Mike Tomlin made the list

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Sep 26, 2017.

1. kobalap, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

kobalap macrumors 6502

Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin, asked his football team to respond or not respond to recent events around "kneeling during the anthem" in a unified fashion (we all do it together, whatever it might be). Unable to agree on what action would both be supportive of their brethren in the NFL and not potentially interpreted as disrespect, the team decided to stay in the tunnel while the anthem played - the custom prior to 2009.

Apparently, this was insufficient. Displeased, the fire chief in the Cecil Volunteer Fire Station decided that Mike Tomlin needed to be added to the list.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fire-chief-uses-racial-slur-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-anthem-protest/

So, on the one side, we have athletes using peaceful means to bring attention to social injustices in the U.S. On the other side, we have the, "do as you are told, boy" crowd.

Mike Tomlin, not wanting to introduce any additional fuel to the flame is on neither side. However, as he is black and was not doing as he was told, made the list anyway.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure where Cecil is, but looks like this guy got rightfully shitcanned.

Still don't agree with kneeling during the Anthem/flag, but this is definitely not acceptable.

3. jerwin macrumors 68020

Really, why didn't you accept this? And why is this your decision to make?

4. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

I think he means it is not acceptable to him.

Just like flying the nazi flag or the confederate flag might not be acceptable to some people in the US. (Personally, I find people flying the confederate flag to be disrespectful to the memory of all union soldiers and minorities but particularly black people but I think it is every bit a person's right to do so on their private property or any public areas where no official government business is taking place.)

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

Don't be so mealy mouthed. Individual human agency is what's important here.

If you wish to defer to some abstract notion of authority, come out and say it.

I don't find the Nazi flag to be "unacceptable." One can choose to exercise the first amendment in any number of ways. But I do think that people who fly the Nazi flag are, as a general rule, *******s.

6. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

As I am an adult, I think I allowed my own opinion. Just as you are allowed yours.

My opinion is that flying the Nazi flag is just as abhorrent and unacceptable as flying the confederate flag. However, in this country, an individual can fly whatever flag they want on their own property. They can even fly those flags in public demonstrations. Heck, let them fly the ISIS flag if that is what they stand for.

And I am not deferring to some abstract notions of authority - those rights exist because of the first amendment.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's my opinion, and since I have family who served and one currently on deployment I'll stick to it.

It's easier to kneel than to actually do something about the problem. Next they'll change their Facebook pictures with a kneeling overlay because that will fix things.

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

and what would "actually doing something about the problem" actually entail?

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And the fact that our government wants to destroy our rights and since people still support trump what can be done to change things.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

What should they do about it? Many famous protests by blacks in the past were not huge acts of change... Rosa Parks simply 'sat down', would you say 'its easier to sit than get up and do something' to her form of protest? Obviously the legal ramifications were different, but hell, Trump would fire the NFL players, and if it weren't those pesky laws and rights that protect citizens, he'd probably have them arrested as well. And it certainly isn't because he's some huge flag-waving patriot