Might get an Ipad 2 by the end of November - Is it still worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macnewbbie, Oct 2, 2011.

1. macnewbbie macrumors regular

Hi.
    I have been saving up and i will have the amount needed for an ipad by the end of November but my question is : will it still be worth it by that time?
    The new ipad will probably come out in April i think and to be honest i can make an effort and wait if the possible changes to it are worth it, i mean it would be usefull now to take notes, pdfs, ebooks and watching movies,etc but i have survived with out i can wait.
    I will also be saving for a ps3 but the plan was to start saving for it after the ipad because i do have an old ps2 and psp and don't play it much so i think its something it could wait but if by the end of November i would be better of waiting i think i could try and wait.

What do you think? By the end of November is the ipad 2 and it's hardware worth getting or i should wait some more months and get the new one?
    Also for ipad 2 owners, i have tried it on stores and the ones i tried seemed a little slow and i noticed that by opening and leaving apps. Is that the normal speed or the one on the store is probably not updated or has the memory full?

2. matt90036 macrumors regular

the new release of iPad2 was with a lot of quality control issues. there was a thread of 22 pages or so with screen problems and others. those problems have been worked out right now and the iPads are in pristine quality. if you don't mind poor built quality then by all means get the first release batch. if you are like me, "a perfectionist" then go ahead and buy iPad2 right now and buy iPad 3 a year from now.

3. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

But the ones on stores now don't have that issues right? Also that can also means that similar situation(problems) might be more prone to happen with the next ipad first, so i would probably be better waiting even more time for them to be solved?
    But the ipad 2 will still be a good tablet right? Because i don't know if i would be able to replace it next year, i would like to have it and have it for a long time.
    The other thing is that my laptop is not in the best condition, still working but the ipad would pick up a slack of it a bit, especially in terms of portability.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get one and if u feel the need to upgrade to a new one, sell and save more dough and get it.

5. Signor S. macrumors member

Technology will improve no matter how long you wait. If you buy a computer, car, etc. it will depreciate in value as soon as you buy it. We all live with this in our daily lives. Buy an iPad 2 and enjoy it! Sure the iPad 3 is right around the corner, but if the 2 does what you want than by all means buy it.

If I were in your shoes though, I would wait until April to see what Apple announces. If the iPad 3 blows your mind away than you can buy that, otherwise you can buy the iPad 2 since they will be discounted heavily in place of the 3 coming in. This is my opinion though and not yours so good luck with your decision!

6. TLewis macrumors 65816

We bought iPad2s in June and August, and both are fine -- they look and work great.

However, before buying one, you really need to decide if the iPad2 can do everything you need it to do, and keep in mind that you may have to buy apps to do various things. While it's great for (most) web surfing, email, chat/messaging, telephony (talkatone or skype), ebooks/PDFs, and movies, note-taking can be a problem. Short notes are fine, but the on-screen keyboard can be tedious if you have to take lots of notes or write long essays/reports. The tiny Apple bluetooth keyboard works well for note-taking, but that's another piece of gear that you have to haul around (and another expense). Also, while there are (paid) apps that allow you to take notes via handwriting, none are really perfect -- they all have various pros and cons, even with a stylus (and yes, I have tried various styli, such as the Jot at Kickstarter).

7. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

low ball someone on craigslist for an ipad 1 or 2..... dont buy brand new if you dont really need too....

8. DaBlackMamba macrumors member

I've had an iPad since it began, currently have the first and second one. I don't think it's really worth waiting.

I'd go ahead and by the iPad 2. You'd be waiting till around April for a new generation iPad.

9. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for answers and opinions.
    I think the ipad 2 does what i want right now but my concern is the possible new processor and if that would make a big difference, as well as the rumored retina display.
    For taking notes i was thinking to do it using a stylus for handwriting notes. Is not practical for that? I also seen bigger keyboards built in cases so it is an alternative but i dont think i would type that much that i needed one.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I was planning to wait for the ipad 2 last year but couldn't take the waiting and bought a refurb ipad 1 for about $400 from Apple at Christmas 2010. It was well worth it-- I had it for 5 or 6 months before I could have gotten an ipad 2, and the increased specs make no difference to my day to day use. I say yes-- get it-- and get a refurb if you can.

