Might be buying a new Macbook Pro for a home office.Right choice? what else i need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by opencube, Feb 13, 2009.

1. opencube macrumors member

I have begun to work from my home office, and been looking to get a Macbook Pro as it

a) Allows me to use both XP and OSX and associated software.
    b) Allows me to take it out of the home office if required for meetings

However, i have always worked on a tower based system so, prefer a larger screen to work from.

I presume it is fine to hook up an external monitor and keyboard/keyboard to the Macbook Pro?

Any of you guys work this way, if so what do you recommend for the keyboard/mouse solution?

I presume Adobe CS software works ok in both xp and osx on these machines?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

These machines are basically designed for the Adobe CS suites, however you know the Mac CS suite wont run on Windows and vice versa? They run the same, but you'll have to buy them seperately. And yes to answer all your other questions, external screen etc.

Note: Some Samsung external screens wont work, but other than that your fine.

Once you've used the integrated Keyboard and Multi Touch Mouse you wont want to use external ones.

3. opencube thread starter macrumors member

really which ones? and why?

Ha, yeah i may just use the macbook keyboard so i can utilise dual screen i presume this is possible too?

I dont like the look of the Mighty Mouse... what other bluetooth mouse do you recommend?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The mighty mouse will give you hell, its so user unfriendly, and completely not ergonomic, your right there, however the best mice are made by Logitech, i can honestly say any of their bluetooth mice are great and im sure most of the people here would agree.
    Saying that, once you get used to the multitouch, you wont use an external mouse, guarunteed, ask most of the people here and they'll say the same thing, you'll wonder how you ever lived without the multitouch trackpad.

Screens, just stay away from Samsung, get an Apple ACD or Dell.

5. opencube thread starter macrumors member

hmmm was planning on getting a samsung as had one in the past which has been good to me.

Ive seen some deals on an Iiyama recently may look into that..

but why not samsung?

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Not really. For example, everytime I work with photoshop CS4 on my MBP I plug in a mouse. CS4 does this smart thing where rotating on the trackpad rotates the image. And it's not "undo"-able. Therefore it's too risky for me as I might accidentally rotate every time I do something (I'm an old-school-trackpad kind of guy... I place my thumb constantly at the bottom of the pad and click, as I used to do with my old MBP

7. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I'm doing the same thing you are. Except I'm Switching to Mac after years of windows use. The home office. Now all I need is a Job!
    Its relatively easy to set up my second monitor, keyboard and mouse. As others have already said, just get a Logitech mouse, get an apple keyboard. Maybe something like this to set your laptop on for dual monitors.

If you have a windows version of CS you can contact Adobe and switch to a Mac license. You will need to upgrade to CS4 though.

Personally, I don't care how sweet the trackpad is on the MBP, it wont replace a mouse for me.

That's what I'm doing now as I sit around waiting for apple to get off there butts and ship the 17" MBP's.

8. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

10. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Undo-able? Doesn't it return to where you started if you keep rotating?