Microsoft

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Spymac gave a heads up on a Washington Post article that reports Microsoft may threaten to pull Windows:

Microsoft Corp. plans to argue in court hearings next week that if antitrust sanctions sought by state prosecutors are granted, the company would be forced to pull its latestWindows computeroperating systems off the market and be unable to develop new systems.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Ah, we can only wish. While it would be great to see Microsoft shoot itself on purpose, I just don't see it happening.

And as the article also mentions, M$ is trying to say they can't write their OS's which don't integrate some of their programs like IE. Yeah, right. Mac OS and Linux seem to work just fine without a browser built into them!

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: Analogy:

Originally posted by mischief
"Either you shut up about the Deathcamps or I shoot all the prisoners!!!!"

Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! It would be just our luck that the gun wouldn't be loaded, though...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Holy crap! An answer to prayer!! Can we say GOLD MINE? I think if that happened Apple would DEFINITELY port OS X to the PC platform. :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'll provide the bullets if you need more mischief :D...

DOWN WITH BILL GATES!!!

Even if they yank windows, they will still have the hexbox...

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
A dream for my children:

I dream of the day my young (as yet unconcieved) child asks me:"Dad, Why does Microsoft have "soft" in their name if they only do Hardware?":D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
so seriously...

what do u think would happen if they were ordered to take the remains off shelves all over the world?

would Windoze become a black-market product?

even though I'd love the benefits for Apple, I don't think the world is ready to embrace Mac OS X as their their computers saviors just yet...

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
It's a *nix world after all, It's a *nix world after all............

It's an...open....source.....world!!!!!!:D :D

Linux and Unix and X, Oh My!Linux and Unix and X, Oh My!Linux and Unix and X, Oh My!

The old ones speak of a dark time when one man controlled the minds of many and all the world trembled at his shoddy software.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
all joking aside (and mischief thats some funny stuff) its pretty interesting that microsoft has reponded to an antitrust suit by trying to level its power as a monopoly in order to blackmail the people who are saying ms is acting improperly.

i mean what more proof do people need that ms does not play nicely?

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Re: Microsoft

Ok, so what's the problem :)

-Larry

Originally posted by arn
Spymac gave a heads up on a Washington Post article that reports Microsoft may threaten to pull Windows:

Microsoft Corp. plans to argue in court hearings next week that if antitrust sanctions sought by state prosecutors are granted, the company would be forced to pull its latestWindows computeroperating systems off the market and be unable to develop new systems.

Mirus

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
MN
One word...

Babies!

This is rediculous. You know Billy's just saying that so the court will go light on him. "If I can't play by my rules I don't want to play at all"...

Kind of reminds me of a friend back in high school that would do *"the wave" with the Shogun board because he was losing...

* Lifting one side of the board and shacking it sending the pieces flying...

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Awwww *sniffle*

Somebody's clearly been reading Atlas Shrugged lately. I'd love to see the looks on faces in Microsoft's boardroom when depriving us of Windows doesn't "stop the motor of the world."

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
backfire?

This is beautiful...MS is attempting to use the same techniques on the courts that it has used for years in the marketplace.

Here's to hoping that the courts recognize this as well, and take it for what it is: further evidence of a monopoly that has grown too powerful for the good of the marketplace.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I agree with Eyelikeart

Altough we might lose Office v.X. in the process (Apple would launch a Mac OS X for windoze), any remaining Mac related people of the company would leave and then come back to apple... :)
Appleworks 7 is coming baby!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Microsoft

Originally posted by arn

The judge should simply say, "Okay."

Rocketman

barvow

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2002
Fort Worth, TX
Originally posted by Gelfin
Awwww *sniffle*

Somebody's clearly been reading Atlas Shrugged lately. I'd love to see the looks on faces in Microsoft's boardroom when depriving us of Windows doesn't "stop the motor of the world."

Gelfin...I think it's more like "Nerdboy Shrugged". If Gates ever read "Atlas Shrugged", it was probably the "Ayn Rand for Dummies" version. He probably crossed out John Gault every time it appears and wrote in "Little Billy Gates". I can just see him arguing that "A=A" means that Windows can't be written with Internet Explorer disabled. :)

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
why are you guys talking about Bill being in trouble. he is not even the CEO anymore. he is head of software or something like that. I think that the reason he stepped down was because he knew something likt this was going to happen and he didn't want to be sued along with the company. But, what ever, I just hope that MS won't make Windows anymore. If they didn't then all of those PC companies would die, or they would have to use Linux, or Apple could port OS X. Then it would be like the clone thing all over. He would stop licensing it after a year and Apple would be almost the only thing on the market to buy. Or it could be very disastrous, someone could make a new OS and everyone would use that because lot's of those Windows people hate using Macs, and when I ask them what they would do if Microsoft went down the hole, they say they might not even use a computer anymore because they hate apple so much. Oh well, gotta go to school.:(

Mirus

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
MN
Or...

*gasp* IBM could bring OS/2 back (OS/3?) with a Linux core. Basically OS X for PCs...

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
would the world be worse off by not having to updgrade their stink OS all the time? i think not.

agreed. To the Judge... call M$'s bluff. Say, "okay,"

and then watch everyone at M$ fill their pants with turds.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Will never happen

The world is made of of tough talkers, who are really a bunch of babies. This will never happen in a million years. No one has the balls to say, "ok Bill, pull Windows off the shelf"

JOHN

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
ha ha, nice blag Micro$oft!!!

I'd like to see the judge not only say "Okay, do it!" but I'd like to see in enforced to the point where Micro$oft employee's responsible for it's marketing and distribution end up in prison if it doesn't happen on a world wide scale. Now that would be good. I wonder if apple have kept that Intel compatable OS X on the back burner or maybe they could start at the beginning again and give the intel boxes "startrek" (the codename for the unreleased intel compatable version of the Mac OS).

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Hear no windows, speak no windows, see no windows..

I only wish it were true.. But this is really just the wailing of a bad kid having a temper tantrum in court because it isn't getting its way..

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Send 'em to jail.

The world will not be safe until billy gates and his crowd are in jail.
Joke?
No.
There are secrets at M$ that will eventually make Enron look like Winona Ryder's shoplifting charge.

Hard time for Billy-boy!

Evidence? No, I dont have any. Well evidence doesnt seem to work in the M$ anti-trust case, so why bother with it.

Lynch 'em, boys!