Mightly mouse wont right click or move back and forward in browser?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by red42, Dec 2, 2009.

1. red42 macrumors regular

Hi can anyone help me?

I've just purchased a wired mighty mouse. I can't seem to get it to RIGHT click or move backwards and forwards in the Browser. I'm clicking the buttons on the side but to no avail?

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The side buttons can't be activated separately and aren't for navigation. You have to squeeze the mouse to use them.

Right-click is disabled by default. Also, bear in mind that the mouse is not pressure-sensitive, so the right click will only work if your index finger is not touching the left side of the mouse.

To customize your mouse, go to  -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse

3. red42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you again friend, is there a way I can go back and forward in the browser without moving my mouse up to the top every time? I'm so used to using the back and forward buttons on my Microsoft mouse. I'm shocked and saddened to learn I cannot do this in Snow Leopard? :(

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could try using tabs instead. If you click the scroll ball on a link, it will open in a new tab. You can customize tabbed browsing under Safari -> Preferences -> Tabs.

Alternatively, you could use Quicksilver with the Abracadabra plugin to configure gestures for back/forward.

5. Bensheim macrumors newbie

If you move the mouse to a blank part of a web page and hold down CTRL you'll get a menu. BACK is at the top. I use it all the time for precisely the reason you state: it saves going up to the top of the browser and hitting the back button.

:)

6. Cboss macrumors 6502

You can also use "command" + "[" to go back and "command" + "]" to go forward in Safari.

7. red42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't get it. Why so much complication? Why dont Apple just add support for left and right on the mouse? :confused::confused:

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Because most people don't need a back button on their mice? I have one and it's mapped to something completely different.

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

If this is important to you and you want an Apple mouse, return the Mighty Mouse and get the new Magic Mouse. The 2-finger swipe left and right works like a charm to go back and forward in the browser (and iTunes, Finder, and more). :)

10. red42 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi R6girl and all,

You know the Magic Mouse was my primary consideration when I bought everything just over 2 weeks ago from Malaysia. If they had a wired version I'd have bought that without a second glance at the older mighty mouse.

However it uses Bluetooth and we are a wifi/bluetooth free zone here. I have a close friend diagnosed with a brain tumour so we're just on paranoid mode. I have deactivated Bluetooth on the Mac Mini I'm using and I won't be turning it on any time soon.

11. red42 thread starter macrumors regular

Erm people I have developed another problem. Now the Mighty Mouse sounds like a real mouse. Its squeaking from the front end. I do have some WD40 to hand. Should I lubricate?