microwaved iphone... useless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i hate phones, Jul 18, 2012.

1. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

so... my nephews got into a fight and it ended with one putting the other's iphone in the microwave. I think it was only in for a few seconds but it has a couple cracks and obviously doesn't work. My question is would this have any use to anyone as spare parts? or would they ALL be fried? just wondering if I should chuck it or cheaply list it on craigslist. I would disclose all information i'm not trying to cheat anyone.

2. Givmeabrek, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

He fried the circuits. :(

It's worthless at this point.

With a lot of luck Apple may replace it for a small fee (depending on what you tell them).

Don't tell anybody this, but it's an old trick to microwave an electronic item for a few seconds and claim you don't know why it's not working. You're on your own with this one.....

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

**NVM, I'm a hothead this morning. Need more coffee**

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

When you say "cracks" are we talking like "I dropped it onto concrete" or "it slipped out of my pocket onto carpet and has tiny crack"? Like the previous poster said, try taking it into an Apple store claiming innocence as long as the crack isn't too bad (yes, I know it's dishonest).

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow ... One heck of a fight?

Likely he fried the components on the phone. He might be able to take it to apple and pay a out of Warrqnty replacement fee

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You might need to rethink wether your nephews are mature enough to have iPhones after that :p

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

take it them too Apple it should cost them $199 each and make them pay for the others one way or another. consider it part of there education.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

yeah, my kid does something stupid like that and guess what? We're reconsidering you being able to touch any electronic devices. You have to "earn" it back and you certainly won't see the next generation of iPhone outside of a display model in a store.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Junk... We fry circuits using microwaves as one of our failure mode analysis tools...

10. chokem macrumors 6502

I agree. It's toast, pardon the pun. One of my sons "friends" put his non smartphone in a microwave for about 5 seconds. It wouldn't even power on.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I think if one of my kids did that, there'd be no more phone for him.

His account would be terminated and the early termination fee would come out of his bank account.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

13. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You won't see anything different from any regular iPhone.

As for OP, get them dumbphohes. That will teach em.

14. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

You don't put toast in the microwave.

Well, you don't put bread in the microwave to make toast.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I love the parenting advice here. That's exactly what the OP asked for. Especially because these are a pair of nephews... :rolleyes:

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm curious how old they are. I have friends with nephews in their 30's. :) Do you mind telling us?

18. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Nephews is code word for "I am too embarrassed to admit Atleast one of the kids is my son."

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

...I'm guessing pre-teen.

20. i hate phones, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

i hate phones thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL.. they really are my nephews, so i have no say in the consequences, i'm just the one in the family who gets asked to sell their old stuff, and well i wasn't really sure what to do with this one :p they are 10 and 12. I believe the fight came to a showdown with each holding a valuable of the others hostage... the 12yr old put the 10yr old's iphone in the microwave and said he'd turn it on if he harmed whatever he had taken (not sure what the other valuable was)... 10 yr old proceeded to do damage and on went the microwave :rolleyes: My sister was upstairs at the time and said you would have thought someone had died by the 10 yr olds reaction. i think he's using an old 3gs as a replacement until he can upgrade. i think they looked into getting a replacement but decided to wait. the kids are splitting the cost of the new phone.

wasn't really selling it for the money, just didn't want to waste something that could possibly have any use to someone, but i guess in the trash it will go.

the phone doesn't look all that intersting or i'd post a pic. its not smashed looking or anything just has a few single line cracks, which im not entirely sure was caused by the microwave? not sure how microwaving a phone works :confused:

21. Surfin10 macrumors member

10 year old have iPhones now :confused:
    ... I was 16 when I got a Nokia brick and it was for emergency use only.

But anyways, I agree with the above posts, take it to the Apple Store and see what happens. As for now, yes it's useless.

22. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I was 16 when I got my big blue Nokia too...

...But to be fair, that was about when cell phones just started to become commonplace (I believe it was 1999 or 2000). If I were 10 or 15 years younger, I might have had an iPhone by the time I was 12 or 13 too. I don't really know.

23. i hate phones thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i think its crazy too... i didn't get my first phone til my senior year in college and never had a pager (LOL) when all my friends had them in high school. but times are changing i guess, a bunch of their friends have iphones or androids (so long as the families can afford them)

24. Surfin10 macrumors member

Oh yeah, I agree with the cell phone part. I know it would have made my life MUCH easier if I had one back then.
    I guess I just don't get the iPhone part... I don't have kids yet, that I know of :p - but I couldn't imagine giving a 10 year old a $200 phone (after new plan rebates) and then paying a monthly data charge, txt's and apps so they can play... But if you can afford it, why not I guess. Not my lifestyle but to each their own.

Anyways, completely off-topic and didn't mean to start a circle-jerk :D
    Hope the OP finds some use for the fried phone!

25. i hate phones thread starter macrumors 6502a

I totally see what you're saying, i don't have kids, nor the money to afford expensive gadgets for them. With the amount I baby my iphone its hard to see little kids carelessly running around with them but that's probably more a money thing for me, if mine breaks i'm screwed. how you teach your kids to value things when money isn't an issue is another story...

what's funny though is most people wouldn't look twice at a little kid running around with a dumb phone and a Nintendo DS or PSP... kinda the same thing isn't it? one gadget vs 2. pricing is similar when you offset the data fees vs more expensive games for the ds and psp...