Middle School Shooting - Reno/Sparks, Nevada

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

When is enough enough?

It already sickens me to to extent that someone's parent, child, and grandchild won't be coming home today.. with possibly two others at high risk of losing their lives as well. This really hits close to home for me, because it is less than an hour's drive from where I live.

But let me guess: "bad guys with guns vs. good guys with guns.." :confused: :rolleyes:

BL.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...st-2-dead-2-wounded-in-nevada-school-shooting

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/21/5839069/police-report-of-shooting-at-nevada.html

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Local news up here in Sacramento and in Las Vegas have just reported that the police have stated that teacher who was killed put him/herself in the shooter's way to protect the other children.

Scarily shades familiar to Sandy Hook. I just can't imagine.. I really can't. :(

I know what you are getting at; it could have been a LOT worse.. but still, even two isn't jusification or rationalization enough..

BL.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

A long time ago for most sane people. The gun nuts will just come in and say this would have been better if the teacher had been armed and we had a shootout in the middle of a classroom filled with kids.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Clearly we should have armed the students, that would solve the problem.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And yet whenever the topic of education reform is brought up the teachers are always the first ones to get bashed that they're paid too much, don't care, whatever.

People need to remember events like this, the teachers who gave their lives at Sandy Hook protecting their kids, the teachers that threw themselves on top of kids to protect them when that tornado hit those two schools in Oklahoma, and countless other times where teachers have willfully put their lives in danger/sacrificed their lives to try to save kids they aren't even related to before they go and bash teachers next time.

8. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Really?!?
    Couldn't even wait for the blood to dry before making anti-gun comments?

Sometimes I think the anti-gun crowd secretly wishes for these types of events just to advance their cause.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm going to get torn to shreds for this, but in all honesty: I wish there were an event like this big and tragic enough for people to finally take real action; because IMO, it seems like that will have to be what it takes, sadly. :(

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If the shootings that have gone on year after year have not been enough, it's hard to imagine what single event would compel the American people to take action.

But you don't have to wish for a shooting tragedy, just like you don't have to wish for a sunrise.

Just wait a bit.

One's bound to come around.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think we'll gay marriage in Alabama before the gun lobby will weaken. We better get used to the Wild West.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As awful as it may be, whatever it takes will be worth it.

13. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

This is SO wrong. Guns should be banned already. There is literally no justification for owing one. I am sick of people trying to justifying owning them. And if you do own one make sure your son/daughter can't take it to school. PS everyone in my family has lived without ever holding a gun so don't say you need it for protection. My family left RUSSIA during the revolution without a gun and they were fine. Invest in some large flood lights around your house to keep intruders away.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Mandatory GUN SAFTEY* education FOR ALL (similar to drivers safety).

AND

Mental health evaluations as part of program.

(*does not include shooting, just who to call, proper handling, and how to render safe by unloading and even dismantling if the person needs to.)

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Mandatory 20 years for the owner if a minor obtains a weapon that was not properly stored and kills someone.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Clearly the teachers and students should all have been armed to defend themselves right :rolleyes:

(sarcasm btw)

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about hunting? Vermin control? Shooting for sport?

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The blood will never dry. There are too many guns and apologists owning them.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The saddest comment on this event.

Last night it didn't even make the news here. When asked by some viewers why, the head manager of News for the Netherlands TV said " It has become a far too common occurrence to be news worthy, plus there was only two dead.":(

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You got your wish already, but, it didn't work. (Sandy Hook.) The only thing that will work is a much broader initiative to control the unholy power of corporate lobbying and political power.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Shooting for sport should be banned. Unless the sport is shooting discs, etc. Not killing animals for fun.

22. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I actually disagree here. (Which is rare, considering that I absolutely abhor guns). Animal hunting provides much needed animal population controls. Especially deer - at least around here.

23. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I thought Sandy Hook was already that kind of event. But yes, seems 10-times of SH it need to be. Or some kids of the leading class (R or D) impacted.

"... When will they ever learn ?"

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

But you talk about a profession, a real hunter or ranger doesn't kill for sports, competition or fun but out of necessity.