Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
in the this age we still go back to old time and refer to "the clicker"
This looks good, but the case is double the size of the googles.

My only point, is if it runs Windows 10, wouldn't that also mean u can see a virtual BSOD as well when it crashes the OS due to not enough memory ?

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
This device really won't offer anything like the same experience as "visiting anywhere in the world". A more accurate description of its capabilities would be making little 3D characters sort of look like they are sitting on your furniture...

The problem is anything that requires the user to wear strange glasses or any other kind of contraption on their head will never last beyond the: "wow I've got to try this new toy" stage... which usually lasts a couple of months at best, before the device becomes a dust collector.

Sure hardcore geeks will insist on using it a little longer, but even they will get bored eventually.

VR/Augmented reality will probably be reasonably popular on the next generation of games consoles, but I imagine it will suffer the same fate as the Wii and 3D televisions before it.

Expect VR to make another comeback some time in the 2030's when someone figures out how to stream reality directly into your brain, without you having to look an extra from Lawnmower man. ;-)

It's good Microsoft are trying out new things, but nobody yet has been able to come up with another true game-changer since multitouch started the smartphone and tablet revolution. The next one will probably be something to do with cheap high-capacity memory, long-lasting battery technology, or long-range wireless power. Hopefully one of these will come along sooner rather than later.

I can see this catching on if it can be made not much heavier than a normal pair of sunglasses. The only way to make that work is to wirelessly stream the image through another device, like a steroidal iPhone or pocket-mac. Battery-life will be a big issue. Who wants to have only a few hours of use at a time?

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
Microsoft comes up with some pretty interesting and -yes, i'm gonna say it: innovative - ideas lately...
Lots of what they do is garbage, some of what they do is very interesting - but at least they keep trying out new things.

BUT: Microsoft have absolutely NO clue, NO vision, NO idea whatsoever, what to do with it...
Apple on the other hand damn well know, how to sell their stuff: They are true marketing geniuses, I give 'em that!

They did not come up with anything new, surprising or innovative for years. They look around what's new to the market and if they find something interesting, they just but the whole company and put the product into their phones.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
So, is it going to track the crying from the user being researched on when he/she see's the Kinect and reacts to it?

Honestly, why would psychology departments track movements? ....

??? I am not sure why you find this surprising. Many psychologists study movements in basic research, either because they are specifically interested in how movements are planned and executed by the brain, or because movements tell us about other processes, such as attention, problem solving, learning, etc. Not all psychologists are clinicians. ;)

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I honestly can't see the excitement around VR yet. Maybe Apple will make it a necessity when they enter the market.

HoloLens is NOT a VR product - it''s about augmented reality, which is an entirely different thing!
[doublepost=1456835041][/doublepost]
Microsoft comes up with some pretty interesting and -yes, i'm gonna say it: innovative - ideas lately...
Lots of what they do is garbage, some of what they do is very interesting - but at least they keep trying out new things.

BUT: Microsoft have absolutely NO clue, NO vision, NO idea whatsoever, what to do with it...
Apple on the other hand damn well know, how to sell their stuff: They are true marketing geniuses, I give 'em that!

They did not come up with anything new, surprising or innovative for years. They look around what's new to the market and if they find something interesting, they just but the whole company and put the product into their phones.
They have very clearly shown what can be done with HoloLens (and even Kinect) - and it's not really a consumer technology. There's a huge range of industrial applications for it though - which is an area Apple is quite clueless about...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Why, what's 3 grand to a developer? You have people here who spend that much every year buying the latest iPhone for their family.
True, but paying to develop software for a new product is something I would do at a lower price.

Especially since we have no idea on a release date to the public or how it will be adopted.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
well then. let's not rain on a third world villager's parade then. i personally get excited when others have opportunities they didn't have before. exciting enough to be interested in a brand new technology that has been written about in science fiction for almost a century. i fail to see how people can be excited about computers enough to frequent MR, but then draw the line right where computers evolve into a new and cutting edge industry. VR combines every medium that exist right now. how could one not be interested in everything they're interested in?

You're right that it has some amazing potential. But I'll be interested in it when it's a lot more mature, is much more user friendly, and it can actually deliver on some of its promise without having to Heath Kit things together. In other words, when Apple releases something...

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
How else are we supposed to point and laugh at glassholes?

best stuff ever, make em feel like their back in high school. I saw the video and articles where people supposedly got bullied, which was really not bullying, but okay... People don't want to be taped without consent. They may strike and I don't blame the striker. Tech is doing far more damage since 2008 or so. We fell off a cliff somewhere. Amusing and sad.

Larry Page, please fix those teeth, it is well past time. It's gross. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 952863

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
best stuff ever, make em feel like their back in high school. I saw the video and articles where people supposedly got bullied, which was really not bullying, but okay... People don't want to be taped without consent. They may strike and I don't blame the striker. Tech is doing far more damage since 2008 or so. We fell off a cliff somewhere. Amusing and sad.

Larry Page, please fix those teeth, it is well past time. It's gross. ;)
Larry Page is the most unattractive human being on the planet. He has all this money and can't even get cosmetic surgery. What a waste. And that voice, sounds like a creep who waits for children at parks. Ewww.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Larry Page is the most unattractive human being on the planet. He has all this money and can't even get cosmetic surgery. What a waste. And that voice, sounds like a creep who waits for children at parks. Ewww.

I know he has that vocal chord condition but he does sound like a pedo. He should wear a shirt that says "Creep factor"

Reactions: 952863

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
I know he has that vocal chord condition but he does sound like a pedo. He should wear a shirt that says "Creep factor"
He's also a creep cause he steals people's privacy and snickers. *shudders*

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
Well, privacy is a big concern for majority of the people these days. Wouldn't you agree? And who knows what the future holds, but MS needs good advertisers for this product. But from the recent 'bug' Windows 10 ad, I'm skeptical.

Privacy is important I wont' argue against that.
I got a sense of irony from the cries as I picture some users had a windows PC/laptop which is most likely always online and has a mic & camera.

Tell me about it! the Surface team has been MS shining star and eventually I hope they take over all devices from design to marketing; as much as I like MS they seemed hexed to me at times, they do one good thing and then something bizarre to cheese everyone off again.

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
Privacy is important I wont' argue against that.
I got a sense of irony from the cries as I picture some users had a windows PC/laptop which is most likely always online and has a mic & camera.

Tell me about it! the Surface team has been MS shining star and eventually I hope they take over all devices from design to marketing; as much as I like MS they seemed hexed to me at times, they do one good thing and then something bizarre to cheese everyone off again.
Good points. And, the surface team is a definitely a breath of fresh air within MS.

Hoolio0380

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Sadly, VR isn't coming to the Mac.. Apple do not provide powerful enough graphic cards in their machines. Oculus requires a minimum of Nvidia 970.

How many products that Apple work on never seen the light of day? Microsoft are a lot more public about what products they are working on than Apple. I expect Apple have had a lot of products that never seen a production release.

Whats more dangerous - WIFI signals or Cellular signals against your head?
To clear things up for you , there both dangerous !!!.....Both are forms of RADATION!!! Also, I never hold a phone to my head , its always on speaker.....VR is straight to the head and how people usually play games , it'll be on your head for extremely large periods of time ..... Does that seem healthy to you?

Reactions: developer13245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.