Might leave country in 1 year: best US iPhone plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarumaBlue, Sep 18, 2013.

1. DarumaBlue macrumors newbie

As a graduate student, there is a very real possibility that I'll be moving to Japan in a year. This makes signing up for a 2-year contract a little complicated. It seems that the major US carriers don't really waive ETF fees if you move to an area without their service (unsure about that, though) and the 1-year upgrade plans seem very expensive, though I haven't crunched the numbers.

Any thoughts on which service will be better for a consumer who MAY be moving out of the country in a year?

Cheers!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

No kidding. Recently there was a bit of news a carrier refused to waive EFT when the guy told them he was dying. No joke! So I think that hope is doomed.

Isn't EFT pro-rated(?)

4. Spacial macrumors 6502

Hope is never doomed, but scamming businesses is a low life scheme.

ETF policies vary by carrier.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes but not usually in the customer's favor.

For example, AT&T's $325 ETF is reduced by $10 per month over 24 months. If you cancel on the 29th day of the last month you still owe a $85 ETF.

6. 0007776 Suspended

Pay full price for the iPhone and don't get a contract. If T-Mobile has good enough service where you are go with them as their plans are actually cheaper if you don't use the subsidy, otherwise any carrier should let you do that.