Mid 2012 Non-Retina Showing signs of age

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Asiandude123, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Asiandude123 macrumors newbie

Asiandude123

So my mid 2012 MacBook pro has served up me very well for 5 years. And it is starting to show some signs of age.
    Other than the fact that this thing now gets mid 50s (55~60) on idle, the battery is shot, the keyboard is shot, and the display looks very poor compared to other computers.
    Should I get a new one?

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

Hopefully the keyboard is not failing because the battery is expanding into it.

Your options are to get a new battery and keyboard and replace them yourself. Or pay Apple, several hundred to replace the top case assembly (battery, trackpad, keyboard, etc).

You can decide if you want to throw that sort of money into the machine or pay for a new one.

3. Asiandude123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Asiandude123

What battery would you recommend for replacing other than the OEM one? I think I am going to stick with my current MacBook Pro.

And what about the temps? 50 degrees on idle doesn't seem that normal. I fully removed the motherboard, wiped all the dust, inserted new thermal paste about a year ago.

4. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

You can download coconut battery and see what is the battery health...Also what is the temperature when you're using Safari, Office etc. ?