Mid 2015 15" base model freezes after watching youtube videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustang07, Nov 10, 2015.

1. mustang07 macrumors newbie

Mid-2015 15" base model, only app i've installed is office. Every 2 days or so, it freezes after watching youtube videos. It's the only thing that triggers it.

The laptop becomes unresponsive. I'm unable to close safari, when the system eventually recovers, and I reopen safari, it starts to lag, and eventually becomes unresponsive again.

I'm then forced to shut it down with the power button. When it restarts, everything is fine again.

In one event, the freeze was so bad, that the force touch trackpad became unresponsive too. It wouldn't click.

I want to take it in, but I can't replicate the issue at will. Also, I don't know if the system creates any troubleshooting reports from the event, that they can look up. The laptop works perfectly when it's not freezing up.

On my PC, whenever a freeze would occur, the task manager would show near 100% CPU and disk levels.

I had the Mac Activity Monitor opened once when a freeze occurred, the CPU levels looked normal. idle % above 95%, which I thought was weird.

Any suggestions?

2. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

My early 2015 13" base model has suffered twice from complete froze down - the force trackpad didn't click. I was using safari on both times when it happened, can't remember if it was youtube or not.

These things happen I suppose

3. hashholly macrumors 6502

Any chance you have adblock installed as a safari extension?

4. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

I don't know about the OP, but I have it installed. Could that be the problem?

5. hashholly macrumors 6502

Yep. Im not sure what it is with safari and the adblock extension but i've had nothing but oddball freezes with it regardless of machine, and I've also seen other people mention it as the issue with random safari freezes as well.

6. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't added any extensions to safari, and I'm not familiar with adblock.

Like I said in my original post, only thing i've installed is Office.

Another data point: when the freeze occurs, it's usually after I exit full Screen mode on youtube.

7. hashholly macrumors 6502

Can you install chrome and see if you have the same issues with youtube?

8. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed chrome earlier today. I'll exclusively use it for youtube, and we'll see what happens in the next few days.