Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft's Xbox App Now Lets Xbox Users Stream Games to iPhone and iPad

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
Nope. Gone through Netgear, Google Wifi, and now Eero pro. All hardwired too. Input delay will always be annoying.

Steamlink is even worse. Sometimes I end up with a blank screen and it's due to some Windows error that popped up. I would need to walk over to my computer (or remote desktop in) to clear that error and try again.

I would never play multiplayer games over streaming, even when hardwired.

If youre experiencing too much input lag and are close enough, have the controller connected to your pc instead of your ios device. I use a netgear nighthawk with wifi 6, which the latest ipad pros take advantage of. Ive played SW Squadrons, forza horizon, and most recently wow with the magic keyboard with zero issues.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
This is just dumb. First, im pretty sure “the artists who made the game” dont give a crap what your screen size is as long as you bought the game. Second, i play on a 12.9” screen which isnt much smaller than the majority of laptop screens, with an xbox controller.

I bet they do. You might be confusing artist with businesses. And 12.9" would be small for N64. Modern games would look ridiculous.

Reactions: Walrus Man
Comment

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
Cut to 2021:

Microsoft offers service to allow users to store their xbox consoles in a remote, secure location.

On a rack.

Next to millions of others.

Reactions: Walrus Man
Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
It’s not a matter of FPS, but rather input lag. Anyway, still outdated thinking. Xbox game pass had 10 mil subscribers in May, and hit 15 million in September. Their whole philosophy this gen is play on any device you want or have. And the fact things like Google Stadia and Amazon Luna exists too, which can be vulnerable to the same network issues. Heck, even PlayStation Now is streaming. These game developers are putting games on cloud gaming services, so they surely expect it and are fine with it.

I agree, it's not a matter of performance at all. It's all about good gameplay. A game can play well on a TV with a controller or it can play well on a 6 inch touchscreen. It's not going to do both well. Sure, you CAN play it but that doesn't mean people should. The philosophy of playing console games on your phone is fundamentally flawed. It's a marketing pitch not a gaming innovation.

I do think you are confusing the artist and the companies. Look at what happened this weekend with Sega and one of their old developers. Just because a company releases a game doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
If youre experiencing too much input lag and are close enough, have the controller connected to your pc instead of your ios device. I use a netgear nighthawk with wifi 6, which the latest ipad pros take advantage of. Ive played SW Squadrons, forza horizon, and most recently wow with the magic keyboard with zero issues.
kinda defeats the purpose of streaming?

Comment

Z3roFlaw

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
Are you supposed to pair your controller to your iPhone/iPad to use remote? I tried that and i couldn’t navigate the UI. I had to have my console on and my controller connected to the console to use it. Kind of defeats the purpose of remote if I can’t be in another room away from my console.

Comment

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Are you supposed to pair your controller to your iPhone/iPad to use remote? I tried that and i couldn’t navigate the UI. I had to have my console on and my controller connected to the console to use it. Kind of defeats the purpose of remote if I can’t be in another room away from my console.
Odd. My controller was paired with my iPad and it worked flawlessly.

Have you updated the controller firmware? Just an idea...

Comment

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I bet they do. You might be confusing artist with businesses. And 12.9" would be small for N64. Modern games would look ridiculous.

Asked my sister, who's a games graphics artist, if it bothered her how people viewed her work. She laughed.

By the time she's finished on a game working ridiculous hours for weeks without a break, she's normally happy never to see it again in her entire life.

Last edited:
Comment

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
kinda defeats the purpose of streaming?

Depends what your intent is. If you’re like me and just want to be able to play you pc games while laying in bed this works great. If you want to play pc games away from your home then not so much. It’s not perfect, but as someone who has been trying these things out since the original ipad pro was released I can say that in the last year this has finally started to become a reality, at least for me. As for cloud streaming over the internet, I think we’re still a ways off. I’m surprised so many big companies are trying b/c as far as I can tell US ISPs just can’t handle it.

Comment

MBX

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2006
I still find it outrageous and criminal of Apple not allowing game streaming services like Xbox xCloud and Google Stadia or Nvidia GeforceNow on the app store. Isn't this monopoly abuse?

There's no reason why it shouldn't be on the app store other than Apple pushing their own gaming and doesn't want competition.

Comment

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Hold on, Apple needs to review all of the games that can be streamed. I don't feel safe unless only Apple has seen and approved the content!

I hope Apple shuts this down. This bypasses their rightful 30%-since-it-touches-our-platform take.

/s

Reactions: stlredbird
Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Got it paired via Bluetooth for sure? You won’t be able to navigate the iOS/iPad Home Screen, but should be able to navigate the actual Xbox app with it. Your choices are an Xbox controller that connects via Bluetooth (the first gens did not do Bluetooth, but starting with the Xbox One S they did), ps4 DualShock. Xbox elite 1 doesn’t support Bluetooth and Xbox elite 2 support is coming soon.

Xbox Controllers do receive firmware upgrades from the console, so just be sure that’s up to date. On the iOS end, iOS 13 is the only requirement. You should be able to connect since using the Xbox app with a Bluetooth controller is the most common use.

However, some do prefer to have the controller connected directly to the console while streaming it to a phone or tablet. You get less input lag that way and might feel a little smoother. Depending on distance and walls, you may be able to be a room or floor away. My living room is downstairs but I’m able to play in bed with my controller connected to my Xbox directly upstairs in bed (but it’s literally upstairs, straight shot).

Good luck.

Comment

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
It's not a matter of can you play the game with good FPS. It's the question of should you. Playing a game built for a TV and controller on a phone respects neither the artists who made the game or your own time.

I totally get your point, but what I personally am most likely to do on my mobile device is what my friends and I refer to as the “other game” of a game... especially in ubisoft games.

* The inventory management (Division 1 & 2, AC:Orogins/Odyssey)

* The reading back stories or in game researching

* The grinding portions of a game where I don’t need the full TV experience

being able to do this stuff away from my console will allow me to focus my time and better enjoy the “main game” of these games during the valuable and seemingly rare time I have to sit down and play a game for an hour or two.

so, for some games this may enhance the experience some.

just a thought.

Comment

techfreak23

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2013
This means that you can use the Xbox game pass app to download games from game pass to your Xbox, then stream those games from your Xbox to your iPhone in the Xbox app. So much for Apple’s arbitrary rules ... a to b to c instead of a to c, but still gets the job done
It still isn't xCloud, but mostly on technicalities. The main difference here is that you own the console from which you are streaming (also responsible for both sides of the connection), whereas with xCloud, it's a server that is out of your control. You also only control one half of the connection. I guess that makes it more like VNC or TeamViewer rather than a game streaming service. It's honestly a stupid distinction that Apple is making right now.

Reactions: Appleman3546
Comment

iammikeDOTorg

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
There’s a small button of a console and “communication waves” in the top right of the main screen. Hit that instead.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.