Microsoft's 'Settlement' Rejected

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Microsoft's settlement was rejected according to this CNet article

In his 21-page ruling, U.S. District Judge J. Fredrick Motz agreed with opponents that the proposed deal in the antitrust cases would be itself be anti-competitive. He also said that the private cases had not been developed far enough to determine the extent of damages that could have been obtained through litigation.

Indeed, Apple had been outspoken about this "settlement" which would have provided Microsoft "donations" of primarily Windows hardware/software to schools.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
When will the settlement end?

When the AC gets stuck at 0 degrees celsuis in M$'s programming dept.
IE: when Hell freezes over.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
im willing to pay plenty of taxes in order to see m$ reap the consequences of mr. gates' unethical actions. "thats the way the game is played" mr gates.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Gates...

Originally posted by sparkleytone
im willing to pay plenty of taxes in order to see m$ reap the consequences of mr. gates' unethical actions. "thats the way the game is played" mr gates.
what I think a lot of people here don't understand is that nobody is ever going to "get" Gates for anything he's done....he's not "Public Enemy #1"...

and like I've said before, as much as we all don't like them (I really don't care Microsoft at all!), they are a powerful company and when they do well....other's benefit from it as well....so it's a double-edged sword I suppose...

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Why not to do drugs

Good to see FINALLY someone in the U.S. government isn't doing crack. I was tempted to revoke my citizenship and move to Europe if M$ ended up giving away a bunch of computers and software to the schools. If it was just money they had to pay, OK, but when they are giving their software away, that is only spreading their plague.

I still think a break-up should have happened. It might have not completely crumbled them, but it would have probably complicated things enough so it wouldn't be so easy for them to keep tying in their products with their OS. If M$ had actually been responsible, then they probably wouldn't be in this mess. At least with Apple (under OS 9) they would offer competing products: IE vs. Netscape, RealPlayer vs. QuickTime. With OS X, they haven't done that nearly so much, mainly because there were no competing products immediately. IE beat Netscape to the draw, and there still isn't an X version of RealPlayer (that I've seen, at least)...and who really cares or uses WMP anyway? I tried 6.3 once, but it never worked, and into the Trash it went!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
#1 benefit of Corporate structure.

In a corporation no single employee can be held legally accountable for actions commited by or in the name of the corporation unless that employee commits grossly negligent acts or acts outside the scope of reasonable good faith.If an emloyee commits such acts, the corporation will litigate on it's own except in cases of very small companies in which the finances and identities of the Corporation and employee are rendered indestinguishable by negligent acts.

Unless a criminal case can be made charging Bill Gates personally with Racketeering, Embezzlement, Fraud, Negligence or other criminal Act he is unlikely to face any repercussions for M$'s actions in the marketplace other than a decline in stock value.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
well, I must say...

I am very glad, though, that they won't be donating to schools...

this leaves Apple in the spotlight to make the move!

U

Unregistered

taxpayers don't pay for this trial

let this trial drag on for years, and let MS pay more and more of its profits to its lawyers, for no taxpayer money is going into this case. this is not the DOJ anti-trust trial, it is a class-action suit brought by many private citizens against the company. their lawyers are taking care of it, and their fees will come from whatever settlement is reached. am I right, or am I right?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
endless supply of money...

I hope u realize that this won't hurt Microsoft's bank account one bit....do u realize how much money the corporation generates? Sure it will cost them a lot of money....but I'd be willing to bet the costs are just a mere fraction of what they generate in a single month...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by dantec
Nice baby photo eyelikeart...

Was that some art you did yourself???

:p
no....it was my beloved kewpie doll that everyone though was evil....so I changed it to the eye....I'm taking a poll to see what u guys think since I got such a reaction out of the baby....general discussion forum... ;)

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
this is really annoying, just shows how if you have money you have power, unless you are a really really good con man

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
think about it...

money makes the world go around....

and as long as it's Microsoft up to bat in the courts.....there's nearly an endless supply of it...

atlascott

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2001
M$--bad.

Microsoft has:

1) Bullied and threatened hardware and software makers in such a way to edge out other software companys' products. They have used their position in the market to kill competition in ways other than as defined in the market (i.e., if you have a better, or cheaper, or better and cheaper product, you tend to win more market share). That is the very definition of a predatory monopoly, which is illegal. Even after this anti-trust case wrapped up, Microsfot continues to pull the same crap. Historical examples: Netscape v. Explorer. Current examples: Windows Media player v. Real player, Quicktime; .Net v. Java. I respect M$'s extreme desire to "win"--but there are rules. And M$ breaks them with impunity and should be brought to task.

2) Lied to its customers (about the stability and functionality of its software); lied to the government under oath (Bill Gates and his employees were caught in several lies on the record to a federal court of law). Yet they have not been brought up on fraud or perjury charges--a shame, really, and an indictment of the judiciary.

At least the school plan was not approved.

And here's the danger--M$ has finally released a stable OS--Win XP. True, it is riddled with security problems and has a fascist registration policy. But by every account, it is stable and fast, and compatible with older software.

You people bitching about paying taxes to bring CRIMINALS to justice ought o be ashamed of yourselves. The ONLY reason M$ is still around is because, to date, we have not stood up and held M$ accountable for its actions. We must do so now, though it may be too late. M$ has a strangle-hold on the home and office markets, and is successfully converting an OS to a service (yearly subscritption) rather than a good (buy it once and use it until you feel like upgrading).

Someone with $$ and smart people (How about IBM? or Apple?) needs to reverse engineer Windows 98 and release a cheaper OS that runs legacy Windows apps. without paying a fee to M$. I predict that such a company could make a killing. If Apple did it, they could finally be a player--Mac OS X with an app that runs M$ applications, but without a true emulator like VPC, which pays a licensing fee to Gates.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Leg Irons

Man would I love to see Bill Gates in Shackles and a belly band being brought back in after a night in jail for contempt.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Better than Murder:

Nationalize M$ into a public utility. That'd kill ANY company. At the same time port Mac OS to Intel/AMD. All PC's to be leased out by "M$Bell" and replaced free. PC's would have to be standardized and only Mac would stand out as above the Lowest Common Denominator.:D

To get the stock price of a public Utility: Divide the dollar value of said company by the nation's population.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Better than Murder:

Originally posted by mischief
Nationalize M$ into a public utility. That'd kill ANY company. At the same time port Mac OS to Intel/AMD. All PC's to be leased out by "M$Bell" and replaced free. PC's would have to be standardized and only Mac would stand out as above the Lowest Common Denominator.:D

To get the stock price of a public Utility: Divide the dollar value of said company by the nation's population.
he's on to something.... :D

W

who cares

Response

Who cares whether or not Microsoft makes inroads with school districts. The new OSX server is a joke. Even the Apple engineers who have been in out place of work can make the server stable. And as for the OSX on the workstations, there is little if any educational software which will run on it let alone be user friendly. Apple may have 6 million iMacs out their; however, this business is in the prcess of dumping 1200 of them.

W

who cares

Response

Who cares whether or not Microsoft makes inroads with school districts. The new OSX server is a joke. Even the Apple engineers who have been in out place of work can make the server stable. And as for the OSX on the workstations, there is little if any educational software which will run on it let alone be user friendly. Apple may have 6 million iMacs out their; however, this business is in the process of dumping 1200 of them.