Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
30 days?
Unbelievable!
I am sending this to everyone on my e-mail list... lol

Matthew

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If this major push for Firefox 1.0 (the official release) has the desired effect, Firefox's market share could easily double, triple, or even quadruple (4x what it is now). Just imagine how such a development would stun Microsoft - and the killer thing is that their usual tactics fall flat on their face here.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Running v1 on my peecee, crashed the first time i quit the program - oh well :eek:

The previous beta versions were too buggy to use so i went back to Exploer,hoping to stay with Firefox if it's stable.

Of course by next year i'll be using Safari :D

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
I'm running the latest Firefox on my work PC for a couple of weeks without any issues. Am really starting to warm to it. May look to push it out to our users.

But I will never consider it on my Mac if they don't ever put a close button on the tabs like Safari does.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Firefox is way better than explorer for windows. It has a few little quirks on the Mac that make me stick with Safari, but if Safari doesn't improve its rendering speed soon, I may make the switch.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
ChrisH3677 said:
I'm running the latest Firefox on my work PC for a couple of weeks without any issues. Am really starting to warm to it. May look to push it out to our users.

But I will never consider it on my Mac if they don't ever put a close button on the tabs like Safari does.
Check out this Firefox extension; it lets you double-click a tab to close it. I can't live without it now.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Yay for Firefox!

I use it almost exclusively in Windows. Lately, It's become my primary browser on the Mac too. Safari is very nice, but Firefox has some features that I've come to love :)

In the end, having people migrate from IE to alternative browsers, be it Firefox, Safari or Opera, will be better for the web. Some competition is needed :)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I don't understand how this would be MS's worst nightmare.

IE hasn't been significantly upgraded in 2 years. That's YEARS. I don't know what that huge company has been working on all this time, but it's not to make new and cool stuff.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
mainstreetmark said:
IE hasn't been significantly upgraded in 2 years. That's YEARS. I don't know what that huge company has been working on all this time, but it's not to make new and cool stuff.
"Security." MS have said for years that they want to move to a subscription-based software licensing model. Janus and eventually hardware-based DRM are what they see as their future.

wjones

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
Camino or firefox?

I see a lot of talk about firefox use... do you guys not use camino in OSX?

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Camino hasn't had a major update in a LONG time. Camino should fold and just start partying a true Aqua port of Firefox to further optimize it on OS X.

Firefox and Camino have alot in common are replecating each others work.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Just as an FYI as of this morning we are at 6,073,979 downloads not two as the article states. Someone said that the betas were buggy. I don't know what you were running but I've been using FireFox since .6 and have only crashed a couple of times in .6. One or two in .7 and zero times in .8 or .9. Its been a flawless experience this from a diehard IE user since day one. I've gone back to Mozilla time and again. Just to dang slow. FireFox is more then a breath of fresh air. It pulls a Roadrunner vs. Wile E. Coyote by kicking dirt in the face of IE as it takes off. AFAIC its the best browser on the market. I actually wish more Mac users would use it. If even more FireFox browser registered on people's web sites when they go to check their logs they would take FireFox more seriously. *shrugs* Something to think about guys.

Loft

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
question

i have a powerbook. so if i download this, will it affect the safari web browser? do i need to change safari or is it already a very good browser?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Loft said:
i have a powerbook. so if i download this, will it affect the safari web browser? do i need to change safari or is it already a very good browser?
Huh? It's just another web browser. Nothing will happen to Safari, even if you make Firefox the default browser.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Firefox is a great browser, but Camino still has some OS X features that Firefox (at least for OS X) lacks that keep me using it as opposed to Firefox(close button on tabs, bookmarks menu in dock icon with right click, easier managing of history, and some others).

Firefox has its adavantages too, such as a superior search as you type.

I agree with Bendit in saying that Camino should die and have its features go into Firefox OS X.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
XnavxeMiyyep said:
Firefox is a great browser, but Camino still has some OS X features that Firefox (at least for OS X) lacks that keep me using it as opposed to Firefox(close button on tabs, bookmarks menu in dock icon with right click, easier managing of history, and some others).

Firefox has its adavantages too, such as a superior search as you type.

I agree with Bendit in saying that Camino should die and have its features go into Firefox OS X.
Me three on the Camino merged into Firefox for Mac OS X thing. I don't really see the point of Camino anyway.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I like Camino a lot, but Safari won me over.

Since then, I've tried Firefox and can see that it's nice in many ways--a great choice on Windows--but not enough to tempt me away from Safari.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Version 0.92 was a little buggy for me (wouldn't import anything), but I like 1.0PR so far. Added a few extensions, and loving it more than ever. It's still no Safari, which will kick *** in version 2 from what I've seen. But vs. IE, no contest. The only thing I miss is when you hold your mouse over an image in IE, a little thing comes over it that gives you the option to save it directly to the Pictures Folder or Print it (or e-mail, or open My Pictures). I tried using Download Sort, but it doesn't seem to work like that.

And before you go thinking it's all about pr0n, I have started d/l'ing edesignuk funny pics. I hate that it's easier to do this on a PC with IE.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Go FF!

I even donated to the NY Times ad

Firefox has been my browser on the PC since it was Mozilla and it's been a great browser, no problems, no crashes and it works like Safari which makes me very happy. Once a website I use moves away from IE (lousy thing only works on IE 6.0 or IE for OSX, bah!) I'm never using Internet Explorer again.
Furthermore, when this site works with Firefox, I'm instituting a company policy requiring Firefox over IE; we're tired of worrying about security and 2006 is far too long to wait for another version, MS has truly dropped the ball on this one.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
solvs said:
Version 0.92 was a little buggy for me (wouldn't import anything), but I like 1.0PR so far. Added a few extensions, and loving it more than ever. It's still no Safari, which will kick *** in version 2 from what I've seen. But vs. IE, no contest. The only thing I miss is when you hold your mouse over an image in IE, a little thing comes over it that gives you the option to save it directly to the Pictures Folder or Print it (or e-mail, or open My Pictures). I tried using Download Sort, but it doesn't seem to work like that.
<snip>
I can't get Firefox 1.0PR to import anything either. I'm using Mozilla 1.7 as my alternative browser in the meantime, since that one has a working import function.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I've always used firefox as an alternative for a browser on my PC. I was considering using it for my mac when it used the mac aqua them in 0.73. Now, firefox uses the same theme all across OS's.

Firefox has more features than safari: allowing pop-up for some sites and blocking cookies from some sites) I hope that safari in OS 10.4, tiger, will improve a lot. I still download the latest firefox version for my mac; there are times when some sites do not work safari and do on firefox.

Sometimes i wish safari used the mozilla gecko engine instead of konquerer ... that way website developers only have to worry about compatibility issues with 2 browsers instead of 3. Firefox on mac is fast, i'm sure apple programmers could make it faster.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mainstreetmark said:
I don't understand how this would be MS's worst nightmare.
If IE isn't the 800 lb gorilla of browsers that it is now, MS loses a ton of leverage. Firefox allows people to bypass Windows for a number of things and will start to erode the IE-only focus of so many websites, which will help Safari and other browsers as well. Plus, as people can do more and more with their (non-MS) browsers, it would become easier to move to a non-MS OS (they'd have to learn fewer new things than now, as more familiar options would just port over).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.