Migrated data from MB to new uMBP....lots more space is taken up on the HD..???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesryanbell, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Just migrated the data from my Macbook to my new uMBP. On my Macbook, there was about 120GB of my hard drive taken up. I tried to migrate the data from a Time Machine backup, which took about 6 hours. With four minutes left, I plugged in a USB mouse, and the migration froze (kept saying "4 minutes left" for almost an hour). I couldn't figure out how to back out of the migration....so I did something stupid. I just held the power button down. STOP. Probably dumb. Having said that, I figured if it didn't complete the backup, it'd just revert to "first time startup" screens, which it did. However, when I migrated the data this time, it's showing almost 200GB are being taken up. I've looked at the "get info" screen all over the hard drive, and I'm not seeing where the space is being taken up.

How do I do the following?

a) Get OSX back to where when I boot up, it's in the default configuration where it asks me if I want to migrate data (and only the programs/files from Apple are installed on the computer).

b) Check the disk to see exactly what is taking up space (like a pie chart or something).

I'm a rookie, obviously, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. rogair macrumors member

I'm experiencing this as well. Exact same conditions except the transfer was from a white MB to an Aluminum MB. Migration was canceled, machine restarted and now 130GB of space is taken up. I can't find it.

Only advise I have is to reformat/reinstall.

Anyone else?

3. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Apple just solved it for me. When the migration is interrupted, all of the "partially transferred" data is stored under "Users". Delete the old user (the one that didn't finish migrating, then REBOOT (this is necessary or you won't see the change when you do a "get info" on your hard drive), and then it'll be fixed. Worked like a charm. :)