Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Montreal
A friend of mine agreed for a trade for my MacBook (2.1,120G,4G,refurb,white, still 1 month left warranty, applecare available) for his Unibook (2.0, 160G,2G, non-refurb, idk about warranty, bought around the time that unibooks came out) with $300 on my part. Tomorrow he is letting me take his MB home and check everything out before I give mine over with cash because I really don't know if I want to switch. I'll find out tomorrow.

But what should I check for? I know all the obvious ones like check all the ports work, etc, but for example, if I want to know if there is still warranty.. what do I do? Who do I call? Did the unibooks even come out less than a year ago? How do I find out this wasn't stolen off the back of a truck?!

Thanks

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Good thinking. The first thing I'd do would be to ask your friend when and where he got it, and if he purchased the 3 year Applecare Warranty with it. A purchase receipt would answer some of your questions. The seller is responsible for transferring any existing warranty over to you. If your friend got the notebook from someone else, then ask him to find out the information you are looking for.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Did the unibooks even come out less than a year ago?

The Aluminum MacBook release date was October 14, 2008 so you have at least 6 weeks of warranty left.

You may want to look at battery cycles and see if you get good battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.