Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigt305234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Hi, everyone!

Is it possible for some AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus phones to work with Verizon?

Before you tell me, "AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 and 7 Plus phones will never work on Verizon," follow me on this.

I know Apple has said that the AT&T and T-Mobile phones are not CDMA-compatible and that CDMA compatibility is required for Verizon service. However, I also understand that some AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus phones have the Qualcomm modem inside, which is almost certainly the same modem the Verizon phones have inside.

It makes me wonder: If I was lucky enough to have gotten an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus with a Qualcomm modem in it, might it work flawlessly with Verizon?

If my unlocked T-Mobile phone happens to have a Qualcomm chip in it, I seriously doubt Apple or Qualcomm went out of their respective ways to permanently disable the CDMA functionality in the Qualcomm chip. I doubt Apple ordered a separate Qualcomm chip that is CDMA-incompatible or that Apple wrote code into iOS that permanently disables CDMA functionality if the modem chip is CDMA-compatible at a hardware level.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Or has anyone tried to activate an AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 7 on Verizon; and if so, what was the result? I would really like to find this out without having to buy a Verizon Prepaid sim card and try it myself, as this question has plagued me since I ordered my phone on pre-order day (they forced me to get the T-Mobile version because I wanted to pay for the phone in full and didn't have a Verizon account). :)

Also, as a side question, without opening or jailbreaking the phone, how does one check their iPhone 7 Plus’s modem brand?

Thanks!

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
From Apple's website, it doesn't seem likely. This is why the Verizon version is always popular on launch day because it's universally compatible and unlocked.
99b81ff0ea7432e04ea8ad536cf83991.jpg

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
It makes me wonder: If I was lucky enough to have gotten an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus with a Qualcomm modem in it, might it work flawlessly with Verizon?

If my unlocked T-Mobile phone happens to have a Qualcomm chip in it, I seriously doubt Apple or Qualcomm went out of their respective ways to permanently disable the CDMA functionality in the Qualcomm chip. I doubt Apple ordered a separate Qualcomm chip that is CDMA-incompatible or that Apple wrote code into iOS that permanently disables CDMA functionality if the modem chip is CDMA-compatible at a hardware level.

My understanding is that all T-Mobile/AT&T model of the 7 and 7 Plus will come with Intel chip only. and the Verizon/Sprint Model only comes with Qualcomm.

bigt305234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016

Sure. On PhoneArena.com:
"According to the latest report, the Qualcomm modem is in use on all of the Verizon and Sprint branded iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models. Meanwhile, Qualcomm and Intel split the modem chores on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units offered by T-Mobile, AT&T and most overseas carriers."
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumo...els-of-the-iPhone-7-and-iPhone-7-Plus_id85278

There are a few other stories out there from other sources, like Forbes, that state Intel and Qualcomm split the iPhone 7 modem business.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Interesting.
How could one verify if that is possibly happening with some AT&T or T mobile iPhone 7 models?
I have a T mobile 7 Plus.
Is there a way to find out the internal modem chip kind without borrowing someones Verizon sim card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.