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

A stylus on the iPad feels a lot like using a crayon, even with a stylus like the Adonis Jot. This isn't bad, and it certainly works, but don't expect notetaking on the iPad to be anything like pen and paper. For apps, check out Notes Plus (might be overall best, but not perfect) or Penultimate (good basic bargain, but no typed notes).

12. HailApple macrumors newbie

I'm overly enjoying my iPad nad iPad2. Even my iPad2 constantly had rear camera problem which Apple had exchanged a new one for me for the second time!! I get my Blackberry Storm to take photos now. Other then that, I strongly recommend you get one.
    For me, I won't step out the door without it in my backpack, I can't think up crap without it in meetings. You think that's bad, right?? It get worse. I just found a site specifically designed for iPad to watch TV shows. www.streamingtvforipad.com Quite good A/V quality even watching over 3G network. Now, I get constipated without it while taking dumps.:p

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

If you have videos stored on a PC or mac, airvideo ($2.99) works well. It supports the iPad's native resolution, but requires that you install free server software on the PC/mac (which has to be turned on in order to watch videos). Although you can supposedly use it to stream video on the internet, I think it works best over your home's wifi.

14. JSalig macrumors 6502

I think it's still worth it. I'd be tempted to wait for the iPad 3 in April but as today proved, there is no guarantee that the wait will be worth it. Or that it'll even be out in April. There seem to be new precedents being set. Just my feeling.

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

YES GO FOR IT

It's amazing for me still....great for watching sky for those in the UK

You can watch all the football when the other half watches her crap.

16. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers and help so far! :D
    I have decided and im indeed going to get it november. Seems to be still a good device and it will be for the next years i think.
    It is tempting to wait and to be honest for me it would be more for the possible processor upgrade but the wait can be also a bad move since its a long time and it might be a dissapointing change like it was for me the iphone 4S (i was expecting them to introduce a new design)

17. Type X macrumors regular

My fiance JUST won one this weekend & it is LEAPS & BOUNDS better than our ipad1 , definitely pick it up!

18. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

iPad 2 is dual-core and suited just fine for iOS 5, so there is no reason to wait. Start enjoying it now :)

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Even when the next ipad comes out the ipad 2 will still be a great buy.

and nobody knows when the next ipad is out...IOS 5 really makes the ipad 2 even better...when IOS 5 is on it you will see a great difference.

20. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have iPad 1, my wife has iPad 2, it is significantly faster, a good buy, and refurbs are available on line:cool:

21. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

What are we going to see? Snappier performance?

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

you mean for the next ipad?

23. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

I tried again an ipad 2 in a store today and found it to have a little lag opening apps, maybe its just the way it is and i was expecting unreleastic speed. Anyway, im still probably go for the ipad 2.
    (RIP Steve Jobs)

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

always difficult to compare ones in store compared to brand new...I have no problems with lag to be honest. Not enough for it to matter. Once you click it is normally very quick loading.

25. KDNYC macrumors member

Glad you decided to buy it!! I just ordered a refurbished iPad2 from Apple. (I sold a netbook and a bunch of stuff to pay for it.) My experience with refurbs from Apple has been pretty good.

The iPad is mid-cycle. A consistent annual update would mean March/April at the earliest, and I think that might be a little optimistic. Apple is pushing iPad2 sales through the holidays.

The only reason not to buy a new product would be if it's close to end of cycle, and the iPad isn't. I don't believe the price will drop much, if at all, in the meantime. IOS5 will make it ... shinier :)

The other advantage of buying now is that you can look up app user reviews, and save money and time by getting a good sense of what apps work well.

now if only fedex would hurry up and get here! My case and adapter (for classroom vga) are coming tomorrow.