Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvigue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
i got the new iphone4 with new att service (never had it before) last firday. i LOVE LOVE the phone, but MAN the service is soooo spotty. i mean one moment sitting on my couch with FULL signal, (not holding the phone) and the next 1 bar? WTH??

with my other carrier (tmobile) i have full bars everywhere where i live. and getting my gmail though exchange seems to take forever. it says loading and Loading for ever. it always does it..

i am thinking if this does not change, i might have to give it up before my 30 days, but i love my phone...

UPDATE:idont know what happened, but i got up this morning, was boxing up my iphone, decided to check it, and i am getting 157k speeds now, all over town...

do you think that they found a problem or is this just because it is early in the am and no on is using the network? i am going to test all day.

BUT i am getting way better signals now, at work before i got 1 bar, i have 4 now...hummm, maybe i will get to keep

UPDATE #2: ran fine this morning, now its back to 15kb speed tests. but it only lasted about 15 min.. one other thing. when i get those crappy speed tests, my battery drains like crazy, BUT i have almost full signal...man i wonder if this is a faulty phone...

ginsengbomb

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Wait, wait. Are you saying that AT&T's service is spotty? Good god, man! Please keep us posted on this new development!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
1, do you have a bumper on it

2, if no to 1 then get one if yes then take it back and get it swapped.

dvigue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
1, do you have a bumper on it

2, if no to 1 then get one if yes then take it back and get it swapped.

yes, i know its spotty, but its strange, i mean, sitting there, FULL bars, then one? and not touching it? strange...

yeah, i do have a bumper around the band....i got it at best buy..should best buy echange it for me if i demand it? are they able to??

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Now i totally understand why Apple actually uses the "Apple" symbol as their logo..

Their equipment is like a batch of bad apples and the first thing you do when you find a bad one is you toss it/swap it out for another one..

Like i think the most used answer on these forums is either:

1) Swap it out
2) Cool story bro (one of my favs)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
yes, i know its spotty, but its strange, i mean, sitting there, FULL bars, then one? and not touching it? strange...

yeah, i do have a bumper around the band....i got it at best buy..should best buy echange it for me if i demand it? are they able to??

If you're fretting over the phone after only a couple days of ownership...return it. It only goes downhill from here on out. Welcome to AT&T:D

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
given your updates, you might want to take it back to Apple and ask them to check it out and maybe get a replacement. AT&T fairly sucks where I live, too, but it consistently sucks and doesn't jump around all over the place. Also, a weak signal usually means the radio is cranked up and that sucks down the battery but you shouldn't be seeing that with full bars. First try Setting->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings. If that doesn't do anything restore it and see if that helps and so you can say you did that should you take it in to be looked at. If that doesn't do it, then take it to Apple.

Also, you may have the option of getting a microcell from AT&T if you really want to continue service and the problem lies there.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Did you say FIFTEEN Kbps? Are you sure you're not on edge and only think you're using 3G? Do you see a little 3G upper left corner? Even very bad 3G is way faster than that.

a7287cd9.jpg

Godzirra!

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Pacific Ocean, Japan
I have actually gotten 15 on several occasions and i am trying to decide the saw thing. Take it back to AT&T and get the droid x and wait it out for a verizon iPhone or just keep the completely ****** service? Damn i wish there was another media focused phone as good as the iPhone on a different service provider.

dvigue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Did you say FIFTEEN Kbps? Are you sure you're not on edge and only think you're using 3G? Do you see a little 3G upper left corner? Even very bad 3G is way faster than that.

a7287cd9.jpg

yes i know i am not on 3g..im talking about EDGE

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
yes i know i am not on 3g..im talking about EDGE

So you got an iPhone and signed up for a data plan knowing full well that the best you'll be able to do is EDGE?

Do any of the providers offer 3G in your area? I love the iPhone as well but no way I'm using it on EDGE only---get an Android phone on a provider with 3G or if you must have iOS, pick up cheap dumbphone and get an iPod Touch. Just my $0.02.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Whatever you do, don't exchange at the apple store or you'll be screwed when it comes to returning to best buy for a full refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.