Microsoft's SetTop Vision

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
With revival of rumors of an Apple's Set Top Box, it's interesting to see direction of the rest of the industry. Microsoft released information on Mira in Jan.

Unlike many other Web tablets, Mira actually doesn't function as an independent computer. Instead, it effectively relays data and commands back and forth from a PC via an 802.11 wireless network and Windows CE.Net, the latest version of CE. Letting the PC do most of the heavy lifting saves on battery life.

With an expected cost of $500-$800, I'm not sure how successful they will become... especially when laptops can be had for not much more.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Microsofts Digital hub is a mess. They have no good software barring media player, their OS is ****, and their console which they invested their life in isnt part of this hub they speak of.

This is a weak attempt to make the core piece of hardware for their hub, using **** components and a novelty idea that has no value whatsoever.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Ever wonder why X box is over-powered?

It's designed to get an 802.11 card in some future rev. It's M$'s backup plan to Windows.........which is a crashing Zeppelin. X-Box + Mira=M$ survival.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I dont see how appz designed for a 128bit console could work with a Pc like that at all. Linking up mira to an Xbox wouldnt really achieve much anyway, you couldnt play games on the thing, transferring files would be pointless seeing as you have a PC in your house.

the only extra option this gives you is for patch updates.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
What a piece of crap. I guess if you consider it a monitor replacement with a little bit of autonomy it's okay as a gee-whiz attention grabber, but it's 1/4 as useful as a laptop for 2/3 the price...I bet they sell tons of them.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by SPG
What a piece of crap. I guess if you consider it a monitor replacement with a little bit of autonomy it's okay as a gee-whiz attention grabber, but it's 1/4 as useful as a laptop for 2/3 the price...I bet they sell tons of them.
there is some appeal...

it would be kinda nice to be able to use your computer from anywhere in the house... if Apple made one of these, I'm sure we'd be all over it...

The problem with this concept though is the same as the Network Computer... you're building in 90% of the cost of a full computer... might as well add in the hard drive etc... and have a full computer instead of having a crippled device for almost the same price.

arn

L

littlejim

"Microsoft's 'SetTop' Vision"

Love the title of this thread "Microsoft's 'SetTop' Vision".

Microsoft couldn't have a vision if God himself walked into Bill Gates's office.

littleJim
---------

He's fallen in the water

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
iBook = tablet with keyboard

Originally posted by arn

there is some appeal...

it would be kinda nice to be able to use your computer from anywhere in the house... if Apple made one of these, I'm sure we'd be all over it...

The problem with this concept though is the same as the Network Computer... you're building in 90% of the cost of a full computer... might as well add in the hard drive etc... and have a full computer instead of having a crippled device for almost the same price.

arn
Apple already has the iBook and AirPort. With them, you've got a fully capable computer that's small, connected AND usable. What are you going to comfortably accomplish with a tablet as you walk around your house? How easy will it be to prop this thing up in your kitchen to read a recipe from some cooking website? How effective will a tablet be at quickly showing me a phone number, when I have to hold it and dial at the same time?

Let's be realistic here.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: iBook = tablet with keyboard

Originally posted by clonenode

Apple already has the iBook and AirPort. With them, you've got a fully capable computer that's small, connected AND usable. What are you going to comfortably accomplish with a tablet as you walk around your house? How easy will it be to prop this thing up in your kitchen to read a recipe from some cooking website? How effective will a tablet be at quickly showing me a phone number, when I have to hold it and dial at the same time?

Let's be realistic here.
Like I said, the problem is that the laptops exist at close to the same cost... I don't think we're arguing this (see what I wrote above).

However... I will say that I find the tablet formfactor somewhat appealing.

arn

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
ok im a little shocked by people's respones here. ok its m$ so its fun to bash them, but this thing seems almost exactly like what people have been asking for for their apple pda. ok it misses a few VERY key components, but the wireless computer terminal thing is very nice idea. especially if it has more than just 802.11 wireless but full roaming access. you would have access to your computer with all of its processing power and storage anywhere you went in the world. i agree it needs some components to also make it autonomous. but the high powered pda mixed with a wireless computer terminal is exactly where i think the pda market needs to go. sure ms didnt get it right this time(when do they ever get things right the first time?), but they are showing that they are going in the right direction while the rest of the industry is just scratching its head.

i honestly think if apple had a wireless computer terminal you would all be singing the praises.

although this ms product is a bit castrated i still think it has some limited function and (more than anything else) potencial.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by spikey
Microsofts Digital hub is a mess. They have no good software barring media player, their OS is ****, and their console which they invested their life in isnt part of this hub they speak of.

This is a weak attempt to make the core piece of hardware for their hub, using **** components and a novelty idea that has no value whatsoever.
Microsoft is a mess! They have soo many companies that have built off of them, its not even funny! Apple is the center of my digital world, and it always will be.

crush7

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2001
Germany, Heilbronn
Re: iBook = tablet with keyboard

What are you going to comfortably accomplish with a tablet as you walk around your house?

:confused:

I think that's a valid question. I dont even understand why a company as large as MS makes such a big fuss about a device that introduces nothing really new. It looks to me, as if they simply do not have a strategy or vision.
There are really big problems that MS should try to solve first. Like making it impossible for viruses to enter their systems via e-Mail. Or stability. Or the way their systems communicate to users. (I get really aggressive when I get messages like: "It looks like you want to write a letter. Do you need any help?" )

These are good times for someone like me, who carries a Powerbook G4 around.