Middle School Girl gets into trouble multiple times over Facebook posts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Mar 10, 2012.

1. quagmire, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A girl in middle school got into trouble multiple times at school over her posts on Facebook. What she wrote wasn't even that bad. She posted about the hall monitor saying that the person was mean. Some how the school found out about it and forced her to apologize to the hall monitor and got detention. She then went on Facebook again and asked who told on her using a expletive which the school found out again and suspended her.

What really gets me is a parent of another kid saw that this girl was talking about sex on Facebook and calls the school over it. First of all, the parent calls the school and not the girls parents? Are parents this lazy that they want the schools to deal with their kids instead of themselves? Secondly, as a result supposedly the school pressured her into giving out her Facebook password.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/10/us/minnesota-student-privacy/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I agree you shouldn't be saying bad things about school staff. But making such a scene out of it seems an over-reaction from the school.

And as for swearing at Facebook, that's something the parents should fix, not so much the school. But, who are we kidding, for some reasons school principals always feel entitled to use power over their students. I guess it is some kind of "they did it to me, I'll do it to them".

Anyways, the amount of cases like this that happens in the US is kind of crazy. For the police to open an investigation for something like this goes to show how it seems everything needs or can be solved with a lawsuit. When what should happen is the parents talking with the school should fix it.

Also, somehow this sounds as an exaggeration:

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It is NONE of the school's business what she does outside of school. NONE! A lawsuit is the correct approach, perhaps the school will not be so quick to interfere on the pupils' private lives after getting their wrists slapped.

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

But the only thing she said that she was mean. If that is an offense that warrants detention than everyone on ratemyprofessors.com deserves to be punished because they say that their teachers sucks and can't teach, etc.

If she went, " **** that Mrs. Smith that ****ing bitch, I hope she dies that whore" than I would agree that is something to warrant a talking to, etc. But, by saying that person was mean? That deserves a detention and an apology?

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I don't entirely agree that it is none of their business. I agree that swearing outside school and making a deal about it is over-reacting, but the school do needs to keep track of their students.

Either to help them if they need it, or to try and solve eventual problems. At my school, in 6-7th grade, some guys were found to have gotten drunk in the weekend. The school found out, contacted the parents, some kind of detention was given to them. End of story. Parents talked with school, school talked with parents, both tolled with the kids.

But somehow now it seems that lawsuits are more common that they should be.

----------

From my memories at school detentions were kind of fun.:p And making an apology isn't that bad.

I don't know exactly what else happened, and how it happened. But how this ended in a lawsuit do perplexes me.

6. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

It isn't that bad, but saying a person is mean on Facebook is enough to make her apologize? Maybe if she said it to the persons face, etc fine. But, it was on Facebook for crying out loud

I would say making her give the officials her Facebook password without her parents consent is enough to warrant a lawsuit.....

7. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

What is a "deputy sheriff"? From the government? If it is someone from the police then it does sound strange that he got involved in the first place.

And I don't know, it might be these guys from the school were actual *******s. But, I really have a difficult time imagining that they "forced, intimidated and humiliated" the girl into giving them the password. Have the school accepted they asked for the password? Or is it only what the lawsuit says?

8. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Sounds like they accepted it.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm sorry, but kids have got a right to an opinion too. It doesn't sound like the girl who posted was abusive, she just proffered the opinion that the hall monitor was mean. And if I were here, I'd wanna know who tried to get me in trouble over it as well.

The school needs to keep their damned nose out of it.

Same goes for the girl talking about sex.

I agree, this requires a policy change on the school's part. If not...lawsuit.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Puzzled

I'm rather puzzled by the school's actions. The traditional school authority, "in loco parentis", usually applies from when a child leaves home to go to school until they get home. What you do in your own house is normally the parents' problem, not the school's. Saying something (that is not a threat) on your non-public wall using your home system seems pretty far from the school's authority. And, even further from the Sheriff's authority!?!? In fact, this seems pretty close to a "thoughtcrime".

11. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Kids should have the right to their opinion, just as adults do. And, they should face the consequences of their public statements, just as adults do. It's a great life lesson this girl is learning.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What lesson would that be, don't speak your mind or the authorities will punish you? Don't talk about sex... at all?

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Life lesson? Oh, you mean like when I criticized Rush Limbaugh in the other thread and he sent the Premiere Radio Thought Police to roust me.

Oh wait, that didn't happen.

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I hope she is gonna win the lawsuit, the school deserves it for putting their nose into things that are none of their business.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Maybe for you and the good thing is it doesn't have to exist in your sphere. For others (and I'll include myself in here) it is fantastic medium to keep in touch with others and find out new things. Like so many other mediums you only get out of it what you put in. GIGO.

17. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I like keeping in touch with the part of the family that lives in Australia. You know, since actually seeing them gets a bit difficult.

But hey, I realize that I'm the scum of society.

(Point being, likening Facebook, even with all it's annoyances, to some kind of lowest common denominator is very short-sighted. It's like saying every woman must be like Snooki since they're wearing mascara.)

18. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Everybody that wants to pretend that what you say online can't impact your real life, good luck with that.

19. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

It can, but are we saying this is a case of something that needs punishment or consequences? Is it the schools business because the girl was talking about sex on Facebook? Was saying a hall monitor was mean really a punishable offense? Was it really appropriate for the school to obtain her Facebook password?

Yes we get it is fair for employers to reject someone by looking through their Facebook seeing pictures of them drinking, etc. But, if the person has their profile locked down to where only friends can see it, asking for the password is inappropriate.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The only lesson to be learned here is that adults of questionable intelligence in authoritative positions believe it's okay to bully children. Asking for anyone's password isn't okay. Punishing someone over an opinion is beyond stupid. If I said you were "mean", would you care? When you were a kid, if someone randomly called you mean, would it have bothered you? It's not something that carries a lot of weight. The kid was just venting in an accepted manner amongst kids.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I understand what you're saying. I really do. I'm just old-fashioned. If I want to keep in touch with friends and family I simply send them email.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

All the social networking sites are a two edged sword.

I use both Twitter, and Facebook, plus the Dutch site Hyves. The ease with which you can keep in touch with various friends and family, from around the world is simply stunning.

Children and young adults are mostly just to open about their personal life, this when the sites become a problem. The other point is that nothing is ever truly deleted on the internet. This first cyber/social group is find that out to their cost. Employers regularly look up prospective new employees, some times with dire effects.

But with stories like this becoming more common, the next generation is going to be more cagey about given out opinions and information.

23. Andeavor macrumors 6502

First world problems... :rolleyes:

The school overreacted but the girl should still know that whatever you put on the internet (FaceBook, Twitter, Blog, etc.) can have its consequences. I don't know about today's curriculums but maybe there should be a class to address those things and allow both the school and the students to find common ground on what to post online.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Again it's not like she posted anything that bad. Say you posted on facebook that your boss was mean, forgetting that he/she is also a facebook friend. They're likely to just shrug it off. It holds little weight. One of my issues here is that it seems like facebook posts are being taken more seriously than spoken words.

25. Andeavor macrumors 6502

See, the problem is that she spoke out against someone behind their back, and since FaceBook is considered an extension of the social circle of school/college/the workplace (which it was originally intended for, btw) one has to expect that some might take it the wrong way.

The last school/college I went to our teachers specifically warned us about sites like Myspace and FaceBook and what we put on there pictorial or in text. It's well known that employers will look up their staff on those sites and if they find anything they don't like it's reason enough to fire them. The same goes for teachers looking up students.

I know it's ridiculous, but kids and adults have to understand that the internet is not a parallel universe where you can post anything without consequence, that's why we have to be conscious about everything we put out there - just look at all the viral photos and videos that make the daily news world wide.