Microsoft to kill MSN for the Mac

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
MacBytes said:
OK, sure that'll affect... like, 6 people.
...introduction of a new version of MSN Messenger for Mac.
Really?
[Heads to microsoft.com/mac] - yeah, kept that one quiet. Is it common knowledge they updated, or am I just slow?

Anyway, it still sucks. No av stuff. But more emoticons!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
This is terrible news. Thank God we can still sort of kind of use AOL! I mean, otherwise, we'd need to just, well, connect right to the scary Internet. :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
brap said:
OK, sure that'll affect... like, 6 people.
Really?
[Heads to microsoft.com/mac] - yeah, kept that one quiet. Is it common knowledge they updated, or am I just slow?

Anyway, it still sucks. No av stuff. But more emoticons!
It was posted elsewhere that MSN Messenger for Mac will be updated to version 5.0 but it's almost a shame that the MSN software took so long to create and took so little to clear out.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
aswitcher said:
My money says under Tiger iChat will support more than AOL ;)
I hope you're right, but I've got a feeling Apple will never be allowed to incorporate Messenger compatibility as part of their OS without some serious royalties being paid. Hopefully I'm wrong though, god knows Microsoft has taken enough from Apple over the years! :)

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Well in all honesty, it is kind of bad news for potential switchers. Before, PC users who have MSN could switch over their accounts to a Mac, now they cannot. This is probably Microsoft's answer to the Mac mini.

Fishes,
narco.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You're allowed to break many of those contracts if you are no longer able to connect--like moving to a place with no local dialup #, or ceasing to use your computer. I doubt MSN is that fair, but maybe.

That doesn't help with your email address... which is why I tell people not to use an ISP email address. It just ties you to them needlessly. (And I put .mac in the same category :) Stop paying and untold people you might want to hear from again will lose the ability to mail you.)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
There are still all the third party IM that can connect to MSN such as Adium. Perhaps, too many people are using those.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
angelneo said:
There are still all the third party IM that can connect to MSN such as Adium. Perhaps, too many people are using those.
I believe this has nothing to do with MSN Messenger but rather MSN internet service.

That would truly be cool if Tiger's iChat could seamlessly connect to MSN Messenger. Is it true, bousozoku? I've tried Adium but don't you have to choose the service you want to emulate first? I'd like something that would allow me to chat with MSN, Yahoo!, AOL, the whole lot, simultaneously. If I remember correctly, Adium is limited in that respect.

Squire

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Squire said:
I'd like something that would allow me to chat with MSN, Yahoo!, AOL, the whole lot, simultaneously. If I remember correctly, Adium is limited in that respect.
Adium X does it all at the same time. You have one big contacts list with all your contacts in it, AOL, yahoo, msn, ...
Some things like group chat on msn or av does not work with adium X though... minor discomfort i think

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Thank goodness they're pulling it. I can't stand that program.

If they can't write in A/V to that program, then good riddance.

I'd have to say that is the worst updated program ever put on the Mac from M$.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
xtbfx said:
Thank goodness they're pulling it. I can't stand that program.

If they can't write in A/V to that program, then good riddance.

I'd have to say that is the worst updated program ever put on the Mac from M$.
Its the MSN service that is going - so its no big deal any way. I expect it only affects the states too.

Its rumoured that MS are going to put AV into the next version of MSN Messenger. Hope so, I'm fed up of using windows for that.

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Stella said:
Its the MSN service that is going - so its no big deal any way. I expect it only affects the states too.

Its rumoured that MS are going to put AV into the next version of MSN Messenger. Hope so, I'm fed up of using windows for that.
Oh ok. Well it still doesn't matter. They've been 'rumoring' AV in the next version of MSN forever.

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
Umm, you guys are all happy about this, but can I just point out something? MSN is pretty much the number 1 IM application used in the UK for people aged 10-21. MSN is pretty much synonymous with IM. If they just dump msn for mac it'll be another thing for the dumb kids to say to the mac kids, "macs dont have msn so they suck". Also, not many people that use msn mac know about adium so they'll most likely just stop using chat altogether.

Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to do this. If they could be arsed to put some money into it they could have created a simple, easy to use, fully featured chat client that could rival iChat. I don't understand MS's lack of effort!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Whoopty crap. Like the article said, you can just use the built in dialer. Anyone with an IQ above 100 should be able to figure that out.

sonyrules

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2001
Ohio
nagromme said:
You're allowed to break many of those contracts if you are no longer able to connect--like moving to a place with no local dialup #, or ceasing to use your computer. I doubt MSN is that fair, but maybe.

That doesn't help with your email address... which is why I tell people not to use an ISP email address. It just ties you to them needlessly. (And I put .mac in the same category :) Stop paying and untold people you might want to hear from again will lose the ability to mail you.)
The Problem with that is that alot more website are requiring some kind of pay email address, alot of service no longer will take hotmail, yahoo, gmail, stuff like that. Paying my Time Warner and electric bill is a good example.. They will not allow you to sign up using a free based email account..

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
loneAzdgari said:
Umm, you guys are all happy about this, but can I just point out something? MSN is pretty much the number 1 IM application used in the UK for people aged 10-21. MSN is pretty much synonymous with IM. If they just dump msn for mac it'll be another thing for the dumb kids to say to the mac kids, "macs dont have msn so they suck". Also, not many people that use msn mac know about adium so they'll most likely just stop using chat altogether.

Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to do this. If they could be arsed to put some money into it they could have created a simple, easy to use, fully featured chat client that could rival iChat. I don't understand MS's lack of effort!
They are not dumping messenger.. They are dumping the MSN service.

The two are very different.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JordanNZ said:
They are not dumping messenger.. They are dumping the MSN service.

The two are very different.
LOL, yes. It says a lot, though, about the marketing of the MSN service vs the popularity of MSN Messenger (which is really popular with the younger set here in the US too!), that so many people misinterpreted this. :D