to it. Has anyone running Windows even looked at the task manager?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I don't even use Cortana on Windows. I barely use Siri, but Google's Assistant is generally useful.

Back on the PowerComputing Power Center, I was always getting PlainTalk to start applications for me--in 1998.

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
Sad. Cortana, at least on Windows Phone was pretty awesome and useful. Definitely more personality than Siri or Google whatever. Of course the current CEO hadn’t helped anything.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
I was excited when I first read the email today. Until I read that you had to have used the Cortana as a voice assistant in the six months before the announcement today in order to qualify for the $50 gift card. I was so frustrated and annoyed by Cortana (whyyyyyyyyyy did they force Invoke owners to use ONLY Cortana to set up the thing????) that I unplugged the Invoke and threw it on the top shelf of my closet almost a year ago.

Today, after reading the email, I decided to try setting it up to see if there was a firmware update that would make the setup more reliable. NOPE. I can't even get Cortana to connect to it now! When I first got this thing, I spent most of an entire weekend trying to set it up. Yes, I'm a Mac user. Yes, I own an iPhone. Yes, I was stupid to buy hardware that depended on a Microsoft app to even be set up! But I'm a true fan of Harmon Kardon, and if I could just get the Invoke to WORK AS A BLUETOOTH SPEAKER, I'd be a happy person. Instead, it looks like I have a $200 paperweight, since Cortana is such garbage that I can't even connect it to Bluetooth.
You might try going to the redemption site and entering the MAC address and see what happens, if you haven’t already. It‘s super easy and the worst thing that happens is they reject your claim. I have a pair of Surface headphones and have never used Cortana on those but received a $25 credit regardless. I can’t believe MS is shutting down Cortana on those as well.

Cortana is no longer responding on my Invokes, but Spotify still streams through them. I was able to pair a BT device with the button on the back rather than voice commands. Invoke users better get used to it.

kc9hzn

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
What does
Microsoft today announced plans to "shift toward a transformational AI-powered assistant experience" in its Microsoft 365 apps, which will involve refocusing its "areas of innovation and development."
mean in English? Are they terminating Cortana to shift focus into using AI in Office 365? (If so, it could be interesting, I suppose, depending on what they do and how they do it.) I seriously can’t cut through the PR talk here, though.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
Shifting focus on AI in Office? Let's hope it's not Clippy v. 2.0!

Cortana's been killed on my gaming system. You'd be amazed how much CPU % and Memory utilization it used!

Simply take ownership of Windows\system32 and delete 'cortana.exe' after killing the process in task manager--have to be fast because it respawns in seconds.

Reactions: Jack Burton

shapesinaframe

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2020
What does mean in English? Are they terminating Cortana to shift focus into using AI in Office 365? (If so, it could be interesting, I suppose, depending on what they do and how they do it.) I seriously can’t cut through the PR talk here, though.
I think it means the functionality of Cortana will be distributed across the ecosystem instead of being centralised in "Cortana".

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Do even windows users use Cortana?

I've used Cortana a few times today - weather, meeting reminders, etc. I've even used it for dictation as an experiment. But generally I just use my android phone for voice activated stuff. It does everything I need with little hassle.
[automerge]1596578004[/automerge]
Shifting focus on AI in Office? Let's hope it's not Clippy v. 2.0!

Cortana's been killed on my gaming system. You'd be amazed how much CPU % and Memory utilization it used!

Simply take ownership of Windows\system32 and delete 'cortana.exe' after killing the process in task manager--have to be fast because it respawns in seconds.

Good tip if I want to squeeze more performance out of my PC!

livinglist

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Microsoft and Google both like to abandon projects instead of figuring out how to improve them.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
I've used Cortana a few times today - weather, meeting reminders, etc. I've even used it for dictation as an experiment. But generally I just use my android phone for voice activated stuff. It does everything I need with little hassle.

I can say the same about Siri, Alexa, the offline voice actions on my HTC, the works.

I'm sure there are use cases for any assistant.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I can say the same about Siri, Alexa, the offline voice actions on my HTC, the works.

I'm sure there are use cases for any assistant.

Sure. The person I replied to asked if Windows users even use Cortana. They are all handy for at least something minor at some point.

I use Cortana on my PC about as much as Siri on my mac, which is not much and for very little (weather, etc). If google voice was released on desktop I would stop using Cortana and Siri in a heartbeat.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
I wish Siri would go away on its own after I've asked it something on the Mac (such as dimming the screen, or turning the volume down, etc) instead of just sitting there annoying me. Even Cortana goes away when you're done.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Microsoft today announced plans to "shift toward a transformational AI-powered assistant experience" in its Microsoft 365 apps, which will involve refocusing its "areas of innovation and development."

As a result, Microsoft is ending all support for third-party Cortana skills and eliminating the Cortana apps for iOS and Android devices. Third-party Cortana skills will be deprecated on September 7, while the iOS and Android apps will stop being supported in early 2021.

Microsoft says that the Cortana Windows 10 experience, Cortana integration in Outlook mobile, and upcoming Cortana voice assistance in the Teams mobile app can be used to do things like manage calendar and email and join meetings.

Microsoft also plans to end support for the Cortana integration in the Harman Kardon Invoke speaker in January 2021. Speaker owners who used Cortana are eligible for a $50 Microsoft gift card as compensation.

Article Link: Microsoft Shutting Down Cortana App for iOS and Android

I’ll take the trade of removing Cortana from the Invoke speakers for $50 gift cards. I only paid $50 a piece for my pair of Invokes, so it‘s like getting two Bluetooth speakers for free.

I was excited when I first read the email today. Until I read that you had to have used the Cortana as a voice assistant in the six months before the announcement today in order to qualify for the $50 gift card. I was so frustrated and annoyed by Cortana (whyyyyyyyyyy did they force Invoke owners to use ONLY Cortana to set up the thing????) that I unplugged the Invoke and threw it on the top shelf of my closet almost a year ago.

Today, after reading the email, I decided to try setting it up to see if there was a firmware update that would make the setup more reliable. NOPE. I can't even get Cortana to connect to it now! When I first got this thing, I spent most of an entire weekend trying to set it up. Yes, I'm a Mac user. Yes, I own an iPhone. Yes, I was stupid to buy hardware that depended on a Microsoft app to even be set up! But I'm a true fan of Harmon Kardon, and if I could just get the Invoke to WORK AS A BLUETOOTH SPEAKER, I'd be a happy person. Instead, it looks like I have a $200 paperweight, since Cortana is such garbage that I can't even connect it to Bluetooth.

I have the Invoke speaker by Harmon Kardon. I don’t know if it will even work without Cortana. It seems they could at least leave it working or give a full refund for devices sold that work only with Cortana. Sucks! I also own a HomePod, which is much better due to the ecosystem. But in reality, the sound is very close for music. Which doesn’t seem likely looking at the two. Harmon Kardon picked the wrong partner.

Microsoft moved/removed the support page for the Harmon Kardon Invoke but you can still find the info here.
https://support.harmankardon.com/us/en/howto/invoke-faq

You can also still claim the $50 gift card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.