Mid 2007 Macbook to Late 2008 Aluminium Unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abstraction, Sep 17, 2010.

1. abstraction macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just wondering whether you'd consider the following to be an upgrade? Currently I'm on a mid-2007 white MacBook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, internal graphics etc, and I've managed to find, at a reasonable price, a late 2008 Aluminium Unibody MacBook 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAM (expandable to 4GB), NVidia graphics and so on. I'm wondering whether gaining the dedicated graphics will offset the slight loss of processing power? I'd only be looking at about £100 if I sold my current Mac.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The GPU is not dedicated in the 2008 MB, but it is a lot better than the Intel IGP. If you use Firewire, the 2008 MB is a downgrade though.

You can also upgrade the 2007 MB up to 3GB.

3. abstraction thread starter macrumors newbie

I never use Firewire... in fact I don't think I have any Firewire devices at all!
    Do you think that I'd see much of an increase in performance, or would it be marginal at best?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depends on your use. If it is GPU intensive, you will see a boost. If it is just writing text or numbers and browsing the web or any other not GPU related stuff, the increase is marginal.