Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I am going to live to Germany. I really want to learn the language well!!! I´ve thought on buying the Miglia Mini that comes with the EyeTV software. This with the purpose to use it as a didactic tool to help me learn the language.

My intention is to record any Tv program or show, and then work through the recorded part until I fully understand the German in it.

I just have a few questions with regard to the Miglia and the EyeTv software:

1) Can I watch Tv with subtitles, and record any program with subtitles when I use EyeTV with the miglia. (It is very important for me to be able to read the dialogues, that´s why I am so concerned about the subtitles) ??

2) I understand that the basic thing in order to have a good reception is to have an antenna of adequate size. How big should it be, are there any brand and models that you may suggest. (I really want to see as many
channels as possible)

3) How much variety will I get, is it really true that one can only see a handful of channels with this device and software??

4) Can I record to MPEG4 my recordings (By the way what´s the difference between MPEG4 and MPEG2 - I think I may only be able to see MPEG4 ???

Thank you very much,

Ignacio.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I can't help you with much of it but there are different areas of signal in different parts of the world. There are reception blackspots where no channels can be found but 98 can be found in others.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
5) Oops, I forgot to ask, will I need final cut pro to edit the Tv recordings, or with the EyeTv software has its own editing software.
Thank you again,
Ignacio.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
igmolinav said:
5) Oops, I forgot to ask, will I need final cut pro to edit the Tv recordings, or with the EyeTv software has its own editing software.
Thank you again,
Ignacio.
depends how much editing you want to do. eyetv software will allow you to cut out commercials and export to other formats. removing commercials is quite fast. exporting is very slow, even on an intel imac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.