Mid 2010 MBP SSD upgrade, clean install HS

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Ryanmrash, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Tl;dr: Anyone have a write up for doing a clean install of High Sierra onto a virgin SSD for a mid-2010 MBP?

Trying to squeeze a couple more years out of my mid-2010 MBP. I just successfully installed a new wireless card and Continuity Activation Tool. With that working properly the next step is an SSD.

I’ve been reading ad-nauseum and coming across a lot of conflicting information. At this point I’m lost as to the proper method. I’d prefer a clean install over a time machine backup due to a lot of junk left over from various things.

Can an install be done using internet recovery? This seems to be the simplest way, and I’ve read instructions to do so, but I’ve also read it’s not possible since this is a pre-Lion machine.

I could do a bootable USB, but there’s confusion there too about formatting (HFS+ vs APFS). I’ve read to install Sierra first, then upgrade to HS. ???? This has to do with HS not recognizing some SSD drives?

Can anybody tell me what’s current and what info is old and outdated?

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

3. Ryanmrash thread starter macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

I hope it’s as smooth as it is simple. Thank you.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

If you buy a SATA > USB enclosure or cable for the new SSD, you should be able to run the HS installer app from your Mac when booted off the current hard drive, and select the SSD as destination once it's formatted. You don't need to worry about the USB or patcher tool in that case (though I find USB installers invaluable).

5. Ryanmrash thread starter macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Yes I looked at that as well...Was my backup plan if I couldn’t find another method. May still use it.

6. Ryanmrash thread starter macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Install successful, currently migrating the important stuff. Went really easy. Thanks again!