Mid-2014 MacBook Pro laggy with 4k monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmee, Sep 16, 2014.

1. macmee, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

macmee Suspended

macmee

I have a mid 2014 MacBook with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and my 4k monitor works with 60hz, but there's noticeable mouse lag. Does anyone know what gives? It's using DisplayPort 1.2.

edit: Lag went away when I updated to 10.10 - great!

2. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

What display is it? Did you do SMC / PRAM reset?
    Is display usiNG MST?

3. macmee, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I haven't tried a PRAM reset, what can this do to fix it (genuinely interested in learning how they're related)

Also what's interesting is that on 30hz, it works with no lag, just lagging on 60hz (edit: nope, actually just as bad on 30hz).

I have this monitor: http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB287Q/ I believe it supports MST, I put it in DisplayPort 1.2 mode and in ScreenResX it shows up with a 2 by it, so I'm fairly sure it's working.

4. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

If I set the monitor to "best for display" the lag goes away, but then everything on the screen is tiny.

5. zjazz macrumors 6502

This monitor looks great! And while I was scrolling for more info at one moment I thought I'm on apple website! :cool: Asus copied and adapted the style nicely

6. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Given the lag I am experiencing I can't say I recommend the monitor, although I do agree, its website looks great!

7. jmelick07 macrumors member

I'm experiencing basically the same issue with a lenovo pro2840m...

8. macmee, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Perhaps in the new version of OS X this will be fixed :(

edit: yep! Lag went away in 10.10, thank you Apple :)

9. JonHyeKnudsen macrumors newbie

How exactly is everything hooked up?

Hi macmee

I'm looking into buying the new 15" Retina MacBook Pro with the Nvidia 750M Graphics. I am also looking into the CB280HK monitor from Acer, which is a 4K monitor.
    I'd love to run the monitor at actual 4K resolution in 60Hz with a mini-displayport cable from the MacBook.

Apart from your monitor being an Asus..... is the above what you have going on? Are you experiencing any trouble any more? I read somewhere else, that someone was experiencing their MacBook running VERY hot when doing something similar.

Thanks.

10. DiegoFrancisco macrumors member

Does anyone have experience running a 4k monitor on the 15" MBP without a discrete GPU? I'd love to know how Iris Pro handles 4k, thinking about picking up a MBP soon. Thanks!

11. andy.45, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

andy.45 macrumors newbie

2014 MBP 15" 2.8 Ghz NVidia to 2) external displays

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a new MBP Retina 15" 2.8 Ghz Nvidia this December 2014. I would go for the best option in this purchase so that I could make it work best with 2 external displays. I have researched and I keep landing on the PB287Q.

Can anyone please comment on both what that MBP is capable of and if you would recommend buying 2) PB287Q's or if I am looking in the wrong direction with this.

Thank you!