Might a recommend a monitor? Any Dell 2209WA users?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pcguru83, May 2, 2009.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I just got my new monitor yesterday, and I'm so impressed with it, I must share with my other Mac brethren.

First of all, as many know, most LCD hardware manufacturers (Apple included with regards to the 20" iMac) now virtually exclusively use the greatly inferior TN panels in their displays. TN panels are inferior for a number of reason, including horrible color uniformity from top to bottom (especially bad in todays larger screens), terrible viewing angles, and inferior color reproduction due to using 6-bit color panels (primarily).

For several years now, if one wanted to avoid these TN panels, you had to be willing to spend some cash. The most obvious option for the Mac faithful had been the Apple Cinema Displays. While pricey, it's for good reason--they all used S-IPS panels. This IPS technology is the most advanced LCD technology in use today, and provides great viewing angles, great color uniformity, and great color accuracy (largely due to these being 8-bit displays). But these features quite literally come at a price.

The second option was to play the "panel lottery" with a manufacturer such as Dell. Even this option isn't very viable today, as Dell has gone virtually exclusively to PVA/MVA panels. While not nearly as bad a TN, PVA/MVA panels have horrible input lag, and the viewing angles are not quite as good as those with IPS. Still, a huge improvement over TN panels.

The third option would be to spend some serious money on a display from a manufacturer who is known for their high quality panels, namely Eizo and NEC. These displays though can cost upwards of $1,000.

Well, I'm happy to say that there is now an affordable alternative to TN panels...the Dell 2209WA. This panel uses a new LCD technology based on IPS called e-IPS (the "e" stands for economy I believe). Panel manufacturers have found a way to more cheaply produce a similar quality panel as an S-IPS, but at a fraction of the price. This 2209WA is the first and only panel of this type available in the US at this time.

Prior to purchasing my unibody Macbook, I had a Mini with Apple Cinema Display setup that I was using. I sold both of these to make the switch to a laptop. Coming from a prior ACD user, I can attest that the quality of this display is most definitely on par with that of my 20" Aluminum ACD.

If you've been on the fence looking for a quality monitor in today's sea of inferior panels, this is your answer. And the best part? They can be had from Dell Small Business for $212 with free shipping. I believe that might have expired at the first of May, but they are currently listed on their site at $219. This is an unbelievable deal for such a high-quality display.

The only downside to this monitor is it's size/resolution. This is a 16:10 22" monitor that runs at 1680 x 1050. While I'd like a little more screen real estate, I'll willingly sacrifice that at this point for a higher quality panel.

Seriously, this is an awesome monitor. Go get one now. I wish I could have afforded two. :)

2. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

OK, that was weird, I thought I posted this is Community Discussion? Yet, I don't see the typical "moved" icon next to it. Weird. I posted it there (I thought) because this wasn't about an Apple product. But hey, I guess this works too. :)

Mods, was this thread moved? Or am I losing my mind (entirely possible)? :)

3. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Well how about that. I guess I got a little caught up in my excitement. :p

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea, probably the best price/performance 22" LCD monitor out there right now (at least in the US). I'd get one for home but opted for a bigger screen (28", but inferior TN panel which is ok for my uses I suppose).

6. maschinetheist macrumors newbie

maschinetheist

The 22" Dell LCDs are amazing. The only thing that would really rock would be upping the resolution to something like 1920x1200 or whatever. Plus they swivel!

7. BMWFan macrumors regular

8. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I have this monitor and I am very happy with it.

The only concern I have is the colour of the blacks sometimes if I am not sitting right in front of the screen.

9. QKP macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have the dell 2209wa (it's good but has it's flaws). I run it on a PC as it looks better on my PC than my PowerMac G5. On the G5 text look terrible, jagged and blocky, like it's very low res. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? I am now looking for a different 22"/23" monitor for my mac but don't want to get another one without being sure I wont have the same problem.

Thanks.

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I haven't any issues with the text on my 2209. I'm running it on a C2D Mini, and it has been running just fine.

I have been reading some other monitor threads around here, and I have been doing some observations. Everyone talked about how much better the IPS panel was, and argued the merits of the Dell vs. the Apple displays. To be honest, I haven't seen that much difference. Yes, I have been very happy with my 2209 monitor, and it is far superior to my 5 year old 19" model. To be honest, though, I just don't see that big a difference between the Dell, Apple, and other non-bargain bin displays. Maybe I'm not using my monitor for the jobs to notice or something. The main thing I like about the Dell is that it is so flexible. It has USB ports, and adjusts vertically, rotates, and tilts.

11. QKP macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Steve2112.

I agree, there's not much in the difference between the better ones I think. although my 2209wa does suffer from the problem that most seem to which is slight colour shift from left to right and slight darkening of bottom edges.

This is pretty annoying I must say, for a monitor that is otherwise very nice (although I find the blacks a tiny bit crushed). Fact is it doesn't affect any work I do really (graphics and video editing) but it still catches my eye and gets my irritated. Fact is we buy this monitor for the fact it is not TN with poor viewing angles (and I must say the viewing angles on the 2209wa are very good) so to still get some type of interruption in colour uniformity is doubly annoying.

know what I mean??!

C2D Mini and 2209WA ?