Microsoft sues US Govt over data requests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CliftonHighgrov, Apr 15, 2016.

1. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. MSFT are objecting to the fact around half of all requests for user data come with gagging orders.

The cynic and pragmatist in me says it's a PR ploy, to increase their standing in the face of Apple's recent PR coup vis à vis the San Bernardino iPhone case.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Tech198, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

u can try, but hadn't that been done before, and failed in the past ? Companies using already standing cases to try and make it look better than it really tends to be... Think Google did this with once i think, or AT&T.

I had hope for MS... a gag order is a gag order .. plain and simple... Why should anything else happens,, This is MS were talking about, not Apple. Why would it 'ease' the situation ?

I do like companies that attempt a fight this,, it means they have no idea what they are doing and do not understand the law.

4. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

You'd have to be a fool to believe that a company as rich as Microsoft couldn't afford decent legal representation. IOW: of course they know the law; IMO this is a PR exercise. As such, how it appears to the majority of the PC-buying public is what matters here.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Microsoft has changed since the days of Bill Gates. Gates, apparently, would be happy to have handed over all the data they could.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's also very likely that this law as implemented is unconstitutional. Since it isn't costing them much money if they don't sue and just go along with the gag orders it is most likely at least partly driven by PR, but they are working on a real issue.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's probably a bit of PR, and a bit of them standing their ground, a'la Apple. While it probably isn't entirely altruistic, this isn't the first time MS has stood up to a Patriot Act based request of information.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

is this the same Microsoft that has freely given source code to China, encouraged piracy there, and so on? Here's one article, many span as far back as 2003, if not earlier: http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/index.htm

And Microsoft should lose this lawsuit, unless it is staging like what Apple did.

Aren't people said that the GOP/Obama-adored TPP, where companies could sue government for loss of profit, didn't get passed? (And yet the same companies want government to stay out of things, despite taking all the taxpayer funded corporate welfare as they can get... not sure why anybody would glibly say "Good for Microsoft", since obvious companies always do good and government always does evil. :rolleyes: )
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2016 ---
    Microsoft only cares about its ability to collect our data, particularly when it comes to its ability to profit from the data.

People honestly have no fricasseed clue about the hypocrisy our fellow persons, corporations, engage in. Or else they wouldn't mindlessly support every antic they pull.
    MS, under Gates, did. See my aforementioned link above, for which it is not the first time a mainstream/major/tech news outlet pointed out how much Microsoft was giving away.

And, yes, Gates, was - interestingly - more reasoned when it came to this sort of thing. Especially in the cutthroat business he got lucky to get into thanks to IBM opening the proverbial door and then using brand recognition to sell underpowered hardware at inflated costs with other peoples' product (though to be fair, a deal was reached to buy DOS to be licensed to the underpowered IBM branded hardware to begin with because MS otherwise had nothing at the time...)
    The law isn't necessarily correct, ethical, or (insert adjective here). That's where things start to get just the teensiest big complex.

9. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I hadn't actually noticed that the TPP was currently dead in the water, since August '15 apparently. Good news, AFAICT. Though apparently it could still be resurrected.

Nah, I think it's a combination of ignorance, impotence and weariness. The complexity, and therefore time-consuming nature, of standing up to corporations is thoroughly disheartening and it takes a great deal of backing (financial, emotional, legal) to make any kind of a difference. As Sun Tzu said, "You have to pick your battles wisely."